Beware: some items in food database are wrong

Options
I've noticed quite a few incorrect entries in the food database. Be careful that you don't over or under eat because of wrong data. For instance, I thought 300 calories for a cup of pasta sounded too high. When I checked on Calorie King http://www.calorieking.com it showed 1 cup of cooked pasta at closer to 200 calories. I think some of the discrepencies might come from people entering info from the nutritional facts on the box and not specifiying if the amount is cooked or not.

Replies

• Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've noticed quite a few incorrect entries in the food database. Be careful that you don't over or under eat because of wrong data. For instance, I thought 300 calories for a cup of pasta sounded too high. When I checked on Calorie King http://www.calorieking.com it showed 1 cup of cooked pasta at closer to 200 calories. I think some of the discrepencies might come from people entering info from the nutritional facts on the box and not specifiying if the amount is cooked or not.
  • shivers
    Options
    I've also noticed a few items will have the right calories, but then NO nutritional information. Like I'm pretty sure there's some protein in Salmon but one of the options I just clicked only had the amount of grams of fat. :smile:
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    yes.. this is a problem. Best lesson - when you add things to the database for sharing, add everything and also really note what the product is ie/ Brand/type specialty -- Hunt Pudding Cup 1% not just pudding.

Ahhhh, anyway!! Good Note!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    the ones with * before them were input by members. Some dont understand the nutritional info is important, other may not have looked at this for their own purposes.

When I find one of these I check my packaging and add/correct the item. Takes a minute and helps other MFP peeps.

have a great day!:bigsmile: