40lb by May! IS IT POSSIBLE?!?!

Options
So I honestly had a weight loss goal of losing atleast 40lb by the end of May. I am on a 1200 calorie intake including exercise. Honestly do you all think that goal is attainable? OR am I trippin?!?! LOL FEEDBACK PLEASE!!

Replies

• RayeTaylor10
    Options
    Your not tripping! You can do it. Stay on track!:smile:
  • chiliflea
    chiliflea Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    You'd have to work like a madwoman but I guess it could be done... It's roughly 15 weeks until the end of May so at a healthy loss of 2lb a week you'd get about 30lbs off, guess you'd only have to ace a couple of weeks with 3 or 4lbs and you've done it!

It's a hard goal but attainable I'd say....
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but 40 pounds by May is not a very likely goal. If you had over 100 pounds left to lose you might be able to do it, but since these are the last 40 to your goal, your body is going to burn it slower. 1.5-2 pounds a week is a much more realistic goal. You will get there eventually, just give it time.
  • Jilli2010
    Options
    I think you can do it. It is a little bit more than would be professionally recommended, but if you push yourself, stay well hydrated, and very disciplined, you could get there. I would set a range of 30 - 40 lbs so that you won't feel too disappointed if your body isn't ready to let go of the weight or you simply plateau. It is more about how you feel. Be proud of your accomplishments and take in the pride of knowing you are making successful progress. Congratulations on your progress so far. Jill
  • Reka2011
    Reka2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback! It was all much appreciated! Yes I just had this goal (40lb by May) set for myself because that is when I will graduate from Graduate School. It was sort of like my gift to myself as a new beginning! But yes I will definitely be appreciative and happy about whatever it is I lose from now until then as I know I am a "work in progress!" Thank you all and many blessings of success throughout your journey as well! :-)
  • cvg1973
    cvg1973 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am also doing a 1200 cal diet and exercise, but I often eat the calories that I burn in the gym because if not I finish under the calories...

I also want to loose maybe 40lbs by may..

We can do it Girl!!!!!!
  • arwamya
    arwamya Posts: 304
    Options
    You CAN do it yes but it won't be a healthy loss . My take would be that aim to lose around 2 lbs per week and at then end of MAY you'd be 30 lbs down and trust you'd love it even then
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to rain on anyone's expectations or hopes, but I say nope.

I saw my dr. about 2 weeks ago for a check up. Before I left, she said she wanted me down another 40 by the time I return...May 25th. Ok.
    I come home, get to looking at the calendar and I don't know what she was thinking, but there's no way. Maybe a few months ago when I was melting pounds off like no tomorrow. Now?? I think not! 20, perhaps...if I can keep it going and not plateau again.

Good luck & much success!!
  • 008Lizzy
    008Lizzy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have a major date and goal for the end of May, but as much as I would LOVE to lose 40lbs by then, I cant see it happening. But everyones different. I know how my body works when I diet. I will lose in the first four weeks, and then.. s-l-o-w-l-y for the rest. If you are succeeding, please let us know what you do to boost the loss. If I can get two stones off (28lbs) by end of May I will be OVER the moon! My next goal is January 2012, for a further 15lbs. Only you will know your body and what its capable of. Good luck, sooooo rooting for you!! :flowerforyou:
  • spunky_spit_fire
    spunky_spit_fire Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I would so like to lose 40 lbs by May also but I am not doing something right I only lose about a lb a week maybe I better start more exercing and make ever more healthier choices
  • jmhunter84
    jmhunter84 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    That's a good goal. I wanted to be down 30-40 by May. That may achievable you will have to be focused and motivated non-stop. Good luck!
  • Scidoc
    Scidoc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    :) It's a great goal to have!! I would LOVE to lose 30lbs by the end of April too!!

But I have to agree with some of the comments here...you have no idea how your body will respond when it comes down to losing the last 10-15lbs. It's also good to lose it slowly so you don't end up with excess skin and a body that hasn't really adapted to it's new form. I would say losing 1.5-2lbs a week is in the healthy range.
  • makaylaeakes
    Options
    I REALLLY want to lose 40 pounds. My tracker says that I have lost 10 but that's since I started MFP. I have actually lost 16 pounds. But I have to lose weight for medical reasons and personal. My goal is roughly 45 pounds by June. If you want you can add me and we can challenge each other. Because losing that amount of weight is going to be a HUGE challenge. We/you might not be able to reach that goal but we sure as heck can try. :smile:
  • lisa4kids
    lisa4kids Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My goal is 40 lbs off by my birthday, which is July 5th. That would be 2lbs per week. I would think if you're shooting for May 1st, 25lbs would be more realistic, honestly. You want to do it in the best way for your body and so that it won't creep back on afterwards. Good luck!!!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    It is great to have a goal! I know that for myself and my lifestyle looking to lose 1 - 1.5 pounds a week is realistic. Watching the biggest loser I think the women were on a 1200 calorie diet and exercised 5 hours a day to achieve their results, However, don't kid yourself about maintanence,either. Most of those people also became dedicated runners and needed to continue with hours of exercise a day to keep the weight off, too.

Maintaining weight loss is just as important as losing it. So whatever your plan to lose weight make sure that you can fit the maintenence into your schedule and lifestyle.

Good luck to you and know that how ever much you do lose you will have earned it and in any case you will be smaller than you are today!
  • RussianLynx
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck. I love that you see a healthier body as a graduation gift to yourself. I think that's awesome!
  • edr2b
    edr2b Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Oh girl...we are basically doing the same thing...I lost 12 lbs since January 3 and I want to be down 38 more lbs by May. Maybe there is some type of challenge we could do to encourage each other..I started using a trainer on Friday and will use him once a week..other than that I'm eating 1240 cals and wkout 5-6x a week...
  • talkingdog
    Options
    It's taken me three months of very concerted effort to get 20 pounds off. Even 20 pounds is a remarkable change, I think.

I'm planning to stick with my strategy of keto diet with up to 120 min of brisk walking and hill climbing per day, and if I can knock off another 20 pounds by May I will be totally stoked.

Expecting to hit another plateau soon, though, and then another and another after that.

Not getting discouraged by the plateaus, not obsessing about daily scale fluctuations up or down, and keeping the eye on the Big Picture, which is the trend line weight loss graph, that's key.
  • edr2b
    edr2b Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    OMG..that's exactly what happened to me the first 4 weeks were so fast and now it's moving so slow..so my trainer is mixing up my exercise..I'm adding in strength training..doing push/sit ups etc...