Calories burned running errands?

Options
Hi everyone!

I had NO time to do a workout today, and yet I am physically exhausted--really, I feel like I did an intense workout! I spent from 9:30 am to 7:30 running errands all over the city--which included driving, walking briskly through the stores (I always walk fast, especially when I'm not with children) and other places I had to go to, lifting groceries and other packages, etc. etc. It got me thinking about how many calories I'm burning doing all that. I've searched the web to see how I can calculate that, and although they all say that you DO burn calories running errands (and cleaning, and mowing the lawn, and gardening, etc), I haven't found anything that can give an estimate of how many calories are burned.

Of course, working out is best, but today I couldn't because of all the other things I had to do--I would like that to count for something!

Thanks for the help! :wink:

Replies

• katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I always use the theory "If its something I did when I was overweight, then it doesnt get logged as exercise." Or if its something I would do regardless of my weight or size, I wouldnt log it. Just know in your heart that you burned SOMETHING more than a typical day, but I bet there's a reason there arent any sites offering calorie burn amounts for "running errands".
  • llbates
    Options
    I am in the habit of including the walking under cardio when I do this, never thought to do the lifting of packages
  • liz_bolin
    liz_bolin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should think about getting a HRM. Start it when you are doing your errands and then stop it when you have finished.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Agreed, We can't count every cal when burn.