My Kids: Fast Food Is Done!

Options
So my kids have been eating healthier for the past month & half. No fast foods at all. I told them that they could have it as a treat once a month. Well that day was today. My little girl had Taco Bell. She didn't eat it all..not even half. She doesn't eat large quantities of food. My son had Burger King. He ate it all. Was around here singing its praises. 30 minutes later my daughter is screaming. Her stomach is cramping really bad. I told her it was probably gas from the food. Gave her two tums and I let her be. She was still screaming and hollaring for about 30 mins and then she fell asleep. About 45 minutes after that it hit my son. He started throwing up. He couldn't hold that mess down. Within the next hour my daughter woke up out of her sleep throwing up. I was skyping with their dad at the time and he was getting worried. I told him that I had to allow them to see that fast food isn't good for them. Their bodies is rejecting it. If I would have just said no flat out they would have been around here having a fit because it was my decision and not theirs. This way its their choice based on what they have experienced. I'm sorry they are experiencing this but in the end it was for the greater good.

I'm also sorry that I'm the one stuck cleaning all this mess up *YUCK*

Replies

• TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how once we've eaten clean for awhile, ingesting the stuff we used to live on seems to have a toxic effect, huh? Happens in my family all the time. Fortunately, we've all now learned and to say we're hesitant to eat anything fatty or junky is an understatement. Probably a very good thing.

It still amazes me though, how we once had built up a tolerance to that crud and how quickly our bodies come to appreciate real, clean, nutritious food!

It's a good indication of how well you've been feeding your kids, that this happened. Sorry about the consequences but it sounds like you're all REALLY on the right track!
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    My son (17) was the same way. After eating healthy for a month & not drinking soda, he went to Jack In The Box. 30 minutes after he finished eating, he was running to the bathroom with the worst stomach pains & the runs.:sick: I felt bad for him, but couldn't help smiling because this taught him (the hard way) that his stomach is now used to the good stuff & not the crap he used to eat.
  • Caprirenee925
    Options
    SAME THING happened to me last year, was home free figured i was eating perfectly, while preparing for a bridal shower the mother of the bride bought everyone sausage mc.muffins, I ate half; went home before the shower due to the bad stuff coming from BOTH ends :[ needless to say, even your system knows fast food is terrible for you.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Nice! We weren't really fast food eaters...mostly just get stuff from the taco place or subway (we still do subway) but the other day my older daughter had Del Taco with a friend and came home with diarrhea.

She even said it was the yucky food and she shouldn't have eaten that, but had the yummy dinner I made at home!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    SAME THING happened to me last year, was home free figured i was eating perfectly, while preparing for a bridal shower the mother of the bride bought everyone sausage mc.muffins, I ate half; went home before the shower due to the bad stuff coming from BOTH ends :[ needless to say, even your system knows fast food is terrible for you.

Those are just nasty. My husband will get McD's sometimes and before he even eats it, the food smells like farts. GROSS!
  • NimotheFrog
    Options
    I love how our bodies really do know what is good for us, if we only listen to them :)

I have tested myself with In And Out 2 times and both times it was a disaster. My stomach rumbles and i feel like it will never digest. GROSS.. Taco bell is actually the only fast food I will eat, (at most once a month) and it usually sits okay with me..:)

Your kids are lucky to have you as a teacher ^_^
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I was feeling so bad that it happened, but then I was also smiling to myself because I was thinking that this fight is now over. I wanted to cut them off myself, but I thought a lesson needed to be learned and that eventually it would be. I really didn't expect their bodies to have adjusted this quickly though. Now that amazed me. I thought this was going to happen a few more months from now. I really wasn't prepared for it tonight. But I'm good. They are sound asleep now. Hopefully its all over.
  • Staceslim
    Staceslim Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I do believe this happened to me today. We had subs I guess my body is rejecting the processed meat or I don't know what. I certainly didn't think to include subs in with "fast food" but after I went to the bathroom I was fine for the rest of the day.
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'll have fast food every so often and when I do, it's only a small meal from Subway, Hungry Jacks or Red Rooster. I just can't stomach McDonald's any more. :sick: I do love my subway though and love the big helpings of salad! :heart: I'm sorry your kids were in pain and so violently ill (and you had to clean it up) but at least now they'll understand that fast food is really gross. I can't believe there are people in this world that eat it three meals a day. *cringe*
  • Janica10
    Options
    Often, fitness enthusiasts and health experts held a conference to the public, counting calories and looking at how many of those calories are consumed every day. The advanced technology we have today, counting calories is easier then in previous years. There are many projects that encourage people to use on a regular basis in order to prevent obesity, however, even with all these products that people are generally more overweight than ever.

