Thinking about HCG...

Options
Hello...So I'm curious about the HCG diet. I was wondering how many of you on here have ever tried it? Also, which method did you take? I've been looking into to it for a while now but keep putting it off. I know someone personally that has done it and has been very successful in doing so. (She's dropped 26lbs in a month on her first cycle) She plans to do 3 cycles and be done. I'm only looking to do it once. Just to give me a kick start ya know? I was just wondering what those of you who have actually tried it, thought about it and your experience with it. I'm debating on whether or not to try it and was just looking for any info anyone of you might have...Thanks!

Replies

• RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    looks like a scam, smells like a fad, tastes like crap. do it the "healthy" and "real" way... it's for life... eat well, move more.
  • Lowfatbrownie
    Options
    looks like a scam, smells like a fad, tastes like crap. do it the "healthy" and "real" way... it's for life... eat well, move more.

i love this and she is right diets are good for a little bit of results but you have the best thing right here a food log and support and paired with excerise you will me you goal it may not be fast but its the right thing
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    From what I have seen, and I avoid drama in my online life...lol, this conversation gets fairly heated so you have to take everybody's opinion with a grain of salt and do what makes sense to you.

That being said, I am VEHEMENTLY opposed to this one. But I am opposed to pretty much anything that has you do something in extremes. I feel the same way about this that I do about atkins. From my understanding of this, the program has you on a 500cal diet for a certain amount of time. I am not a health expert but I know that 500 calories isn't enough to keep my body functioning, and i don't think it can keep most bodies functioning.

When you go back to a "normal" number of calories your body is going to start screaming with delight and hanging on to every bit of food you eat for fear that you are going to starve it again. And then you start all over again, except it is harder this time because you have gained more back and your body is smarter about not letting go of the fat.

I agree with the "do it for life" kind of mentality. Eat smart, move your body, get enough water and sleep... treat yourself once in a while because we all deserve it. If you want your body to work for you, you have to fuel it.
  • Tarah1357
    Tarah1357 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I can definitely understand that, and she is right. It's just been something I've been thinking about. I have been doing really well with eating the right way and exercising 5 days a week and I feel better, and it's working, but it just seems so appealing to me to get that little extra boost. Maybe it's all the hype that it's been getting lately, I don't know! AHHH I'm so confused. lol
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I would do just about anything for the body I want, but I wouldnt do this...no offense to people that do it, but I wouldnt do it..
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Ok, I will sum up my opinion first- and then provide medical evidence.

You follow a 500 calorie a day diet for 21 days or so. The hCG is supposed to help your hunger pangs. Perhaps in injection form, however hCG is ILLEGAL to put in homeopathic drops. Keep this is mind when you see them at $60 a bottle. They're fake, if they're not, they're illegal.

Yes it works. So does cutting off your legs. You will burn lean muscle tissue as well (you'll be losing weight too fast to hold onto it) which will drive your metabolism into the toilet. The claims are hCG stops this from happening. Medical evidence proves it doesn't.

So yes, you can lose the weight and then eat like a bird the rest of your life (because you'll have no muscle left to stoke your metabolism), or you can do subsequent "rounds" every time you gain weight.

If you want to spend money, spend it on the ebook "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tom Venuto. It's about burning off fat, not losing weight. Better yet, send me your email, I will email you a copy :smile:

Now the medical (I know, I know the FDA is controlling and hiding the secret of weight loss from us for all these years- before I get the comments that the government doesn't know everything) :laugh: :tongue:

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition: 1976

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/137/2/151

"Mean weight loss in the HCG-treated group was nearly identical to that achieved by women given the placebo."

Journal of the American Medical Association: 1977

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/29/9/940

"Twenty of 25 in the HCG and 21 of 26 patients in the placebo groups completed 28 injections. There was no statistically significant difference in the means of the two groups in number of injections received, weight loss, percent of weight loss, hip and waist circumference, weight loss per injections, or in hunger ratings. HCG does not appear to enhance the effectiveness of a rigidly imposed regimen for weight reduction."

British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology: 1995

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8527285?dopt=Abstract

"We conclude that there is no scientific evidence that HCG is effective in the treatment of obesity; it does not bring about weight-loss of fat-redistribution, nor does it reduce hunger or induce a feeling of well-being."

South African Medical Journal: 1990

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405506?dopt=Abstract

Subjects receiving HCG injections showed no advantages over those on placebo in respect of any of the variables recorded. Furthermore, weight loss on our diet was similar to that on severely restricted intake.

WebMD: 2007 (Review of The Weight Loss Cure 'They' Don't Want You to Know About by serial conman Kevin Trudeau)

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/weight-loss-cure-dont-want-you-to-know?page=3

"Scientific studies have demonstrated that hCG injections do not cause weight loss, and regulatory actions by the Federal Trade Commission and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have curbed their use in the United States," says Quack Watch.org owner and director Stephen Barrett, MD.

//End Rant :drinker:
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I know five girls who did it. 2 of them lost over 20 lbs. One of them did it half assed and lost 12 lbs. The other two couldn't make it through a whole week. They ALL gained it ALL back. Quickly.