So near but yet so far...

pen282
pen282 Posts: 168 Member
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey

At my heaviest I was 180lbs (12st 12) but over the last 2 years, and with the help of MFP since August, I have got down to 149lbs (10st 9lbs)...

According to MFP, I am only 4lbs away from having a healthy BIMI - for my height, 145lbs - (I cant wait to be 'healthy'!) and 9lbs away from my current goal of 140lbs (10st)...

For the last few weeks, the scale has not budget at all! At the moment I am focusing on trying to lose those 4 lbs before my wedding in May. My body has changed shape and toned which I am very happy about - its the first time in years even I can see an actual change - however, is it just the case these last 4-9lbs could take a long time to shift??

Sorry quite random...
Any thoughts or people going throught the same thing?

Pen :-)

Replies

• sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    It's hard to say without being able to see into your food diary.

I've been the same weight +/- 2lbs since November. My MFP friends suggested to increase my protein amount to 20-25% and try to lower carbs.. as I tend to eat a lot of carbs!

What have you been doing for exercising? It may be time to switch it up a little. Either buy a new workout DVD or try something you haven't done in a while -- swimming, skating, jogging, etc.

Also make sure that you are getting enough water, at least eight glasses, and are getting a good night's sleep. You can also double check on your sodium intake to make sure that it's not too high. Too much sodium can interfere with weight loss as it will retain water.

Good luck!
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    I'm just envious that you lost so much weight and perservered (?spelling). If I were you and would just keep moving and back off the scales for two weeks. I'm just starting up this mountain of losing the weight, and you're on the downside. Wow, I can only envision the pride I would feel if I were you. I'm not a doctor so I can't tell if it's a plateau you're on. But I bet the view from that plateau is better than it was two years ago.:smile:
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Have you read the posts about how, the leaner you get, the easier it is for your body to slip into "starvation" mode - where it thinks you're not going to feed it so it starts clinging to weight? The closer you get to your goal weight, the likelier this is to happen. Maybe what you need to do is eat just a little more. The short version is: to lose a pound a week, you need a 500 calorie/day deficit, but if your body thinks it's too lean, you may need to go to a 250 cal/day deficit so it will stop thinking that.

I wouldn't have believed it, but when I added 250 calories back into my diet I started losing weight again even though I didn't need to exercise nearly as much as I had been. I was working out 60-90 min/day and not losing weight. I added 250 calories, and now I exercise 20 min-1 hour a day most days and have been losing weight just fine, where I was at a plateau before.

That may not be what has happened to you, but it could be worth a try.
  • pen282
    Your comment was lovely jadesign, it just feels weird to me that someone would be envious of me...
    You can achieve your goals, believe me you will! :-)

Shall i tell you what, before I joined here (which was only a few months ago!) the only thing I changed really, was such small things, like swap my afternoon choc snack to fruit and I starting to write down what I ate too. At that point, I didnt keep a close eye on calories asuch, but just the writing it down made me really think about what I ate. That is how I managed to lose around a stone, wothout realising. How I didnt realise I dont know, but I wish I had!

My exercise / diet has been a bit off since christmas, but I am slowly plugging away which is the main thing i guess! Add me as a friend if you like hun,

take care and all the best
    xx
  • Does adding calories really work. I too have hit a plateau with only 7 lbs to go. I read an article posted here on MFP about changing the type of excercise I do or zigzagging caloric intake (http://www.diet-blog.com/06/5_ways_to_break_a_weight_loss_plateau.php).

I have also read a number of posts about increasing calories to avoid "starvation mode", but I am just scared to do it. Right now I have an allotted 1240 calories / day. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am so happy that this thread was posted!
  • jenbusick
    Does adding calories really work. I too have hit a plateau with only 7 lbs to go. I have read an article about changing the type of excercise I do or zigzagging my caloric intake.(http://www.diet-blog.com/06/5_ways_to_break_a_weight_loss_plateau.php) I have read a few posts about

It has been working like a charm for me.
  • pen282
    Hey jenbusick

I havn't read any posts about that I must admit - so I shall hunt them down and give them a read. I didn't know the closer you got the easier your body could go into starvation mode. It certainly sounds worth giving a read about!
    I will certainly give that a try, though to be honest, I have been a bit more relaxed about my calories, though sadly, not necessarly (sp) eating healthy foods..

It sounds like increasing your calories has been working for you so I'lgoing to look into it / give it a try!
    Thanks
    x
  • jenbusick
    I hope you find the solution that works for you!
This discussion has been closed.