fastfoodpackaging
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    We're done here too. In fact, I'd sort of made a leisurely goal back in January to have no fast food in all of 2011... healthy choice for me, but more importantly healthy for my almost 4yr old daughter who was always asking for fries when we went past those golden arches in town! Well, we haven't had a bite (except for one day when I was running short on time and grabbed a Wendy's chili and let me tell you... I was sick sick sick, so no more for sure!) and my daughter does not even ask for it anymore. That junk has no place with all of it's chemicals and additives and preservatives in our healthy lives! Awesome, isn't it?
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    I ended up taking them to the ER this morning. My son is still throwing up. My daughter is doing find. I have meds for their nausea but its not working for him. The doctor didn't want to believe it was from an unhealthy food choice even though no other symptoms have presented themselves to be viral. I just politely smiled at him and nodded my head. Every battle isn't worth fighting yanno? My kids had eaten a little earlier and they weren't sick a hour and a half before dinner so I know it was definitely the fast food. So the war I've already won.

I'm making some toast for him now and he is sipping on apple juice (no sugar added) to get his electrolytes up. I know he is very dehydrated. He is still vowing no fast foods I'm so sad yet so happy at the same time.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Desirai I think you definitely did the right thing to let them see for themselves how bad the fast food is! My daughter is only 3 but I never let her have sweets when she was little and now that she is making a few food choices for herself, like accepting a piece of cake or candy at a birthday party or the holiday parties at school, she tells me "it's nasty!" And her stomach always hurts after she eats it. I have tried to intervene when I am around and another parent is offering it to her but they act like I just don't want her to have it...when she spits it out after 2 seconds, I smile and say "she really does NOT like sweets." People just can't believe it because everyone is so addicted to sweets and fast food nowadays!
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate the positive feedback. I fed my son some wheat toast and it seems to have settled his stomach. The are both sleeping soundly now. Its been a rough nite/morning but its been well worth it.
  • fearlessly
    fearlessly Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This is a fantastic story... I wish something like this would have happened to me during my childhood, that way I'd have a fast food complex growing up! :laugh: :laugh:
  • aneajo
    aneajo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    This was me yesterday (myself, not kids) Went to Pizza Ranch and I spent more time in the bathroom then eating.
    Now that I think about it, my daughter was in the bathroom a whole lot too, maybe it got her also. hmmmmmmmm

Sorry for the mess, but it sure sounds like the have learned a great lesson.
  • rainonurparade3
    Options
    My gosh, you forget how bad that stuff is for your system when you've been eating it for so long! This was me a few nights ago-woke up at 2am about to be sick but managed to stop myself. Yuck.
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    My gosh, you forget how bad that stuff is for your system when you've been eating it for so long! This was me a few nights ago-woke up at 2am about to be sick but managed to stop myself. Yuck.

Yes we do. I love Wendy's, but I just can't no longer consume it. I know my body deserves more. I know I deserve to have my wants and desires. I want and desire to be a slimmer more healthier me and Wendy's will keep me from obtaining both of those.
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    While gross and of course I feel bad the kiddos had to get sick, it shows me that I still have a ways to go in cleaning up my diet. I'm on the right track, but I haven't gotten this far yet. That said, I had some pizza recently and it did NOT agree with me and sent me to the bathroom. I just figured it was my IBS. And then it hit me. I don't recall suffering from IBS before I gained the weight. And since I've been taking better care of myself, it's fewer, less often and not as severe. Hmmm...
  • omgitsgarry
    Options
    Reminds me of my beer battered cheat day last Sunday that almost ended with me throwing up outside of the restaurant. It was ugly. I never craved salad so bad afterward and I am never cheating again.