Help-recovering from binge eating but can't lose weight?

Options
Hello there
So I finally seem to have a handle on my food intake.During the last 4 months I've gained 30 pounds from eating around 4000-5000 cals/day due to binge eating. It's been 14 days that I have been NETTING a healthy 1650cals/day and exercising (4X a week/hour cardio sessions). I am very happy and feel empowered that I have stopped binging however...The scale has moved only 2 pounds within the past 12 days. I used to lose weight SO rapidly when I gained control over binging, however this time, the scale isn't moving. I am thinking that my metabolism has either slowed down and is making is very hard for me to lose weight OR my body thinks it is starving due to eating about 1/3 of what I used to for the last 4 months! Or that I have not given my body enough time to adjust to the change.

Has anyone else experience a slow weight loss after a huge lifestyle change? Will my metabolism ever pick back up or will I need to do crazy interval training to get out of this?

BTW if anyone is in the middle of the horrible disease, feel free to message me...and I can share the way I finally got it under control.

Replies

• ariellespiller
    Options
    I don't have any answers for you unfortunately, but really, congratulations on gaining control over your eating habits!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It will happen. Give it time as your body needs some time to re adjust.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    keep at it... your body is probably in shock as you said and i am sure your metabolism is out of whack. regardless what the scale says, you are doing great! keep it up! one day at a time... one ounce at a time... one meal at a time. you can do this...!!
  • MernaDea
    Options
    I have had periodic binges, so I can relate on that level. It does sound like your body is simply adjusting so just keep going! That would make so much sense to sort of 'reset' your metabolism from your habits prior. It didn't happen over night, so give it some time to 'reset'...

Good for you in taking back your control! Awesome girl!

Just keep moving forward and keep us posted!

Merna
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Just be really mindful of where your calories are coming from. I see all to often people are staying within the calorie range, and get frustrated that the weight is not comig off, and then I go in their diary, and I see what they have been eating----I think this makes a huge difference.

Good luck to you.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you did mess up your metabolism - however if I as a 46 yo woman with a few major metabolism disturbing times in my life can reset it so can you!

I started here on November 1 and started working out consistently and watching what I eat. I lost 8 pounds between Nov 1 and Jan 11. But from Jan 11 until Feb 8 I lost 7 pounds! Even though I cut back on portions/calories before end of last year, I still had prepared meals and a fair amount of sugar. Since Christmas I have been working at eating really clean.

Also you may want to look for a local naturopath/nutritionist who can help you with detoxifying to support your metabolism. It is possible you thyroid is not functioning properly. Milk Thistle which is available in heatlh food stores helps the liver detox. I think it takes a while for your body to get used to the crap being gone and then start burning fat. Hang in there though - you can do it! I have been to some seminars by a local doctor here and read a lot about this but I haven't tried any of it ye t- I wanted to see what I could accomplish on my own.

And actually 1- 2 pounds of fat loss a week is considered good.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Read this. The story isn't necessarily you but this guy explains what your body has to go through to fix the damage from binge eating. Please ingnore any kind of selling gimmicks.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/core_march_8.ht
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Bumping this up to see if anyone else has or has had this issue after a period of binge eating, as I did the same as the op basically, and having maintained 123-128Ibs for almost a year, I gained about 12Ibs or so over a 6 week period of binge eating (depression) and it seems to be taking ages to lose it, in spite of working out for at least an hour 6 days a week, interval training.