Alcohol?

spawngo
spawngo Posts: 6 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
Right. So I don't know about y'all, but I'm 21 and enjoy the occasional drink (or two, or three, or five).
I don't drink beer - I'm strictly a liquor gal. The only thing is, I don't drink liquor straight. I need a mixer! With dark liquors I prefer coke, and with light liquors I prefer sprite/7-up. But these are high in calories...
I'm trying to think of alternatives other than sodas - maybe juice, but that's high in sugar.

What do y'all drink?

oh, also - I don't drink diet ANYthing, nor do I consume anything with aspartame, acesulfame, sucralose, etc. I prefer not to put those chemicals in my body. Besides, they taste bad :P

I hope I don't sound like an alco ... ha!

Replies

• Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    tonic water???? soda water.... those r the only 2 i can think of if u aint into diet sodas :smile:
  • spawngo
    I do love a good gin and tonic :)

what would you normally drink?
  • emh009
    emh009 Posts: 14 Member
    i am right there with you on the drinking thing, except i love diet coke. I know it's not good for me, but it's one of my weaknesses. So for me, my go to mixed drink is a rum and diet. But if you want to go the non diet route, your best bet is probably a rose kennedy: vodka with soda water and a splash of cranberry. The soda water will cut the calories way down but you still get that bubbly fruity taste. Just whatever you do, avoid shooters! A Kamakazie can have 200 calories in it.. Not good!
  • spawngo
    oh wow! that rose kennedy sounds delish! I'm definitely going to have to try it! thank you :)
  • How about a nice gin & tonic with a lime? Tonic water isn't very bad calorie-wise? 1 cocktail might end up being close to 170 calories though.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    rum + diet coke for me :D
  • ardnassac
    ardnassac Posts: 18 Member
    I can't vouch for this quite yet, but I bought sparkling seltzer water with lemon/lime twist at the grocery store. I tried the vodka soda with a lime last weekend, and it just wasn't my cup of tea. I am going to try this hoping it has more flavor!

It is Canada Dry, No Calories, no sodium etc. Here's hoping it is delicious! I will let you know after the weekend.
  • Hoplost
    Hoplost Posts: 22 Member
    Try having still tap water with a dash of lime or dash cranberry juice to your drink .... good luck it's a tough one
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    If I remember correctly, Cosmopolitan and Mojito are both around 150 calories.

Crystal Lite and rum is popular here.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    I just don't drink. But, I'm 27, married and have 2 kids.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    I don't. Alcohol is about the worst thing you can have if you're trying to lose weight. It is TONS of empty calories - no nutritional value whatsoever. That said, if I do want something, I'll have a glass of wine, maybe a beer (which I know, is terrible for you). Wine doesn't need a mixer, but you could lighten it with soda water, making a spritzer.

If you can't stand wine, and only drink liquor, and don't drink diet - you're looking at TONS of calories in one swig. Like the others mentioned, there's tonic water, soda water, club soda, or just drink it straight/on the rocks. Otherwise, as soon as you add fruit juice, soda, or cream, you're basically drinking a dessert worth of calories in each little glass.
  • Unfortunately tonic has added sugar. I usually do gin/vodka with club soda. You could add a lime squeeze and some truvia (natural sweetener), splash of cran, pineapple or even just a squeeze of orange!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,537 Member
    Bring individual packets of crystal light -I use cranberry immunity but pick the flavor you like. I order a shot of vodka, large glass of water and mix it right there. About 90 calories for a good sized drink. Also, Target has the Skinny Girl Margarita packets and my friend said they are really good. Can't help you with the dark liquor but maybe diet coke?
  • JustJudy
    JustJudy Posts: 142 Member
    I am a Whiskey Girl: Crown and diet coke!
  • I am on another diet plan right now, but a couple years ago I did Lindora Weight Clinic. Since then I have stuck with what I learned there because it has seemed to be very affective.

When dieting stick to your high proof alcohols with limited sugars/calories. The three you should be drinking is:
    **Vodka
    **Whiskey
    **Scotch

When using a mixer you should only use Diet Sodas or Soda water. With soda water squeeze a couple lemons and a lime; ,ales for a great cocktail =)
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    use tonic or club soda, and try adding your own flavours like a touch of fruit juice, and stevia if you need it sweet but dont want unnatural sweeteners...
  • kclm13
    kclm13 Posts: 1 Member
    Vodka Soda with a lemon and a lime (the spash of cranberry juice also helps).
  • HollyLLillis
    HollyLLillis Posts: 113 Member
    Well, I don't drink much really but I have gotten to where I like the 64's and 55's of the light beer. Never really liked beer but I've gotten to were I do now, the light is much better tasting for me...
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    I drink flavored water (i usually get from walmart) they have a ton of different flavors and I mix it with bacardi. it's like zero calories and it's super tasty. We call them bottles of nothing :)
  • rebawagner
    rebawagner Posts: 199 Member
    UMMMM HELLO!!! What an awesome idea!!!
    Bring individual packets of crystal light -I use cranberry immunity but pick the flavor you like. I order a shot of vodka, large glass of water and mix it right there. About 90 calories for a good sized drink. Also, Target has the Skinny Girl Margarita packets and my friend said they are really good. Can't help you with the dark liquor but maybe diet coke?
This discussion has been closed.