Discouraged with Curves

Options
I planned on starting to workout at Curves this past Monday. I called one day last week and they told me they had a special going on right for $150 for a year membership. Cant beat that eh? So I go in Monday evening fill out all my paperwork and the lady tells me that its $150 service fee plus another $40 a month. I was so mad I just stormed out of there. That actually gave me the motivation to go home and make out my own work out routine. Everyone keep me in your thoughts and hope that it works. I havent started yet but I plan to today when I get home from work. Wish me luck!

Replies

• leahmbass
    Options
    I planned on starting to workout at Curves this past Monday. I called one day last week and they told me they had a special going on right for $150 for a year membership. Cant beat that eh? So I go in Monday evening fill out all my paperwork and the lady tells me that its $150 service fee plus another $40 a month. I was so mad I just stormed out of there. That actually gave me the motivation to go home and make out my own work out routine. Everyone keep me in your thoughts and hope that it works. I havent started yet but I plan to today when I get home from work. Wish me luck!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    There's tons of stuff on the web about working out at home with no equipment.

Best of luck
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You are not the first of us to have had trouble with Curves or the "DIET SYSTEM" companies.
    I saw a thing on 60 minutes where they teach their UNTRAINED sales people.
    "IF THEY ARE CRYING THEY ARE BUYING!" :mad:
    Sorry not exactly the type of people I want to work out with. Especially the untrained part.
    You can do it dear!
    Just keep plugging away. and you will get there! :flowerforyou:
    --Diann...
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You are better off IMO. There is lots you can do without equipment and some minor investments will result in a Lifetime Membership in your own gym :)
  • angelac920
    Options
    Yeah you are better off without curves, I joined once a few years ago and unless you are EXTREEMLY over weight or older with limitations it doesnt really work, the sytem there does not seem to push your body like it should to actully loose weight and as the orther person said hte staff is not trained so how can they train you? Try the Y or if you have a planet fitness nearby they are fairly cheap. go to fitness.com they have a lot of at home tips without equipment.
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    leahmbass

some friends and I joined one year and about 7 months into it, I have to admit, I got bored! I love a variety of exercises and Curves is very limiting.

what you can do there, you can do double-time at home! Go for it! You can do it!!!

Angela
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Also check your local park district and see if there is a gym. I have one in our community center/aquatic center. It's cheaper than Bally's with great equipment, trainers and aerobic classes.

I am a type who can't work out at home. I have a treadmill but I hate staring at the wall. I need to be out of that element around other people working out with my iPod.
  • RiverCameron
    RiverCameron Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think if you've got $150 to invest, you can set up a really nice home workout area.

I work out at home. I've tried gyms MANY times, but it's too easy for me to make an excuse not to go (kids, worked late, they close too soon to do what I want to do, class is too crowded, instructor is annoying, too far to drive, workout clothes not clean, etc.) Working out at home forces me to face procrastination head on and it's easy to say "OK, ten minutes and if I'm still not into it by the end of 10, I can stop, no harm no foul." and most the time I'm into it by then, and if not, that's OK too, I haven't driven across town AND I haven't used the excuse of the drive to not do anything.

Gosh, I've been sitting here dreaming of what I'd do if I had $150 right now for fitness stuff :love: But this is you, not me, so what do you like to do? I and I'm sure others can make some suggestions on what you could get with the money.

Rose
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    The best gym I have been to was just $20 a month. Tons of free weights, several benches, lots of cardio equipment...all it needed was a couple more power racks. Of course it was in an old warehouse and didn't have much in the way of air conditioning, but it had character. :bigsmile: I'm sure there's a cheapo gym around that you can join and pick up a personal trainer for just a couple sessions if you need to. If not, buy yourself an array of dumbbells and a barbell with some plates, and you're on your way to a home gym.
  • Najah5150
    Najah5150 Posts: 170
    Options
    Yeah...as aslavich (Angela) said...she and I joined Curves. I liked it at first. I was so committed that I was there EVERYDAY...even sometimes twice a day. I got bored over time and stopped going. Finally ended up cancelling my membership. Althoguh I currently have a gym membership...I totally agree....you can get similar results by working out at home.

GL and I will be checking up on ya,
    Naj:flowerforyou:
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'd reccommend that you look for a place that sells gently used work out gear also check Craig's list, your daily classified and any place else in your area. I wish I had all of the workout equipment back that my wife and I have sold over the years. You can get some really good deals that way.

Also for anyone with money issues most of your local Y's offer subsidized memberships check with them.

Along those same lines there is no reason that you can't ask for a special deal at any local workout place. Ask them to waive the membership fees or give you three months free etc. etc. It's just business and the worst they can do is say no. Speak directly to the manager if need be,

:wink: