is being a little hungry okay?

Options
cuz I could eat a little horse right now :)

Replies

• ImBabyBunny
    Options
    Yep, it takes 30 mins for your brain to even know when your stomach is full its better to only fill it half way.
  • nelliemagee
    Options
    being hungry means that your body is going to its fat reserves and using them as fuel instead of the food in your stomach. so it is a good thing if you are trying to loose weight.
  • Sommer78
    Options
    I like the way you put that, I was wondering the same thing. Started new diet beginning of this week, was starving first day. Im just finishing up my 3rd day and it is actually getting better....
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You just started, right? Yep. You are going to be hungry. When I first started, I was almost constantly hungry for the first couple of weeks. Your body is not used to the calorie deficit yet. Hang in there. :flowerforyou:
  • SkierElle
    Options
    http://www.naturalnews.com/003550.html

I really like this article, it explains why hunger is going to happen if you are trying to lose weight and to be successful you need to get used to and be able to handle the feeling of hunger. Just not toooo much hunger!
  • peachea
    peachea Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    really??? so does the hunger pass?
  • rachelthefinn
    Options
    Really? That's good to hear. I always do well for a day or so and then my hunger takes over and I eat a ton and feel awful. Thanks for the advice, folks! :)
  • Lstrode
    Options
    I get hunger pains daily. I'm on week 2 or so.. but it makes me happy b/c my body wasn't used to feeling truly hungry. I would eat out of boredom. I just try not to get SO hungry that I feel sick.
  • peachea
    peachea Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    yep just started. thanks!

i read the article. it was helpful, thank you.

I do try not to stay hungry too long because I get shaky and confused if I don't eat something, but usually, when I feel hunger, I want to eat right away.

So what theyre saying is that being hungry is a good sign right?
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I HATE being hungry. I cannot lose weight if I am hungry. I find that if I eat mostly non-processed foods, if I eat small amounts that contain a balanced portion of carbs, fats, and proteins at each 'meal' and those meals occur every 2 to 3 hours I am not hungry. I used to be hungry all the time, but I found that experimenting and reading about what works for other people helped me tremendously. I am not diabetic, but the key for me is to keep my blood sugar at a steady level. Overeating at one sitting, skipping breakfast, and snacking on carbs always caused ravenous hunger. Now, I never eat a carb unless it is accompanied by protein and healthy fat.
  • wease1204
    wease1204 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @cbirdso - you're right.

Hunger back in the caveman days was meant to tell us it was time to start searching for food - not to eat right then and there! We are so used to the convenience of the fridge in modern times that we forget what it's like to feel hungry. but, in applying this to weightloss - hunger is obviously important because it tells us that our fat is being consumed by our bodies and this is a good thing. Also eating small amounts regularly (every 2-3 hours) will help curb that hunger and keep your metabolism in the fat burning zone.

Once you have shrunk or trained your stomach to accommodate the smaller meals, your hunger will subside. But in saying all this, you shouldnt feel hungry ALL the time as it could be an indication that you arent getting enough calories and perhaps slipping into Starvation mode - in which your body will begin to store excess fat. Thus you might not see a loss at all!
  • hotmooglelove
    Options
    Yeap, back in the old days those who weren't hungry in the summer died come winter. We are all now stuck with those genes (some people worse than others)

Try to find low cal high volume foods that create a feeling of fullness, and avoid the opposite (candies, sugary liquids, etc). For some people that's enough, for others you just have to be at one with the hunger until you can switch to maintenance mode.

If you still find it too unbearable, lower your weekly goal. It's healthier to loose weight slower anyhow =)
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I used to snack a lot so my body complains that I'm not snacking enough. I just drink some water and try to busy myself with other things. Usually, my body is happy and the hunger stops. If it doesn't, I consider having some fruit or maybe it's time for lunch/dinner. Try drinking water or snacking on something healthy :) It does take a while for your body to realise you've changed your fuel intake. Make sure you're eating enough calories to satisfy you're BRM, which is basically how much your body needs to keep itself alive before you even do anything! You can find the calculator on the tools page :)