Supersize Me

Options
If ever you need to a reminder of why you're on this journey to better health just watch the documentary, Supersize Me. I know it's kind of an old movie but still makes you think.

I'm watching it on Netflix (again) because I have been craving fast food for a few days.

Just by watching the abuse this guy's body goes through, the cravings have passed. I got the message, loud and clear.

Replies

• ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Excellent movie!
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Yes I saw that awhile back and couldnt believe how fast food effects the body like that.. a real eye opener!
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Watch Food Inc too...that is a great one that opened my eyes to a lot of things!
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    That movie makes the want to indulge in fast food go away for me!
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    Kms1981,

Thanks for the info. Is that on Netflix, too?
  • slimyfishy
    slimyfishy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You want to see something TOTALLY GROSS? Check out Morgan's (the writer/director of Super Size Me) do his McDonald's French Fries (and various other foods) experiment. Here is the You Tube link. It really makes you think about eating junk food again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-ljW5YEdao
  • simplyblessed89
    Options
    Ugh - I was completely grossed out from all the details he had in his research. It's not even real food! Did anyone see the experiment someone tried by leaving a kid's meal (hamburger and fries) on the table for six months - and it never rotted!? Really, if bacteria rejects fast food ... what do you think our bodies think?

I used to eat fast food all the time because that's all my family used to buy, but now that I'm married and have my own son, I'm starting our own healthy food meals - that are fast!
  • faythe
    faythe Posts: 245
    Options
    Food Inc. for me was more of an eye opener than Supersize Me, you expect McDonald's to be unhealthy but it really shocked me how so much of the food in the grocery store is either unethically produced or really bad for you. Watch them both in a day and you'll be back on track for a long while!

For the record I work at McDonald's and there are ways to make healthy choices, but it is difficult. You are basically limited to eating the grilled chicken or maybe a quarter pounder with no cheese on a regular bun instead of the really big bun. It's a pain in the butt trying to modify the menu to be diet-friendly. EDIT for the obvious - don't eat anything fried! That includes the crispy chicken on McChickens and the premium sandwiches, the Filet-O-Fish, the nuggets and the fries.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I have not been able to eat fast food hamburgers at all since I saw that movie! It's seriously been years since I've had a hamburger that wasn't home made. LOL! DISGUSTING!
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    Ugh - I was completely grossed out on all the details he added in his research. It's not even real food! Did anyone see the experiment someone tried by leaving a kid's meal (hamburger and fries) on the table for six months - and it never rotted! Really, if bacteria rejects fast food ... what do you think our bodies think?

I used to eat fast food all the time because that's all my family used to buy, but now that I'm married and have my own son, I'm starting our own healthy food meals - that are fast!

i know what you mean. My 4 almost 5yr old watched this with me a few weeks ago. She no longer wants McDonald's. My husband said she shouldn't watch things like this. I know she may not completely understand but I don't want her to be that kid eating fries as her "vegetable" in the cafeteria. I need to teach her the right things now-she'll only be in Kindergarten in this Fall but will but exposed to so many 'bad" choices in her 1st "big -kid" school.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Food Inc. for me was more of an eye opener than Supersize Me, you expect McDonald's to be unhealthy but it really shocked me how so much of the food in the grocery store is either unethically produced or really bad for you. Watch them both in a day and you'll be back on track for a long while!

For the record I work at McDonald's and there are ways to make healthy choices, but it is difficult. You are basically limited to eating the grilled chicken or maybe a quarter pounder with no cheese on a regular bun instead of the really big bun. It's a pain in the butt trying to modify the menu to be diet-friendly. EDIT for the obvious - don't eat anything fried! That includes the crispy chicken on McChickens and the premium sandwiches, the Filet-O-Fish, the nuggets and the fries.

I agree Food Inc is more eye opening, I really enjoyed Food Matters (also on Netflix) it made me have moments of "Duh that makes SOO much sense!" and for anyone who's struggled with weigh loss FAT:What no one is telling you (again Netflix) is amazing, its very inspiring to see that there are other people who feel the same way and struggle with it. I'm not gonna lie I actually teared up during a couple of parts of the second one because I was like "God I feel exactly like that" but had never talked to anyone about it.
  • PokenStick
    Options
    If you want to have a greater perspective, watch Fat Head after watching Supersize me. It's on netflix as well.
  • faythe
    faythe Posts: 245
    Options
    If you want to have a greater perspective, watch Fat Head after watching Supersize me. It's on netflix as well.

Yes! I forgot about Fat Head. The guy in that one is humorous and gets his point across very well.
  • tracyL88
    Options
    i just got done watching this and WOW that is an awesome documentary! i don"t think i want fast food ever again!
  • jennigriff
    Options
    I saw that. Also the Big Mac someone left in a jacket pocket for a year and it did not go off. ughhhhhh
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You should be able to get it on Netflix. I rented it at blockbuster when my hubby let me pick the movie :) Needless to say I won't be allowed to pick the movie again :)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    mmmmm... McDonald's 99 cent double cheese burgers......