Quick and Easy Breakfast Ideas

Options
Ekaette07
Ekaette07 Posts: 29 Member
Hello!!

I am always rushing to work in the morning and I don't have time to do alot for breakfast. I usually have a Chiobani Greek Yougurt, but that's not enough calories.

Is there any suggestions for a quick and easy breakfast that's under 400 calories, but will still go well with my yogurt (although I am willing to move that to a snack)?

Replies

• Shan605
    Options
    I have a box of instant Quaker Oatmeal packets in my desk for those days i just dont have time to make breakfast.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I add berries, fresh or frozen, to my yogurt along with some walnuts or lowfat granola. yum
  • himymfan
    Options
    slice a banana and add it to the yogurt. That adds 100 calories. Also have a rice cake (only 30 cals) with jam or peanut butter on top (adds as many cals as you want + more protein if you opt for a nut butter)
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Make some high fiber muffins on the weekends to grab in the mornings. I made some with oatmeal, applesauce, whole wheat flour, flax seed, and a few egg whites (message me if you want the exact recipe). But it's two muffins for about 220 cals and they're full of fiber. If you need more cals/protein, add a bit of peanut butter!

Hard-boiled eggs are always good too =)
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    I have a protein shake in the morning with fruit and about 12 almonds. If I have time instead of a protein shake I eat 4 - 6 egg whites with fruit and a few almonds. And of course, my cup of coffee.
  • nofwordallowed
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is to have some granola that had some melted peanut butter mixed in. You can even add a splash of your morning coffee to add some flavor. Don't knock it until you try it! :-)
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I add berries, fresh or frozen, to my yogurt along with some walnuts or lowfat granola. yum

Me too! Keeps me humming through til lunch!
  • shellia
    Options
    Make a Quiche on Weekends. The one below is awesome and low calorie. I freeze it up after baking then pop in micro during the week.

Ingredients

1 medium onion, diced
    6-oz fresh baby spinach
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup egg beaters (liquid substitute)
    1/2 cup all purpose flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    pinch cayenne pepper
    1 1/3 cups non fat milk
    1/2 cup feta cheese

Directions
    Preheat oven to 400F.
    Lightly grease a 10-inch quiche/tart pan (or a pie plate)
    In a medium frying pan, cook diced onion with a bit of vegetable oil (or cooking spray) over medium-high heat until translucent and tender. Add in fresh spinach and cook until just wilted. Set aside to cool for a few minutes
    In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk in milk, then stir in spinach-onion mixture.
    Pour quiche base into prepared pan. Top with feta cheese.
    Bake for 25 minutes, or until center is set and the outside edge is golden brown.
    Let set for 5 minutes, then slice and serve.

Number of Servings: 6

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user JENNLOVE.

Number of Servings: 6

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 6
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 142.0
    Total Fat: 5.5 g
    Cholesterol: 83.3 mg
    Sodium: 248.8 mg
    Total Carbs: 13.5 g
    Dietary Fiber: 2.2 g
    Protein: 10.6 g
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If you have time the night before I make egg sandwiches:

1 whole wheat english muffin
    2 egg whites ( I microwave them in this nifty Noridc Ware egg cooker i have - takes 1-2 minutes)
    1/4 cup black beans smushed and 1 tbsp salsa mixed together
    1/4 cup low fat cheese (cheddar or mexican blend)

This is about 300 calories and is so good! It literally takes me 5 minutes to assemble. I just wrap them in foil and put them in the toaster oven to heat up, you could also nuke them for a minute or two as well. (My only tip if you are going to reheat in the toaster is to spray the foil you wrap it up in with cooking spray otherwise the sandwich still stick).

you could add some ham as well or turkey bacon if so inclined.
  • Ekaette07
    Ekaette07 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Lol. That was fast!
    Thanks for all the ideas. I'm going shopping this weekend so I definitely have some thoughts of how to improve my breakfast options!
  • ccrawshaw
    ccrawshaw Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I usually grab a banana and a fiber bar on my way out the door. You could even add a cup of 2% milk and remain under 400 cals. Easy to eat on your way to work without any time demands.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    3 egg whites 1 egg yolk (optional)
    1/4 cup chopped peppers
    3-4 precooked mushrooms chopped
    1 whole wheat/whole grain wrap
    1 tbsp salsa (go for a natural one low sugar)
    2 slices of butterball turkey bacon
    use pam oilive oil cooking spray cook eggs/peppers/mushrooms till done
    same for the turkey bacon (I like mine crispy)
    put on wrap top with salsa and good to go
    I make this in under 16 mins in the morning
    runs in at around 350 cal .
  • fairyleo
    fairyleo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    here are some of the things i eat for breakfast. i'm always in a hurry, but never miss breakfast or i can't function lol. i need filling foods and these all have a decent amount of carbs, protein, fiber, and good fat.... i also boil eggs while i get ready for bed at night or while i'm getting ready for work in the morning. i drink coffee with a 1/2 cup of fat free milk every morning too. here are some ideas, i hope it helps:

*fiber one original cereal and frozen blueberries, add 1/2 cup of each to your yogurt (about an extra 106 calories to your yogurt) or add to a 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese (about 206 calories)

*4 hard-boiled egg whites, 1/2 cup instant oatmeal w/ 1/2 cup blueberries and 1/2 tblspn of almond or peanut butter (just add water and pop in the microwave) (about 314 calories)

*1 whole hard boiled egg, 3 hard-boiled egg whites, 1/2 cup instant oatmeal w/ 1/2 cup blueberries (about 330 calories)

*la tortilla factory whole wheat (low carb/low fat & high fiber) filled with 3 egg whites, turkey slices, 1/4 avocado, and cheese. wrap it up and eat it with an apple or other fruit on the side

there are many ways to mix it up... :tongue: