Weight gain on mfp

Options
Just wondering if anyone shares this problem? Yes.... eat too much. Yes.... portions too big. Yes.... not willing to give up my favorites but trying to cut back. I've tried WW in the past as well and had to same problem. Major issue for me is the constant thinking about food. What to get at grocery, what to have for bkft, lunch, dinner and snacks. Where is my next meal coming from. Sitting in front of computer logging, logging and more logging... then sitting even longer b/c love reading other ppls posts. Food is on my mind all the time vs. just rolling with it. For someone w/ my personality.... a bit of control freak..... is all this counter- productive? Just wondering....hmmm.

Replies

• PureAndHealthy
    Options
    As much as I would rather NOT have to log (because I also think about it constantly during the day), I gain when I don't and I lose when I do. Since I want to lose right now, I'm logging. Plain and simple.
  • Sammyk50
    Sammyk50 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Lol, I share it all! But it is working for me! This is the best i've done in years and this time i know I'll reach my goal! But yes i understand what u r saying! Once the weight is gone, i think it will feel more like a lifestyle and we should be paying less attention to the process. Good luck to U! :)
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Have you considered making a meal plan for the week or the month (I can only go week to week). THis way, you only think about food for that one day when creating the meal plan and can have a shopping list ready, so you don't have to go out all the time. THis way, as much as you are thinking about food, you already know what your meals are and what not. After awhile (at least for me) it does get easier once your mind finally understands what you should and shouldn't eat.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    When you start obsessing with food, find something active to do. That will take your mind off of the food. Otherwise you will never make your journey and you're the only one than do this. We are all here for support but ultimately it's up to you. Good luck with your journey but you have to make the "lifestyle" changes.
  • Staceslim
    Staceslim Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yes I understand what you are saying but I have never done any type of weight loss (never thought I had to) but now that I've been diabetic since 2006 I decided that all the talk about excercise is good advice because it keeps my blood sugars alot lower. I have also realized that the excercising makes me feel so much better. I don't really have any advice about how to help though, I agree with the planning your meals to see if that helps, hey anything to make the process easier right. Well good luck & don't give up it'll come with time but you may have to be patient if you are able to loosen up on the control thing a little. Stace
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    As much as I would rather NOT have to log (because I also think about it constantly during the day), I gain when I don't and I lose when I do. Since I want to lose right now, I'm logging. Plain and simple.

I am the same way. As soon as I stop logging, I gain weight. It keeps me honest, so I log every morsel. If you stay within your calorie limits, you will lose. It's really simple math. Burn more than you consume. I am the same way thinking about food a lot. However, I am trying to change the way I eat and the things I eat as well as just logging. It should be a lifestyle change to have lasting results.
  • Sherri71
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone shares this problem? Yes.... eat too much. Yes.... portions too big. Yes.... not willing to give up my favorites but trying to cut back. I've tried WW in the past as well and had to same problem. Major issue for me is the constant thinking about food. What to get at grocery, what to have for bkft, lunch, dinner and snacks. Where is my next meal coming from. Sitting in front of computer logging, logging and more logging... then sitting even longer b/c love reading other ppls posts. Food is on my mind all the time vs. just rolling with it. For someone w/ my personality.... a bit of control freak..... is all this counter- productive? Just wondering....hmmm.

Are you staying within your calorie limits and doing 60 min of cardio 5 days a week. If so, you should definitely be losing instead of gaining.
  • Keenan713
    Keenan713 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes pain in the butt, without it my gut gets bigger and I feel uncomfortable. It takes time to do this and that is a time for me that I am not eating. This site is really good for me in reading post like this one and then taking the time to reply. Out here in Portland Oregon area with all the rain outdoor stuff is hard to do but have great gym, and can look at computer post like this one for more motivation.

Thanks for posting!
  • noiinteam
    noiinteam Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not staying w/in my calorie goal... I'm usually 400 calories over..... exercise 3 times a week about 45 min. I am honest and log everything but I don't log any activity except workouts. I don't count my work, shoveling snow, or cleaning my house as exercise. It just pisses my off sometimes.... trying to lose weight feels like a part time job... lol.
  • mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I say this. You either want it or you dont. Sounds rude. But its the truth. I want to look and feel good and logging keeps me in control of my food instead of my food being in control of me
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I try to plan out all of my food and exercise in the morning. If it's not on MFP, I don't eat it.
  • bluemagic33
    bluemagic33 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I make my plan for the next day, and stick to it.. If I fail to plan , then I have planned to fail..
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Have you considered making a meal plan for the week or the month (I can only go week to week). THis way, you only think about food for that one day when creating the meal plan and can have a shopping list ready, so you don't have to go out all the time. THis way, as much as you are thinking about food, you already know what your meals are and what not. After awhile (at least for me) it does get easier once your mind finally understands what you should and shouldn't eat.

