What is the best thing to eat after working out - protein OR

Options
So sometimes when I'm done exercising (depends on the time of day) - I'm hungry. I always start by drinking at least 16 oz of water after because I'm also thirsty.

But what is the best thing to eat after exercising - protein OR carbs??? I don't know which one is a better choice - Help! :)

Thanks!

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Both! Have a protein smoothie with some frozen berries!
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    carbs before (for energy) and protein after (for muscle recovery)
  • irishrose22
    irishrose22 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i always like a scoop of whey protein in 6 oz milk.
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    Both actually. This is actually the only time a lot of bodybuilders have carbs at all when they are on a cut :)
  • angiec3
    Options
    Calcium is supposed to be good after workouts to lose weight and help build muscle.
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    Calcium is supposed to be good after workouts to lose weight and help build muscle.

I have not heard that before... I may be wrong but I am pretty sure that calcium helps with heart and skeletal muscle nerve conduction, but not with building muscle... I thought protein played the role of building muscle?
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    duplicate posting
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Both! Have a protein smoothie with some frozen berries!

Great advice.

You want Protein (preferably Whey Protein) and a High GI Carb to spike you insulin (fruit or fruit juice). My girlfriend drinks a Strawberry Whey Protein Shake with frozen berries as suggested above.
  • lordofultima
    Options
    Carbs and protein, your body is eager for anything as it is in a vacuum state, and will absorb nutrients from both rather quickly. Bodybuilders use this time to eat simple carbs (to spike their blood sugar/insulin, since working out drops your blood sugar). The high-glycemic sugar-y carbs help to absorb the nutrients of whatever else they're eating quicker than normal. Whey protein is fast absorbing already, so after workout is the best time for a whey protein shake.
  • jamielee37
    jamielee37 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a nice serving of carnation instant breakfast post workout, plus maybe some peanut butter on a slice of toast or an apple. Always makes me satisfied =)
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    dextrose and whey protein
    unless you have your protein with milk