Late Night Snack

Options
I have a strange work and eating schedule... I work until 3am, so I eat breakfast around 11am, then lunch-supper about 6pm, and normally have a snack around midnight or 1am. I am was wondering if anyone else had screwed up hours like me and what would be a healthy but filling late night snack that I could have. I have been drinking a LARGE glass of water and a hard boiled egg or a bowl of oatmeal.

Looking for some great ideas, thanks...

Replies

• kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    That's almost identical to the schedule I keep.
    My diary is open, for anyone to go through it. I just won't take anyone bashing me, thank you. :) They're my choices and what works for me. Feel free to use any ideas or feel free to ask me anything.

Good luck. :)
  • anniebnannie
    anniebnannie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    my favorite late night snack is a fruit smoothie - frozen fruit from costco, 1 yoplait light yogurt, almond milk to get it to just the right consistency, a teaspoon of vanilla - then whip it all up in the vitamix - add a dollop of whip cream (where there are some calories but not many because the fruit has almost none. Oh - and this is enough for 2 people each having 8 ozs.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with some fruit. Greek yogurt has ~20g of protein per serving (the kind I buy does), is low fat, and very satisfying. It's bitter by itself so that's why I add fruit to mine.
  • pammyk66
    Options
    Wow! Good for you.....if you lost 92 pounds so far....whatever you're doing is definately working!:smile:
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good for you.....if you lost 92 pounds so far....whatever you're doing is definately working!:smile:

Thank you so much!! :)
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When I was working crazy hours, I depended on things like a small bowl of pasta plus an apple and a bar of some kind. I just found it filled me up. Perhaps try to have something with protein. Maybe a burrito using lean meat such as turkey and a wholewheat wrap? You could always bring salad with you in a small container. Personally, I'd go with the pasta and fruit route because that's what works for me.

Protein and carbs would probably help keep you full :)
  • bad6402
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are. You're body only knows your schedule, not the world around you, therefore it's okay that you eat at uncommon hours. If you are eating your late night snack before you go to sleep, focus on proteins and fats and little to no carbs(because you won't need much energy for sleeping) If you will continue to work afterwards, then have your oatmeal with eggwhites, protein powder, etc. Before bed I like cottage cheese(has slow digesting casein protein) and peanut butter. Goodluck!
  • jltison
    Options
    I work a 12 hr night shift 3 nights a week. I start at 6:45pm and end at 7:15am. It makes for one crazy eating schedule. So I don't get too hungry I try to eat every 4 hrs. The following are my go to snacks.

Homemade Trail mix: Banana chips, fruit sweetened cranberries/cherries, raw unsalted nuts(almonds, pecans, wallnuts). Somtimes I add pretzles for a salty change.
    Greek Yogurt and a piece of fruit, or half a cup of berries
    8oz Silk Coconut Milk with a scoup of protien powder
    8oz Almond Milk with a scoup of protien powder
    Apple and almond butter
    Banana and almond butter
    Grapes and string cheese
    Raw carrots, broccoli, sugar snap pea with hummus
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are. You're body only knows your schedule, not the world around you, therefore it's okay that you eat at uncommon hours. If you are eating your late night snack before you go to sleep, focus on proteins and fats and little to no carbs(because you won't need much energy for sleeping) If you will continue to work afterwards, then have your oatmeal with eggwhites, protein powder, etc. Before bed I like cottage cheese(has slow digesting casein protein) and peanut butter. Goodluck!

Cottage cheese is my favourite pre bed snack -- it's also yummy in a protein shake as well. Slow and fast digesting protein!
  • Jelena11
    Options
    I could eat pizza everyday, it's my weak spot! I get late night snack attacks and tonight almost ordered pizza. But somehow just did this the other day, maybe you can try it too see if it works for you?!

Oroweat 100% Whole Wheat - Sandwhich Thins - 100 calories per bun ( or find something similar)
    Marinara sauce
    mozerella shredded cheese, 2%, low fat

I open my bun up, spread the Marinara sauce, sprinkle with shredded cheese, microwave it to melt it all, it's done in less than 30 seconds. Not a lot of work, simple for me, gives me that pizza taste and less than 150 calories. Pretty sure it's easy to pack up and bring with you.

optional of course, toppings - can buy turkey pepperoni, mushroom, onion, what ever. That's just too much work for me when I want a quick fix :) Hope that helps!
  • Bbqbiker
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for replying, that is a good start and gave me several ideas.
  • caroleeb
    caroleeb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese with flatbread crackers- it satisfies my cravings for chips and dip!