I found this site b/c I felt like an idiot doing zumba

Options
.... so I googled "feel like an idiot doing zumba" and I ended up in a forum here! Luckily the general concensus is that if you give it 5-6 sessions, it will get better. I'm glad to hear that b/c even in my own home today the dog watching me do zumba was embarrassing...

Anyway, glad I found this site since any and all forms of support are appreciated. I've been doing WW since 1/1/11 and things are going okay - 10 lbs lost, 30 to go.

~Dana

Replies

• skynyrdchick
    Options
    I know what you mean about doing Zumba :o/ It sure isn't a pleasant sight when I am attempting it...LoL

Welcome :o)
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    you aren't alone!!! soooo many people are not very coordinated! Ive done Zumba at 3 different fitness centres and the majority of the class is always lost. I get lost sometimes but I am lucky that I am coordinated. I danced for 10 years. Zumba is fun though and as long as you are enjoying and and getting your work out on then who cares what you look like! good luck!
  • goalsaregood
    goalsaregood Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome title for a post--made me laugh. Glad you've joined and congrats on the 10 pounds gone!
  • patty6473
    Options
    Ha ha ha! You are not alone...My first zumba class was in front of a bunch of ladies who had been in the group for months. They were very serious about the class, and didn't laugh at themselves. I felt like a complete idiot with two left feet. To make matters worse, I was facing a huge mirrored wall, so I was embarrassed for myself. I bumped into the people around me, and burst out laughing every few minutes. I am surprised they let me come back. After about 8 sessions, I started to feel more comfortable doing to moves, but I am convinced I still look like an idiot! At least, I am an idiot who weighs 25 lbs less!! LOL
  • fouchou09
    fouchou09 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Zumba definitely gets better the longer you are at it! Besides, pretty much everyone in the class is feeling self-conscious at first! It's a great way to exercise and have fun at the same time.

Great job on losing the first 10 lbs, good luck with the next 30 :)

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on Zumba! It jump started my weight loss journey and can help you too. It doesn't matter how you look doing it...what matters is how much it makes you sweat lol!
  • swanysgrl
    Options
    Dana, I love doing Zumba at home as well, I am not coordinated but am thankful to stay in the orange and green more than in the red. But it really is funny when the dog is watching you trying to figure out what you are doing, I know mine does to me.
    Welcome to the group
  • samsam252525
    Options
    LOL Too funny! I didnt know they have zumba at home! i actually wanted to try it but didnt want to feel like an idiot in front of people i dont know!! !
  • Fit2_T
    Fit2_T Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I've been doing WW since July 2010. 4 more pounds till goal!
  • swanysgrl
    Options
    LOL Too funny! I didnt know they have zumba at home! i actually wanted to try it but didnt want to feel like an idiot in front of people i dont know!! !
    Sam, I have mine for the Wii, but know it is out for other systems as well.
  • NancySDA
    NancySDA Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just started doing zumba at home, too. I feel awkward and I KNOW I don't look anything like they do when I am attempting those steps. I do like any form of dance exercise, though.
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    About two weeks ago my husband was away on a business trip and (since I actually got to hold the remote) I was flipping and found the Zumba infomercial and that was all it took. All those flat stomachs..... sigh. So I've done it a few times, but today did Zumba for the first time with the right shoes and it made all the difference in the world. Now I just need to keep practicing... the dog actually looked embarrassed for me today.... But I SWEATED so it'll do something for me, no matter how I look doing it!
  • jparson714
    jparson714 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Dana, I'm with you completely! Our stories are so similar. Started after Christmas, lost 11 lbs and have 27 to go. When I first started both of my dogs looked at me like I was crazy. My Beagle actually tried to dance with me... we love to dance. They got used to it and so will you. I love to Zumba!
    Welcome to MFP and feel free to friend me!
  • Twinsytoo
    Twinsytoo Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Ya, you found us....lol good luck on your journey!
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    LOL, I feel like a total klutz doing Zumba too. Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Ditto to feeling awkward doing Zumba. Just got it for my Wii the other day and today was my 2nd day. Definitely makes you sweat and move. Only did 20 minutes but that was honestly enough for me today.
  • FILLE
    FILLE Posts: 45
    Options
    my zumba instructor laugh lots and kept saying have fun ... loved it but can't go anymore because of my shifts... i have it on dvd and it get easier as you continue to do it... I love to dance so this is just fun for me and i don't feel that I am exercising! good luck and welcome to the site ... you can add me as a friend if you want
  • StaceyJ75
    Options
    Wow.....I'm not alone. I tried Zumba for the wii and was so lost I gave up and haven't tried it again. Maybe I'll go back and give it another shot. Nice to know I'm not the only uncoordinated one out there.
  • SquidNebula
    SquidNebula Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Well... This has made me feel better.

I just bought Zumba 2 for wii and I tried it out.
    I felt like an idiot-- so I googled that much like some of the other posters and found this thread. (;

I'll give it a few more gos before I throw in the towel. I was hoping for a workout that didn't totally feel like a workout. I like the idea of having fun and getting in shape at the same time. I hope to reach that point soon... we'll see.
  • stephaniepullen
    stephaniepullen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I felt like an idiot the first time I went to Zumba, and still feel like an idiot everytime I go. But I sweat, and I do things I wouldn't do on my own when I'm in a class in front of other people. It forces me to push myself, so, for that, I love it!