About to move to Ohio

Options
Hi,

I have been using MFP on and off for a while but am just getting into using it regularly now. I've found it's a real motivator to be able to chat to people with similar goals - so feel free to add me.

I'm currently based in the UK but will be moving to Cincinatti in a couple of months. I will be slimmer before I move :wink: (although I know it isn't realistic for me to be at my goal weight by then). I currently follow the Slimming World diet plan and love cooking/eating so it's working well for me at the moment.

I would love to hear from anybody in the Cincinatti area or any other Brits who have made the move across the pond.

If anybody can give me advice on areas with good schools/great places to live I'd be very grateful - we are moving with two children under 10 and the family dog. It's going to be stressful but also a great opportunity for the family.

Replies

• cindy1976
    Options
    I did the opposite hun, I moved here to the UK from Canada 7 years ago. I won't lie, it was difficult but once I made a good base of friends and had things to do where I wasn't relying on my Husband all the time I felt much more confident as well. Think of it as an adventure as I'm sure it will be!!

xx
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    The worst part about living in Cincinnati will be when the PITTSBURGH STEELERS beat the crap out of the Bengals twice every year! :)

You probably don't care about the American football yet - but living here - you will! Welcome and keep your eye on the goal!

Steve
  • suejake11
    suejake11 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My husband's family is from Cincinnati, and while I don't know all that much about it really, I do know that people who live there and who visit say it is a wonderful city. I hope you are able to connect with many people on here who can help you with whatever you need. Good luck to you!
  • ScottyLikesCake
    ScottyLikesCake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm quite nervous - my mum lives nearby and she helps out loads with the kids, so it's going to be quite a wrench.

I've been advised to take classes, join a gym etc so that I meet other adults and don't centre my whole life around the kids which I think is good advice.

Right now I'm a bit shell shocked by the whole idea and the great step into the unknown is daunting (and very exciting).
  • ScottyLikesCake
    ScottyLikesCake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The worst part about living in Cincinnati will be when the PITTSBURGH STEELERS beat the crap out of the Bengals twice every year! :)

That's not cricket is it?
  • cfred40
    cfred40 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Welcome to mfp and Cincy. I live in nky(northern Ky. across the river) It's a great area. Where else does a city thats broke, try to spend millions upon millions of dollars for a light rail cable car tran.sit that most of the residents don't want. LOL This may be a weight loss forum, but you can't talk Cincy without mentioning the chili. Don't believe the hype. Avoid Skyline, go for the gold (as in Gold Star Chili)

One of my managers at work is from England(We're still trying to break him in LOL). We share the same language but the words don't always mean the same LOL

Hope you have great success here on mfp and a smooth move to Cincy - home of the flying pig marathon.

P.S. to the steelers fan above Who dey! Who dey! Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengals? ...
  • monica208
    Options
    i dont live anywhere near ohio but you can try meetup.com to meet people with similiar interests