Prayers for my Grandpa and Family

Options
Hi,

As some of you know, I'm a Hoosier girl who has been living 1800+ miles away in Canada for the past 2 years. My entire family is back in Indiana and we're going through some rough times. My mom's dad, my grandpa, has had Alzheimer's for awhile now. He was really going downhill fast. He was put into a nursing home fairly recently because my poor grandma was unable to take care of him on her own. She's withered away to 90 lbs because of the stress and we know she's not eating or sleeping much at all. Since my grandpa went into the nursing home he's had problems. First another patient pushed him and he fell down and hit his head hard. Then he got pneumonia. He's been in the hospital for a week now on a respirator, unable to breathe for himself. They've got him on medication, but he has had a massive stroke while under sedation for the medication. So massive that the respirator will be turned off on Friday. My husband and I will be flying home on Thursday to be with my family and for the inevitable funeral to follow early next week. It's such a hard decision for everyone, but he's literally a vegetable at this point, staying alive with a breathing and feeding tube and unable to wake up. The doctors have assured us that it will be a peaceful passing. This is such heartbreaking and numbing news that I'm not sure how to cope. I know that my mom and grandma are beside themselves with grief, and I worry about my grandma now. She seems to have lost the will to eat or take care of herself because it's the last thing on her mind right now. I know we'll get through it, but... losing a loved one is hard, as you all know. And it's really not easy being so far away from them right now.

If you have a moment, please send a prayer my grandpa & grandma's way. And to the rest of my family. We're a really, really close family and even though I'm far away physically, we've always been very close. The good memories I have of my grandpa span back to some of my very first memories on this earth, and this coming week is going to be hard for all of us... especially mom and grandma.

Thank you, my MFP family <3

Replies

• pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hi,

As some of you know, I'm a Hoosier girl who has been living 1800+ miles away in Canada for the past 2 years. My entire family is back in Indiana and we're going through some rough times. My mom's dad, my grandpa, has had Alzheimer's for awhile now. He was really going downhill fast. He was put into a nursing home fairly recently because my poor grandma was unable to take care of him on her own. She's withered away to 90 lbs because of the stress and we know she's not eating or sleeping much at all. Since my grandpa went into the nursing home he's had problems. First another patient pushed him and he fell down and hit his head hard. Then he got pneumonia. He's been in the hospital for a week now on a respirator, unable to breathe for himself. They've got him on medication, but he has had a massive stroke while under sedation for the medication. So massive that the respirator will be turned off on Friday. My husband and I will be flying home on Thursday to be with my family and for the inevitable funeral to follow early next week. It's such a hard decision for everyone, but he's literally a vegetable at this point, staying alive with a breathing and feeding tube and unable to wake up. The doctors have assured us that it will be a peaceful passing. This is such heartbreaking and numbing news that I'm not sure how to cope. I know that my mom and grandma are beside themselves with grief, and I worry about my grandma now. She seems to have lost the will to eat or take care of herself because it's the last thing on her mind right now. I know we'll get through it, but... losing a loved one is hard, as you all know. And it's really not easy being so far away from them right now.

If you have a moment, please send a prayer my grandpa & grandma's way. And to the rest of my family. We're a really, really close family and even though I'm far away physically, we've always been very close. The good memories I have of my grandpa span back to some of my very first memories on this earth, and this coming week is going to be hard for all of us... especially mom and grandma.

Thank you, my MFP family <3
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Lesley...oh honey. You and your family have my prayers. Bless your grandma's lil heart. You will be back in my town won't ya? If you need anything, just give me a call and I'll be there. Ok?

Big hugs to you sweetie.:heart:

Jonell
  • Fit2btied
    Options
    Awwww:cry: , I'm sooo sorry! I'm praying!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I will be praying for your grandpa and family. God bless!! :flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Prayers coming your way, sweetie! :brokenheart:

don't dwell on what's to come, just cherish what used to be. :heart:
  • marskids
    marskids Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hi Leslie,
    I'll definitely say a prayer for them; you and the rest of your family as well. Take comfort in one another.
    Safe travels.
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    definitely sending prayers your way!

