what counts as water intake

Options
:drinker: Hi,
I'm new to the site... love it so far. What can I count for my 8 glasses of water... just water or decaf coffee, decaf diet pop? I realize water is best but can't give up all vices at once :)

Replies

• loaia
    loaia Posts: 3
    Options
    You can count other things besides plain water as part of your water intake. If you look up the calorie content of coffee it is negligible because it is mostly water so you can certainly count that. I also count the water that I add to my breakfast shakes as part of my water content. I love tea - and green tea helps you lose weight so drink that and count it as water intake.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I was told by my doctor that you can count anything that is less than 40 calories for an 8 oz. glass. I, however, do not count diet soda's because there is sodium in those.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Water is water! POP COFFEE Juices DO NOT COUNT!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Interesting Water Facts

We all know that water is important, but I’ve never seen it described like this before!!!!

75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. ( Likely applies to half the world population). In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for Hunger. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one’s metabolism as much as 3%. One glass of water shuts down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of dieters studied in a U- Washington study. Lack of water, the 1# trigger of daytime fatigue. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

Are you drinking the amount of water you should everyday???
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Me personally I don't count anything except for actual water, well the crystal light water I drink. I put to much milk and sweetener in my coffee to count it guilt free :P
  • shr85
    shr85 Posts: 4
    Options
    :drinker:

I tend to be very literal, so I've been entering my green tea (no calories, no sodium, just really yummy green tea with white tea and goji berry and pomegranate) as food and not worrying that my water intake is low. I suppose I could enter it as tea, so I know I had it and how much of it in a day, but also count it as water so I have a better feel for water intake / hydration.

The info about green tea helping people lose weight is interesting. Hopefully this tea that tastes so good without any sweeteners and has white tea, too, counts.

How do others do this?

And I believe the quote about hydration and the study numbers, but it would be great to have a real source to point to in order to convince skeptics, anyone got that handy so I can be lazy and not have to google it? Although I do know some amazing research librarians who'd be happy to help me find this....
  • wardiemelissa
    wardiemelissa Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    thanks for the cool information on water!!! I love water and it plus exercise and watching my intake have helped me in my new healthy lifestyle!
  • wanda1956
    Options
    I only count water as water...but I drink other liquids also...but dont count them.