Runners... do your feet ever go numb?

Options
Back when I first started losing weight and was quite a bit heavier, whenever I went for a run, it wouldn't take long for my feet to go numb like they had fallen asleep (feels like my feet turned into two big fuzzy tingly balls instead of feet)

After losing some weight and getting some better running shoes (I went to a running specialty store and got some Saucony Guide 3s) the problem went away

Until recently I've only been running around 3 miles at a time, but lately I've started running 5 miles, but the last two times around mile 4, my feet went numb again... I made sure the laces weren't too tight but it still persists. I have to stop running and walk at a slow pace for the circulation to return, but even then I can't run again or the problem will come back right away.

Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions? The shoes aren't that old, could they need replacing already?

Replies

• runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Are they the right shoes for your running style/footstrike?

Are they a 1/2 size to a full size bigger than your "street" shoes?

Do you heelstrike or midfoot strike?

How many miles running and walking in them?

What is your body frame/height/weight?
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Maybe since you are running for a longer distance/time, your feet are swelling even more so maybe your laces need to be even more loosened?
  • ChuckgM3
    ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Are they the right shoes for your running style/footstrike?
    They filmed me on a treadmill and said I had a pronation that these should correct. (They're damn comfy too just walking around)
    Are they a 1/2 size to a full size bigger than your "street" shoes?
    No they're actually 1/2 size smaller than my dress and casual shoes (8.5 vs 9)
    Do you heelstrike or midfoot strike?
    Heel
    How many miles running and walking in them?
    I know I should have kept better track of this... If I had to guess I'd say between 150-200 miles
    What is your body frame/height/weight?

Medium/5'6"/160

Thanks for the help
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Google reynauds disease and see if that Fits!
  • acpro
    acpro Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi ! I'm a runner too. I run 2-3 times a weeks 5km indoor during winter and 5-10 km outside in the summer. I have to change my shoes every year because i'm doing tendinitis (sorry if its not the good word in English). I have Asic Gel shoe & i like them a lot ... a saw a great different & my leg stopped hurting. So i would say buy new shoes, if you don't see different after a few run with the new running shoes maybe go to the doctor for a checking because running is very hard for the legs and foot and more when you run in the streets.

So good luck !!
  • ChuckgM3
    Options
    Google reynauds disease and see if that Fits!

Hmm, I don't think so, I've never noticed any discoloration... my hands and feet get cold first like anyone else but I don't think that badly.
  • darrenw74
    darrenw74 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yes this exact thing happened to me last year, but like you I haven't noticed it since losing some weight. I've been running on a treadmill this winter, and am curious if it'll come back when I start running outside this summer.

I have very flat feet. I got an ultrasound done on my legs a couple months back to make sure I was getting circulation in my legs.

If you figure it out, I'll be very interested, as my similar condition remains a mystery.
  • dreamc08
    dreamc08 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question. I've been thinking about talking to my trainer about it, because mine get numb and tingly when I'm on the recumbent bike and sometimes when I use the older elliptical.

I recently got a new pair of shoes (Asics Gel) and thought that was it...but they fit well and I try to keep the foot straps loose on the bike....I'd be interested to know what you figure out!
  • runningneo122
    Options

Your running shoes for "training" distances (up to 4 miles) should be a 1/2 size bigger as your foot swells as you run. The force hitting your foot is 3 times your body weight. Distances over 4 miles should have a full size bigger than regular shoes.

Have you noticed any blood forming under your toenails? That is the telltale sign that your shoes are too small. Blisters on the tip of your toes are likely from the same thing or if your feet are wet from sweaty socks.
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options

Your running shoes for "training" distances (up to 4 miles) should be a 1/2 size bigger as your foot swells as you run. The force hitting your foot is 3 times your body weight. Distances over 4 miles should have a full size bigger than regular shoes.

Have you noticed any blood forming under your toenails? That is the telltale sign that your shoes are too small. Blisters on the tip of your toes are likely from the same thing or if your feet are wet from sweaty socks.

My running shoes are a half size larger than my casual shoes, and I generally run "training" distances. My feet still go numb, and this seems to be more pronounced when running on the treadmill as opposed to outdoors.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,342 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed it during a run, but they almost always get really cold about 30 minutes after I run and that lasts for an hour or two. I have to either put a pair of warm slippers on or cover them with a heavy fleece blanket. :-/
  • runningneo122
    Options
    My running shoes are a half size larger than my casual shoes, and I generally run "training" distances. My feet still go numb, and this seems to be more pronounced when running on the treadmill as opposed to outdoors.

Try loosening the laces at the front and put a "lacelock" in there. I lace up the first two holes on each side making 2 "x"es. B4 lacing any further, I tie the laces in a knot. What this does is allow me to pull the laces tight on the upper part of the shoe and NOT tighten the lower part.

Make sure you are getting your heel all the way back when you lace up. I knock my heel on the ground B4 tightening the laces.

Maybe your foot is wider than "D" and no matter how loose you lace them, it isn't enough.
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I will try this. Thank you!
  • ChuckgM3
    Options
    Thanks Neo,

I think the size of this particular shoe just runs smaller than my normal shoes... I tried some size 9s on last night at the store and I felt like I was swimming in them... I ended up buying another pair of 8.5s so I can see if the new sole makes a difference. I definitely don't have any blood under my toenails or blisters and the shoes don't ever feel too short, although the swelling might be an issue when it comes to width.

I think I will try the lace lock trick!
  • runningneo122
    Options
    When you run matters as well. In the morning your feet are the smallest(obviously) and if you are running in the afternoon, you should try your shoes on at night as you did last night. Trust me, your foot swimming in the shoes is what you want. Try the new ones out, but remember they require a break-in period. A mile or two at a time until you put abt 15 - 20 on them and then "let 'er rip".
  • ChuckgM3
    Options
    I normally run in the evenings. Now that I think about it. They haven't gone numb whenever I run in the am.
  • runningneo122
    Options
    I have found that for weightloss I need to do fasted cardio, but if I want to maintain I can run any time of the day other than first thing in the AM.
  • darrenw74
    darrenw74 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

I'll bet this is my issue. My running shoes are the same size as my casuals.
    I need new shoes this year anyway.
  • superdre
    superdre Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Whenever I do running, my shins get soar... i have to stretch those muscles quite a bit before and after.
  • runningneo122
    Options
    Could be the shoes. When I break in a new pair I get shin splints at abt 2 miles that tell me it's time to stop. I switch to a used pair to get the rest of my miles in for the day. After 5 -7 days they're broken in and the shin splints go away. The only other thing I can think of is overdoing it in your case. Shin splints are a common indicator of overuse. You may be experiencing something called, "adhesion". Try rolling a wooden dowel (1.5" dia.) up and down the sore area after a run and see if this lessens the soreness.

http://www.prowriststraps.com/muscletrac_muscle_roller