Footwear...which to choose?

Options
I'm looking at buying some really good footwear for working out. I have to admit I'm really looking into buying some Sketcher Shape Ups. Just wondering what your opinions are? Should I go with those or are just normal runners better?

Replies

• MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I have the sketchers .. and love them.. I got them because of my back and knee pain and I can tell you wow... no pain at all when I wear them...they do take a few days to get use to.. but after that an amazing shoe.
  • Braffert
    Options
    Check out the Re-Tone. They're the Reebok version of the Sketchers Shapers, and it's a lot more sleek looking.
  • Mrs_Deeds
    Options
    I've heard they are really good for someone with back pain and such which means they would be great for me!! I have chronic back pain. It sucks! Anything that would help even just a little would be awesome.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about going down to the runner store in the city called FrontRunner. My brother in law is marathon runner and he shops there. My husband got a pair last year for $100. The employees there are all runners, they actually take the time to see how you walk and what shoes will be right for you.
  • Mrs_Deeds
    Options
    Wow that's cool! I'll have to check out the sports store here and see what they have to say. I wish we had just a runners store but the city I live in is too small.
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I use New Balance, and have for years. I have high arches and NB has the best arch support I have found. Plus, being a Nebraska football fan, that big "N" looks really cool on the side of the shoe.
  • centralvalgal
    centralvalgal Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Everything I have read is that shapeups are not for running but great for walking. Go to a reputable sports store (I use Sports Authority) and they will give you advice on the best shoe for the workout that you are wanting. If I am not using the right shoe I end up with either shin splits or heel pain. Totally ruins my efforts.
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I have chronic back pain too and I was in a car accident last year that my knees got hurt really bad... Ive tried so many shoes and spent so much money and Ill tell ya the sketchers are the only ones Ill wear.. but everyone is different as well.. foot shape etc....Id say try diffferent shoes on and walk around the store a bit take your time ....
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are wanting to do. I haven't seen many fans of shape up like shoes for runners but I swear by my shape ups as walking/working shoes. I'm on my feet a lot and working at the hospital and i want to do everything to help protect my back. These shoes take awhile to get used to and I don't recommend them for uneven surfaces but for what I do they are a life saver.
  • spaceangel66
    Options
    I bought a pair of Fila Walk N Sculpt sneakers last November and I love them! Very comfortable! I find myself standing more straight when I'm on the treadmill. I can feel them really working my legs and butt...more so than my other sneakers.
  • Mrs_Deeds
    Options
    Thanks for your imput everyone! :happy:
  • AndyBee
    AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I hear the K Swiss Tubes are great! I just tried some on last night and loved them. Super light weight and breathable. They're going to be my reward for reaching my first mini goal. Jillian Michaels recommends them, and I've read some other posts by MFP members that love them too.