Jogging problem.

Options
I'm really into the elliptical machine, but when I can't make it to the gym, workout dvds don't always satisfy my workout fix. I wanted to start jogging around my apartment complex but it hurts my ankle and knee joints. Is there some specific way I should be jogging? Like is it normal for jogging beginners to experience joint pain? Btw, it's not arthritis or anything like that, I'm 20.

Replies

• melaniefrench1
    Options
    I get shin splints a lot (tendon trying to tear away from my bone), but there are exercises/stretches to do before and after running.
  • sarahTV
    sarahTV Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have not personally experienced pain, but I think that running in general can cause joint pain in some people. I think it has to do with how hard your 'striking' the ground or something. Did you have any previous injuries that would make your ankle/knee sensitive? You could try getting an ankle or knee wrap and see if the extra support makes a difference.

Maybe other people will have better advice, that was the best I could come up with :smile:
  • TLCrist
    Options
    It could be your shoes, I had a pair once that killed my knees. As soon as I replaced them, the pains stopped.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I think if you are wearing supportive enough shoes and stretching before hand, a little pain is normal when you first start out. Just be careful you are landing heel to toe and not too hard on the pavement.

Good luck!
  • teri_cmc
    Options
    You really have to have good running shoes that are appropriate for your degree of pronation. A running store is the best place to go to get fitted, especially the first time. Once you know if you are neutral, need a stability shoe, or need a motion control shoe, then you can venture out on your own finding better prices, etc. It makes all the difference in the world!
  • katzplay62
    Options
    If you're jogging around your apartment, are you on tiptoes? To keep from thumping the floor/ceiling? The act of running (for real) usually means striking the ground with the heel of the leading foot, rolling to the toes and pushing off. If you're compromising the motions because of limited space or noise concerns, you may want to rethink jogging inside.

My sister swears by the P90X dvds. She's on week 3 and her a** has been well and thoroughly kicked but she loves it. Even the soreness. :D

Kat
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Jogging can be pretty jarring on the joints, especially if you don't do it normally. Wear the right apparel; i.e. comfortable, light clothes, appropriate shoes, tied shoelaces, etc. Mind your posture and form also. You don't want to be hunched over or slouching forward in a jog or constant-pace run. And don't drag your feet. Pick them up as you're moving forward with a heel-toe stride, as with all types of lower leg movement. Also, loosen up the joints by stretching your entire body: legs, arms, back, hips, knees, calves, etc.

After stretching, I would recommend you start off with walking then increase the speed of your walk until you find a comfortable pace to start a jog. If light jogging feels fine, amp it up little by little until you reach your desired speed.

Keep in mind the terrain of your jogging path. A lot of rocks and dirt and uneven planes in the ground can also cause pain if you mis-step.

I don't know if your weight is a factor for your joint pain, but most of those on the heavier side have a lot of stress on the joints too. I know that was a factor for me, and I was in my early 20's also. And lastly, if you have chronic pain in your joints, go to your doctor. Just because you're young doesn't mean you can't have chronic joint pain.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for running shoes. When running take it slow at first so your muscles and joints can warm up and make sure you stretch afterwards. Running on a track is definitely better than asphalt. Your gym may offer running tips or classes. Pick up a few issues of Runner's World. It's a common problem for runners so there is usually an article in there addressing it.
  • cyoung8151
    cyoung8151 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I reccommend checking your shoes. The integreity of a running shoe breaks down even when they still "look" fine. The best money and time you will ever spend is going to a real running store- not a big box- and let them film you running on a treadmill. The experts can then fit you in a shoe properly. After that you need to keep track of how many miles you are putting on your shoes. Soon you will be able to tell when you need new shoes. I only put 250-300 miles on mine, but many people can get more.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Definately get fitted at a real running store and get good shoes. I started running in a $25 pair of shoes and had all sorts of pain. When I got my good shoes all the pain disappeared. Good running shoes are worth every penny. Now I buy the exact same shoes online for much cheaper.
  • chelcscarbrough
    chelcscarbrough Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! All of these tips were great advice that I had no idea about. Like I said, I'm a beginner, so all of your info was definitely helpful!
  • ColeyCannoli
    Options
    Shoes shoes shoes! Go to an actual running store and have them check your stride and arch. I used to hurt a lot when I tried to run but after getting a great pair of shoes I never hurt anymore. It is SO worth the money if you want to add running/jogging to your regular routine! It'll also keep you from hurting yourself in any permanent way.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    In addition to getting decent running shoes, be mindful of the kind of surface you are running on and avoid concrete/cement.