Anyone feel like "falling off the wagon" after a couple of w

Options
Anyone out there feel like falling off the wagon after a couple of weeks? For me, the first week was hard to stay under cals since I wasn't able to exercise. The next week wasn't so bad, it seemed like it was pretty easy to stay under cals with exercise and limiting my intake, and I wasn't too hungry. This week, I feel like I'm getting shorted, big time. I'm done eating long before anyone else (our kids are 3, 4 and 5 so they take FOREVER to eat, and we have to sit there with them, or they get to goofing off and don't eat at all, even when we set a 30 min limit to the meal, it feels like forever), and am starting to get hungry again. Just looking for a little support. I don't have much to lose, but I'm determined this time, our youngest is 3, time to loose the baby bulge. Thanks for listening! =)

Replies

• SushiPunk
    SushiPunk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    While you are waiting for your kids to finish dinner try drinking water or chewing on some sugar free gum so you don't feel the need to eat more.
  • judy02
    judy02 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hang in there Gaby, Try to focus on something else and then the food in front of you, i know its hard, I don't have kids but i see my sister in law struggling with the same thing! try having a glass of water in front of you instead of an empty plate!
  • k8washko
    Options
    Have you tried eating slower? Also drinking water during your meals can help keep you feel fuller longer. I always feel hungry, often times 10 minutes after eating. I have just learned to ignore it. Often times I chew gum, or distract myself in other ways to keep my mind off the fact that I'm hungry.
    You can do it!
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If you are actually still hungry...you may not be eating enough.
    I can't see your diary, so I don't know how many calories you are getting..
    I heard somewhere that it takes your brain about 20 minutes to register that you have eaten...so lots of people overeat because they don't think they're full....so eating slower would help for them.
    But if you're really still hungry 30 minutes after eating...you may just have to eat a little more...(something healthy like fruit?)
  • CrazyC8
    Options
    Hot tea helps me, especially if you get a flavor that makes you feel like you're cheating...like green tea with mint, or gingerbread.
  • cie247
    Options
    I feel that way sometimes as well, so you're definitely not alone! What helps me to stay motivated though is to recall how I initially struggled with other initiatives like reducing salt from my diet as well as soft drinks. The first few weeks (months for that matter!) were extremely hard, but I stuck with it and reached that "tipping point" to where it just became natural.

Nowadays, I cringe at the idea of putting salt on foods and as for soft drinks, I can literally hold a cold can of soda in my hand and not have the urge to drink it! ;-)

We'll all be the same way with calorie reduction in the very near future...hang in there!

Curt
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I think we all feel like that at one time or another when we're dieting. You're definately not alone :)
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I think we all know what that feels like. Ive fallen off the wagon more times than I care to remember, sometimes after a few weeks and sometimes after a day. There will be good days and bad days so if you hit a bad one, ride it out and wish for a good one tomorrow. If you have a whole string of bad ones then maybe now is not your time - there really is nothing worse than having a head full of cravings continuously. Step off the wagon for a day or two and try and get back on afterwards. I'm hanging on to that horrible feeling when I wake up the morning after I've blown it and at the moment, nothing is worth that.

If it really is getting too much try making smaller changes. A bit more walking, one less can of coke or cream bun. Then when you are ready to start over, you may not be completely back where u started. I wish you luck
  • VBos
    VBos Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    "the cake is a lie, the cake is a lie..."

"nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"
  • kaits108
    kaits108 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there feel like falling off the wagon after a couple of weeks? For me, the first week was hard to stay under cals since I wasn't able to exercise. The next week wasn't so bad, it seemed like it was pretty easy to stay under cals with exercise and limiting my intake, and I wasn't too hungry. This week, I feel like I'm getting shorted, big time. I'm done eating long before anyone else (our kids are 3, 4 and 5 so they take FOREVER to eat, and we have to sit there with them, or they get to goofing off and don't eat at all, even when we set a 30 min limit to the meal, it feels like forever), and am starting to get hungry again. Just looking for a little support. I don't have much to lose, but I'm determined this time, our youngest is 3, time to loose the baby bulge. Thanks for listening! =)

I've been making myself a giant salad, & then eating the regular dinner. That way it's not too many extra calories, but gets me to slow down, and I have more to eat. So maybe find something extra like that, that could fill you up more? Or enjoy a cup of tea or a yummy drink first, and then eat your meal...giving the kids a headstart?

You've been here at least three weeks, so you're doing something right :)
  • dbosh
    dbosh Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Another tip: As soon as you are done eating, excuse yourself and go to brush your teeth. That fresh feeling makes it easier to avoid going back to a snack.
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    HI! Two things really work well for me, one is put down your fork in between my bites and two drink plenty of water with my meal. I have the problem of after about a week or two, even if I am losing weight, that I want to just go off and eat something that "I really want" Well, if I do that I am done. I am and all or none kind of person!!! Hang in there and I know that it is harder for all of you that have meal times with your family. Our children are grown and gone out on their own and my husband is being so supportive with all of this. He makes his dinner every night except for Sat and Sun. That is when I cook. Anyway, when it seems to bother you the most, just close your eyes and vision yourself just where you want to be when this is all said and done!!! Best wishes to you!
  • 3kidsin3years
    3kidsin3years Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support, lots of good ideas, I'll have to start trying them out tonight! =) Probably more just a bad day than anything else, but it's nice to know there are awesome supportive people out there, even if we've never met! Thanks again!
  • 3kidsin3years
    3kidsin3years Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    "the cake is a lie, the cake is a lie..."

"nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"

Ha, ha, this is good. Now, with a string of b-days coming up (6 of them by the end of March!), if I can only believe this!
  • caburk02
    caburk02 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've not tried this, but if the food still on the table is what is triggering your urge to eat and you know you're going to feel hungry after waiting on the kids, how about making yourself two plates: one with the majority of your meal and a smaller one with either a smaller portion or one of yours sides or something? Then you can eat the majority of your meal like you usually would and, once the kids are done, you can eat the other part to satisfy that craving.

Also, check out soups (non-cream ones, that is). They tend to be more filling and have fewer calories. For instance, I made a seafood tomato soup tonight that only had 92.5 calories per cup! I was able to eat two cups of it, making myself absolutely stuffed/ill and I still have 500 calories for snacking tonight.

I wish you the best of luck. Just remember, all of this is really about self-discipline, not hunger, and we can all do it!