My grandpa had a massive stoke a couple of years ago, after a long few years of his health dwindling away and my grandmother having to do everything to take care of him. He was hooked up to life support and our family made the decision to let him go....it was hard to do, but deep down it really is the best thing for everyone involved, especially your grandfather! And just as a word of encouragement. After my grandpa was buried, my grandmother just absolutely thrived. She of course missed him dearly, but having the burden of worrying and caring for him ever day lifted, she was like a brand new person. Making new friends, improving her health, and her general demeanor changed and was lighter. So, who knows there may be a silver lining to your tragedy as well!
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    :brokenheart: Sad! Heartfelt prayers going your way! *hugs*hugs*hugs* :flowerforyou:
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Last November we lost my husband's grandma from complications to a stroke. Similar to your situation we knew what was coming, but going through it was just something we dealt with as it came. Lean on your husband for support. You and your family are in my prayers.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. I'm praying for you and your family. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • pecksun8
    Options
    Our thoughts are with you and your family :heart:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    You and youre entire family are in my prayers to help you through this difficult time!! I am sorry!

Take care hun!
    -Tami
  • pinktoque
    Options
    you all are so wonderful. after an evening of trying to figure out last minute flights, what to do with our two dogs for a week and all of those little things, I'm exhausted. what a comfort to come here and see so many supportive and loving posts and prayers. it's brought tears to my eyes.

and shkaki, thank you for your story. there is hope for my grandma after all :heart:

/hugs Soup -- yup, I'll be in town -- thank you for being there, you're the best! :heart: do you know how badly I want to get together?! I just wish it wasn't like this the first trip back since finding you on here, because I don't think I'll be able to find the time in this chaotic trip :(

<3 and thank you to everyone
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    Prayers for the whole family. Thinking of you.
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. I can totally relate to every aspect, especially being far away. My father died when I was living far away as did my mother's 2nd husband. He was taken off his life which was a difficult decision done together with a clergy. The silver lining of his passing was that all the family were around him when he died. That is a real merit for the person dying. Most people die alone.

Recently, my in-laws have fallen into the same predicament as your grandparents. My father in-law with Alzheimers was placed in a nursing home as my mother-in law couldn't cope with him. They had to sell their house and make lots of changes. Not easy when you are in your mid 80s. My mother-in law has really suffered emotionally and fell twice breaking bones and requiring surgery so now she's in the nursing home as well and suffering mentally as a result. She's lost weight and can't sleep at night. What helped recently was taking her on a short vacation without her husband. Leaving the nursing home and the stress did her a world of good.

This is a very hard situation you are going through. Not much will make it easier. Being together with your family will give you strength.

May you know better times.
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry about your grandpa. It's hard to lose our loved ones. I'll be thinking about you this week and wish I could make a trip south for you too! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Margie
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    Sending lots of prayers your way. I can deffinatly tell you I know how if feels to be so far away and to feel so helpless. I am from Tennessee and living in Canada with all my family back home as well. These are the hardest times. When a loved one is sick/dieing/or has died. It's been 8 years here for me, and this aspect of it never becomes easier. Sending lots of love and well wishes your way.
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Oh, dear! Hugs from me, too. You have to be hard and think how proud your grandpa was of you! As hard as this decision is, think that his pains will be over. You sure need to tell your grandma that she has to take care of herself for you! You need her, and need her healthy. Prayers for you all. It's a blessing to have a close family and you can consider yoursevesf fortunate. Hugs again and :flowerforyou: - praying that peace settles in your hearts. When you miss him, just tell him that you love him - he'll know. :heart:
  • kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I will keep you and your family in our prayers. :flowerforyou:
  • pinktoque
    Options
    you all are so wonderful. I'm in the midst of packing and getting the dogs secured here at home for our trip at 6am in the morning and reading all of the loving words and support is so helpful that it brings tears to my eyes. :heart: thank you for all of your prayers and thoughts. They mean the world to me and the rest of my family.

<3