Adding Strength training.... Need HELP!!

Options
So starting Sunday, I'll be adding strength training to my work outs. I've been trying to figure out the best way to do it, but there is a lot of conflicting/confusing information, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. My main questions are
1. If I want to tone, not bulk up, how much weight should I be using and how many reps/sets of each exercise should I do?
2. How many times a week should I do strength training to tone?
3. How long should each rep take me? I've seen guys slamming together weights and I've seen people who seem to be doing it
rather slowly, which is right? Does it matter?
4. What are the basic, must do exercises that I should include? I need all over toning.

Thanks for the help!!

Replies

• snrose
    snrose Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    i've always heard for lean muscle you do more reps with less weight. i think you should just go at a pace you feel comfortable doing! :) you should look into power 90 or jillian michaels 30 day shred if you have any weights at home! they are both really great for toning (in the p90 they have a different video for sculpting and cardio, i dont think the 30 day shred does)
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    Will you be going to a gym to do this? If so, see if a trainer will do a one-time walk through. Ususally they don't charge for that.

Good luck!
  • kjc7
    kjc7 Posts: 14
    Options
    I've always heard lighter weights with higher reps. 10 reps is "normal" in a set. Cut the weight in half and do 15 reps. That sort of thing.

The "best" weight training though that I've ever done is via Yoga. I know it sounds all "new-agey" but it really works. You'll get really strong, very fast.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    light weight high rep for toning muscle, high weight low rep for building bulk muscle is the general rule of thumb. You should not lift any heavier than you can handle meaning you feel the burn on the last 3 rep, this applies to toning or bulking. Weight handling will come with time. Eat 1 gram of protein for every lb of weight to gain muscle and post workout drink a protein shake with a high sugar carb like a juice, it will recharge the muscles and help them absorbs the proteins bettter. Also take a vitamin supplement if you do not eat many veggies. or add extra veggies to your diet to help recovery.
  • petey49
    petey49 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi: I found this site yesterday as I was looking for a weight routine I could do at home with hand weights. I gave it a try and found I could only do 2 reps of each set. Oh well it is a start. Tomorrow will be a bit better, maybe less reps but a full 3 sets.

http://www.myfit.ca/fitnessprograms/viewprogram.asp?title=Beginner Freeweight Program&programid=53

I am feeling the lunges in the butt today.
  • kaylynn723
    kaylynn723 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Unless you are in a gym 8 hours day lifting weights you will not bulk up! Use a weight you are comfortable with. 3 sets of 12 is a good start. If you dont feel the muscle get exhausted your not doing enough! A one time meet with a personal trainer is a vreat way to start!
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    1. 8-10 reps for bulk and 12-15 reps for toning is a decent number to go by, the last couple of reps should be really hard so if you are wanting to tone up then find a weight you can lift at least 13 times if that makes sense. Its all trail and error to get the weight that is right for you, write down the numbers too, even if you are toning up after time the same weight will be easier so you will need to increase it a little, going by the same rule as above.

2. Again lots of opinions on this, my opinion is don't work it if its sore....muscle soreness is all part of the process (a bit of cardio and a lot of stretching helps reduce it). My old rugby training routene which I am going back to was:

Mon: upper body Tues: Lower Body: Weds: Cardio Thurs: Upper Body Fri: lower body and the weekend off. (20 mins cardio before strength training) Granted that was for bulk but if you use lower weight with higher reps it should still work.

3. Weight lifting should really be called weight lowering...lol you do most of the work lowering the weight, good form is key to getting results, hard and fast roid monkey approach isn't really what you want, 2 up and 4 down (seconds) or something along those lines, exhale on the positive part of the motion (away from your body) and inhale on the way down.

4. I will let someone else answer this one as for toning I'm not sure if the same routine would be good.

Hope this helps,

Good Luck

Ben.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You won't bulk up unless you're eating a ton of food and seriously training for it. So don't worry about that.

I do upper body one day, lower body the next, one day of cardio only, then upper body, then lower body. But, I go to the gym 5 days a week. I do 3 sets of 20 reps for every exercise.

Upper body:

Bench press - 20lbs
    Shoulder press - 20lbs
    Sitting row - 50lbs
    Bicep curls - 30lbs
    Tricep extension - 20lbs
    Lat pull down - 50lbs
    Flys - 30lbs

Lower body:

Leg press - 120lbs
    Leg extension - 30lbs
    Leg curls - 30lbs
    Hip abductor - 30lbs
    Hip adductor - 30lbs
    Calf extension - 50lbs
    Glutes - 30lbs
  • sass30
    sass30 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Well you are a girl so you are not going to "bulk up" no matter what. Lift what you can to challenge yourself. When the weight starts to get easy go up another 5 lbs. When I started lifting I would do reps of 10-12, if it was not really hard by my 12th rep I would increase my weight. Currently I am lifting with reps of 6-8 and using heavy weights. I lift slowly, that way I am in control of my form and less likely to hurt myself and I think it is more effective than doing fast reps. I have been lifting for a couple of years and have not ever put on bulky muscle and I am a girl. since you are starting out I would lift 3 days a week. I alternate between upper body and lower body (different days). There are a lot of great threads on here about strength training, you should check them out. Don't be afraid of strength training, I have never felt or looked better! It's great to help get rid of the flab! Hope this helps.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    "...hard and fast roid monkey approach..."

I lol'd.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Unless you are in a gym 8 hours day lifting weights you will not bulk up! Use a weight you are comfortable with. 3 sets of 12 is a good start. If you dont feel the muscle get exhausted your not doing enough! A one time meet with a personal trainer is a vreat way to start!

I agree: unless you make a very serious effort, women do not have enough testosterone to get "bulky". I sit in the "lifting heavy weights is fabulous" camp :)

A good place to start might be doing a full body workout with 3 sets of 12 reps for each exercise. Include exercises for your:
    > Quads (like step-ups, lunges or squats)
    > Hamstrings (like hamstring curls or deadlifts)
    > Chest (like chest press or flyes)
    > Back (like pull-downs, pull-ups or row)
    > Shoulders (like shoulder press or raises)
    > Core (like plank holds or other abs exercise of choice)
    (If you have time, you can include exercises for triceps and biceps and calves).
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It might be easier to follow a workout program on DVD or a magazine with strength training in them. I enjoy ChalEan Extreme by Beachbody for a DVD and the magazine Oxygen (which you can also follow online).

You can start light with 10 12 reps and then as you get stronger and better you can increase the weight with less 8-10 reps.

You won't bulk up. You'll become leaner. you may weigh more but don't worry about a scale number. Muscle weighs more than fat yet takes up less volume.
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is a TERRIFIC book. Even if you don't do the workouts in there, reading it will give you so much information and get rid of any wrong ideas you have about weight lifting. You can even check it out at the library, but it's well worth the $12-$15 it is on Amazon. It really is great. Don't be afraid of weights. The majority of research shows that women should lift just like men do. In 99% of cases, women will not get bulky.