when did you finally "get it"

Options
mrmarius
mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
minds out gutter folks lol. By get it I mean understand the changes needed to make. Im here at work and my coworkers asked about my weight loss then they began talking about taking pills getting shots etc. first I was annoyed because everyone wants the easy solution and then I remembered I use to be the same way. I recall a couple years ago learning about calories but it wasnt until joining mfp in november that I could really stick with it.

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I always got it.Ive never tried pills or any of that crap lol I always new the only way to do this was work hard and watch what I eat
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I think I got it shortly after I joined MFP. I had wanted to lose weight for a while but wasn't sure how to do it the "right way." I tried counting calories, but that was stupid because I had no realistic idea how many cals I needed, so I was shooting for under 2000 which was still way higher than my maintenance number! But I found this site, started plugging in everything I was eating, had a few days of freaking out and saying I couldn't do it, but then one day it hit me: I was eating too much because I wasn't giving my body enough of what it NEEDED, so it kept driving me to eat trying to get more nutrition. I changed my focus from calories to protein (I wasn't eating enough), started tracking other nutrients like iron and potassium, and decided that my new goal was not necessarily to lose all the weight to my goal, but just to keep tracking my food and get to a healthy place with my eating and exercise. For the first time in a long time, I feel like I have control over what I put into my body, and how I feel in general. It's good.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I got it from the death of a loved one, my grandfather. I learned the frailty of life and what it means to be alive. He was an evangelist. Thats one of the reasons I am the way I am.
  • mommyfirst77
    Options
    I think I have always known, but I know I tried a couple of simple fixes ( green tea extract pills) ..... MFP Has truly opened my eyes and made me truly look at every bite I put in my mouth. I think it truly "clicks" now. :) And I am so happy it does 13 punds gone in about a month!
  • spunky_spit_fire
    spunky_spit_fire Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I got the message loud and clear when the Dr told me I had Diabetes and WOW THAT WAS A EYE OPENER !!! I would like the quick fix also but I don't want to waste my money on something that might not work, so I am like you I am doing the Healthy Way, Eating right and EXERCISE ! Since joining MFP about 20 days ago and giving up drinking a 2 litler of coke cola daily I have lost 8 pounds :tongue:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    When I was 39 and in danger of having to be put on blood pressure medication. Figured it would be better to get healthy instead. :smile:
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Understandin how to lose weight? June 2007 is when I began my weight loss. I too use to try and take the easy way out with tryin all the different diet pills. But what can I say I was bout 15 when I started diet pills and 18 when I finally realized how to lose weight. Eatin clean well, that just began back in November, before that I was all bout eatin carbs and very lil protein, now I am always lookin for ways to add more protein and buy organic foods.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I had gestational diabetes with my first child and was sent to a nutritionist. There I learned how to balance my calories. My dad was diagnosed with diabetes in his late 40s. I always knew what I needed to do but MFP made it much easier to keep track of what I was doing. I've always stuck with the philosophy that 1-2 pounds per week is sensible weightloss. It does take time. We have to set realistic weight loss goals for ourselves and realize that the closer you get, the longer it's going to take. It's all worth it in the end.
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Mid November 2010, decided to join the gym. I am not sure what happened, I think it finally just clicked that I need to exercise and eat better. I have lost 18 pounds since I joined the gym and can tell my way of thinking has changed, very rarely want to eat out and never want to miss a chance to go to the gym. I am absolutely loving the way I feel right now and am glad it finally clicked and know that it won't be over night but as long as I stick with it, I will reach my goals!!!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It hit me right before Thanksgiving. I've been losing weight as you can see from my ticker but I was doing it for the wrong reasons. It was all about the scale moving and not the healthier way of living. I realized after watching a lot of Dr. Oz shows that if I was going to succeed at maintaining this weight loss I would have to alter my way of thinking. The truth about why I gained weight and continued to gain had to be address as well so I wouldn't reach a point where I started to re-gain again. Also I needed to now start being more proactive in my weight loss journey as far as educating myself.

Its paying off.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    It hit me right before Thanksgiving. I've been losing weight as you can see from my ticker but I was doing it for the wrong reasons. It was all about the scale moving and not the healthier way of living. I realized after watching a lot of Dr. Oz shows that if I was going to succeed at maintaining this weight loss I would have to alter my way of thinking. The truth about why I gained weight and continued to gain had to be address as well so I wouldn't reach a point where I started to re-gain again. Also I needed to now start being more proactive in my weight loss journey as far as educating myself.

Its paying off.

97-pounds is AMAZING!!!! Way to go!!!!!!! :drinker:
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I knew what I wanted and how to get there...I was there once before. I just got too lazy and liked my pizza and ice cream too much. The thing that got me this time was my husbands struggle with blood pressue and cholesterol. He's been on several meds for both and it's frustrating trying to get those things under control. Also both of his parents are diabetic, so we both knew where this road was heading. It was time to do something...and we are doing it together. He is doing it for his health and I will support him all the way! And I am finally doing what I knew I should have been all along! Eating right and exercising is the only way!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I had to try it for a week to "get it." I really didn't want to accept the fact that counting calories would work.

In my first week I lost 5lbs, so I was hooked!
  • foyboy
    foyboy Posts: 49
    Options
    When I got past the weight I could never get beyond in all my other attempts . . . that was 20 lbs ago. MFP and P90X have helped me get to this point.

Also family health issues made me take a second look and come to some realizations about the future, and the future of my family.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I got it when I was told I had Diabetes and remembering how my father died from it. Death is inevitable, but I don't want to die like that...not if I can help it.
  • kitujainen
    kitujainen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    almost got to normal weight when lived with grandma and grandad. Lost 10 or 15 kilos just normal way having breakfast porridge, eating a small meal, salmon etc always a candy bowl with diabetic in house didnt feel like pig out. Went to gym early morning stayed until 11am before staff ate protein. Was on pc a lot! Good bed.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I was about 4-6 months away from turning 30 and having a tremendously hard time with it (which I now know was ridiculous). I had a lot of "life is passing me by" type thoughts and I decided to start living my life and making it what I wanted to be with no more excuses.

I don't want to look back at the last 10 years when I'm 40 and still be wishing I had changed things and regretting that life isn't what I want it to be. I've learned that life is always what you make it and you're definitely the one with the steering wheel in your hands.
  • misstmarie83
    Options
    Honestly, I don't know if I 'have it' yet! I'm working on it!
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    My little signs were wheezing at rest, getting winded walking up a single flight of stairs, not fitting in to my clothes, and very low energy. I 'got it' when I realized I was not going to put up with it any more. I decided I was going to take a stand and do my best to battle my new found habits. Getting back to myself by giving back to myself. <3
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    That's the thing, I've tried all the easy solutions. I have dabbled w/weight loss pills & concoctions, I've tried damn near every diet ever shown on TV including south beach & weight watchers, and I've fallen into buying stupid "the answer to your problem area" exercise equipment. I think having tried these things and still failed at weight loss is what I needed to realize that there really is only one true way to lose weight, which is by counting calories & exercising.