Weight loss and calorie intake

Options
Does anyone know if my calorie intake changes the more i loose weight? I have lost ten pounds and when i recorded my weight it asked me if i want them to update my nutrition info because i have lost a certain amount of weight. well i thought that meant that my intake on calories would increase but it didnt i am still at 1240. does anyone know how this works or will my calorie intake never go up?

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Why would your calorie intake increase? If anything, as you lose, you will need to eat less to continue losing at the same rate.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    My calorie allowance has gone down as I have lost weight I started at 1360 and am now down to 1290 at the moment my weight loss is set to 2lb a week because I have often found that I will underestimate food cals and over estimate the exercise cals my theory is I should still lose the 1lb a week I would like I know when I change it to maintain which is quite a while a way yet My cals will go up x
  • laura4410
    laura4410 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes, your calorie goal will decrease as you lose weight, until you hit maintenance mode. Your BMR calculations must still be in the same range, which is why it didnt change. But, keep updating, and especially if your weight loss slows because that could be why!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    It will go up when you switch over to maintenance. The more you lose the less calories you will need in a day.

My BMR started out at 1520 and it is now down to 1480 after losing 6 pounds.
  • samara_334
    samara_334 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ok i understand but they have me at 1240 calories now and 1200 is considered starvation mode so how can they drop it any more than that?
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Well the answer to that is that as you get closer to your goal weight, you should start losing more slowly. For example, I started at 1lb/wk, but when I got to a certain point, my cals dropped too close to 1200, so I manually adjusted my calorie goal back to 1300/1350. But that means I am projected to lose only .7 lbs/wk.

So I would say the next time MFP drops your cals (say within the next 5 lbs or so) go in an manually adjust your cals to a place over 1200 that you feel comfy with. When you get to your goal, you will gradually increase your calories (manually) until you get to maintenence level recommended by mfp.

Does that answer the question you were asking?
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    you eat less the smaller you are, as a base line. but you can't really go lower than 1200, so you dont have much of anywhere to go
  • samara_334
    samara_334 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well the answer to that is that as you get closer to your goal weight, you should start losing more slowly. For example, I started at 1lb/wk, but when I got to a certain point, my cals dropped too close to 1200, so I manually adjusted my calorie goal back to 1300/1350. But that means I am projected to lose only .7 lbs/wk.

So I would say the next time MFP drops your cals (say within the next 5 lbs or so) go in an manually adjust your cals to a place over 1200 that you feel comfy with. When you get to your goal, you will gradually increase your calories (manually) until you get to maintenence level recommended by mfp.

Does that answer the question you were asking?

yes this does thak u very much!