This is really helpful. You aren't as likely to overeat OR overspend at the store.
  • alvin_grung
    alvin_grung Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What you need is an alternative obsession! Try the weather! Great for Canadians. Another good one is the length - no, that won't work ... how about the latest tablet devices flashed about by your trendy pals?

Seriously, logging the food and staring at the reality of it is the best thing I have ever seen for keeping my hand out of the cookie jar. I just gained a few on a holiday where I simply enjoyed the drinks, treats and rich meals available - without gorging - and came home feeling fine. Got right back on the wagon and know I'll be back to a lower weight than before I left in a few days. That's a new confidence for me - before I'd just be depressed and maybe eat more, convincing myself for just long enough that it's hopeless and unfair so I might as well enjoy something to eat.

Obsess over how much better you feel and look when you stay with the plan! That's it!
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I was this way when I first started MFP. Always thinking about food made me hungry ALL the time. Planning the day (or week) ahead really helps--if you really make yourself stick to the plan. And, if you're having a hard time figuring out where you're going wrong or what you should/should not be eating and you want feedback, make your food diary public so your friends (or others if you want) can see and offer guidance. Friends are important for motivation and encouragement, but if they can be completely upfront with you, they're even better for pulling you away from the edge when you're about to fall off!
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a control freak, and find myself quickly becoming 'obsessed' with what/how much/when i'm eating if i'm not careful. Best thing i've found to do so far is spend a good 20/30 mins a night planning what i'm going to eat the next day with the food that I have in (or what to buy when grocery shopping if i need to) I log the calories for the next day and can spend a little bit of time readjusting amounts or types of food if i'm going over, I also plan if i'm going to be doing any exercise and if so what foods i'm going to eat beforehand and fit in those exercise calories. Once i'm happy with it I find i'm able to let go a little more. It also means that there's no surprises the next day, I know what i'm eating and when and feel confident in that i'm not going to go over my calories and also, i find it helps with my bingeing, If i'm feeling 'binge-y' I can and do tell myself just to wait because at a certain time i'll get to have my treat or my next meal and still will be within my limits. It's really helping me so far!
  • ruth1104
    ruth1104 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I know that it's generally suggested that you start with your calories very low, then ease off but personally i find its too difficult and offputting to try and make a sudden change in lifestyle, so i'm trying to do it gradually and it seems to be working for me, especially with cravings and keeping motivated! Maybe you could try setting your weight loss per week quite low to begin with, something managable so there's not such a big gap between the calories you want and the calories you're 'allowed'. Then you will begin to feel like you can do it! And then you can use your obsessive personality to focus on exercise and healthy, enjoyable eating? Just a suggestion..
  • Sherri71
    Options
    No, I'm not staying w/in my calorie goal... I'm usually 400 calories over..... exercise 3 times a week about 45 min. I am honest and log everything but I don't log any activity except workouts. I don't count my work, shoveling snow, or cleaning my house as exercise. It just pisses my off sometimes.... trying to lose weight feels like a part time job... lol.

I think you have found your problem. If you are 400 calories over consistently then you are going to gain weight as 3500 calories equal 1 pound. So when you reach a calorie deficit of 3500, you lose 1lb. When you consume 3500 calories over your maintenance calories over a period of time, you will gain 1 pound. I rarely count every day activities such as cleaning the house either. I don't think that would be effective. I would strive to get your calories lower, maybe eating more filling foods such as those that are high in protein and fiber. Also, eating something small every 3-4 hours to prevent yourself from getting hungry. Definitely step up the exercise to at least 5 hours per week cardio. I think if you are able to that, you will start to see the results you want!
  • Sherri71
    Options
    Also, keep in mind, the less you have to lose, the harder it is. And as you get even closer to your goal, it will become more difficult as you will have to revise your plan a bit to avoid a plateau. GOOD LUCK! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! :)