i love yogurt, but = too much sugar

Options
Apparently, I am consuming way too much sugar via fruit, yogurt, and cereal in my diet. Anyone have any tips on how to avoid the high sugar content when I really am trying to be good about what "sweets" I choose to put into my body? I love parfaits! Any alternatives? :(

Replies

• cutelashawn
    Options
    get plain greek yogurt, preferrable Chobani. Add fresh berries with 1 packet of splenda or honey (or both if u really like it sweet) it taste awesome.
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    When I need a cereal fix, I go for Kix and add cinnamon to it. It's one of the lower sugar cereals and tastes pretty good!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I go for the plain Greek yogurt with honey. The natural sugar doesn't bother me, it's the added stuff I don't want.
  • LetItBe4Sanity
    LetItBe4Sanity Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about sugar from fruits, or even yogurt (but it depends on the brand). Sugar from those "healthy" sources is good for you, and isn't like, say, candy. I'd recommend getting either vanilla or plain greek yogurt and adding your fruit, and maybe a dash of nonfat yogurt. I eat yogurt and fruit constantly, don't give up on it :)
  • aimlow
    aimlow Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've this problem too recently. I changed ovr to natural yoghurt and added stevia and berries to make it sweet. So yummy. Shame I am going dairy free for a fortnight.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I also wouldn't worry about the sugars. Getting sugars from natural sources is different from getting it from junk food. Fruit and Yogurt are both healthy parts of a diet.
  • mdward79
    mdward79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt. I eat Fage 0% Total fat free. It is great stuff. I add my own fresh blueberries or blackberries. If I really want a treat I add granola and honey. The protien in Greek yogurt is unreal compared to regular yogurt.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I love parfaits as well! and Yogurt is one of the only dairy options I have (due to various things), so I eat a ton of it. Here's some ways I keep the sugar intake in check:

For parfaits, think of making especially decadent ones for an evening snack. It will taste as though you're having dessert, but it will also fill you up until breakfast the next morning!

Breakfast is where you should try to keep sugar at bay. A sugary breakfast causes you to have an energy dip mid-morning and also crave more sugar throughout the day. At breakfast, stick to plain yogurt and plain grains (like oats and barley compared to box cereal and granola.) Add sweetness and flavor with a drizzle of honey, cinnamon, fresh berries or other fruit, nuts/nut butter, etc.

Plain yogurt (the greek kind) is very versatile and a great staple food. It can be sweetened in parfait-type desserts, add protein to a breakfast, be baked into baked goods to add moisture, be mixed into smoothies, be used as a base for a creamy sauce (such as for a vegetable side, pasta, frosting, etc.), be substituted into anything calling for sour cream or mayonnaise, and serve as a base for a wide range of dips recipes. Some of these recipes are not meant to be sweet, so they are obviously low-sugar.
  • Katieneedsyourhelp
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone!! Your input and suggestions are highly appreciated! :)