I don't care which you call it, no more pop/soda!

Options
This is why. This is what I keep reading to remind myself to not drink pop...I used to not drink more than maybe a can or two a month, but I've fallen off that wagon. Here's a huge reason why I didn't before and AM going to stop again!

http://blisstree.com/feel/what-happens-to-your-body-if-you-drink-a-coke-right-now/
Have you ever wondered why Coke comes with a smile? Because it gets you high. They removed the cocaine almost 100 years ago. Why? It was redundant.

In the first 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor, allowing you to keep it down.
20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (And there’s plenty of that at this particular moment.)
40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate; your blood pressure rises; as a response, your liver dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked, preventing drowsiness.
45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production, stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
> 60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium, and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
> 60 minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium, and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolytes, and water.
> 60 minutes: As the rave inside you dies down, you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like hydrating your system, or building strong bones and teeth.
This will all be followed by a caffeine crash in the next few hours. (As little as two if you’re a smoker.) Want to know what happens after that? Check out what happens to your body after you drink a coke, every day for a long time.

And this one is about Diet:

If you think people are hooked on Coke, it seems like Diet Coke has added a new meaning to the word addicted. It’s not hard to find someone who drinks several cans a day. Everyone seems to think that it’s totally fine for your body, since it doesn’t have any calories. In fact, the communications director of Coca-Cola North America is quoted as saying, “Great taste. No calories. Wholesome ingredients. How could you drink too much?”

We’re not sure exactly which wholesome ingredients he’s talking about. If you check out our post about the effects of Coke on your body, you’ll see that several of the negative health aspects of Coke don’t have anything to do with the high-fructose corn syrup it contains. So we broke down the ingredients of Diet Coke, and what they do to your system.

Carbonated water: This can irritate your digestive system, triggering Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Caramel color: According to the Journal of American Medical Association, there’s some evidence that caramel coloring could increase insulin resistance, which can lead to diabetes.

Aspartame: This chemical sweetener replaces the “bad” high-fructose corn syrup found in regular Coke, but could be bad for you in its own way. There have been studies for years linking aspartame to cancer, and while the FDA has claimed that there’s been thorough testing on the chemical, not everyone is convinced. In 1995, the Department of Health and Human Services submitted a list of aspartame side effects to the FDA, which included headaches, seizures, neurological problems, and abdominal pain, and nausea. Also, when aspartame is ingested, it breaks down into a variety of chemicals, including formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen, and can also cause abdominal pain, vomiting, nausea, and damage to internal organs and the central nervous system.

Phosphoric acid: This ingredient gives Diet Coke a tangy taste. Oh, and it can also be used to remove rust on surfaces. Phosphoric acid has been linked to low bone density in several studies, as well as kidney stones. The phosphoric acid binds with zinc, calcium, and magnesium in your lower intestine, which would be good for your bones, but the caffeine in Diet Coke makes you pee it all out before that happens.

Potassium Benzoate: This preservative keeps your Diet Coke fresh. Coincidentally, it also gives fireworks that annoying whistle.

Citric acid: You know that slightly citrus-y taste you love so much in your Diet Coke? That’s thanks to citric acid. It can ruin your tooth enamel and lead to decay.

Caffeine: Your body absorbs caffeine within 40 minutes, causing your pupils to dilate and your blood pressure to rise. It can also lead to ulcers, since it increases the production of stomach acid.

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    im still drinking my coke zero lol belive me I have put WAY worse things in my body.
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    i'll stick with my coke zero/diet pepsi/diet irn bru too, ive never had any ill effects from them and there are waaaaayy worse things i can consume...McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, Pizza etc etc

best wishes
    Kirstie
  • princess_f
    Options
    pepsi max girl here too, You cant be perfect all the time :D
  • NBgnnngs
    Options
    Ive stop drinking soda years ago beacuse it broke me out.. Nowaday I dont like the taste rather stick with my morning coffee and then occasionak ice tea (bcus i have to drink it sweet) lol and water throughout the Day..
  • jamielee37
    jamielee37 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'd rather make my own sweet tea too. I never really drink coffee...the caffeine is too strong for me. (love the smell of coffee though!) I'd rather have some other bad stuff food wise than a drink that's empty calories personally, but to each his own.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. soda is totally addictive and it hits some people harder than others. I quit and will never drink it again, been over a year ago and Ive lost a lot of weight, giving up soda definitely helped that. Some people can have a diet coke once in a while and its fine, I'm not one of those people. I consider soda poison, I wont ingest poison even in moderation lol
  • simplyblessed89
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!!

Both my parents have been Diet Coke junkies for the past 20 years and once I started working in the restaurant business where you get unlimited soda pop, I went into what I could call a "Diet Coke Coma." I drank about 7 cans a day, no joke. Even though it's 0 Calories per serving, I packed on 20lbs in three months. I was also extremely tired and cranky. My body felt miserable.
    Since I was 13, I started a fitness/nutrition lifestyle change and didn't touch soda pop AT ALL for five years. It was only then after going on my Diet Coke binges that I realized that all that stuff in the Diet Coke version - not to mention the extra calories and sugar in the original - isn't recognized by our bodies. It's foreign and throws our endocrine system out of whack. One day, I went cold turkey and haven't looked back. I drink lots of water now (sometimes with lemon for good flavor) and green tea (my new favorite drink of choice besides good old fashioned water). It's been four years since then, and I don't miss it at all.

It's the same as fast food - the addictive properties of these foods that the food industry offers makes us keep coming back for more and messes up our bodies' hormones in the process. JUST SAY NO TO SODA POP! It isn't worth it.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    AND the main ingredient is dihydrogen monoxide, which is a chemical responsible for all kinds of problems:

the substance is the major component of acid rain.
    contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
    may cause severe burns.
    is fatal if inhaled.
    contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
    accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
    may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
    has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
    as an industrial solvent and coolant.
    in nuclear power plants.
    in the production of Styrofoam.
    as a fire retardant.
    in many forms of cruel animal research.
    in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
    as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

Yes we should all run immediately away from thhis deadly stuff.....
  • Boredboytn
    Options
    Honestly, I tried to cut out soda one time.. Or I should say Caffeine. I made it around 4 hours. I had the WORST headache of my life and nothing could make it go away.

If I could cut out soda, I would, but I simply can't handle that headache. No way. I do drink diet though :)

Interesting info. I will have to pass this along to a girl I know who used to drink an INSANE amount of Dr. Pepper every day.
  • kaylamae90
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! It's an awesome thread. I knew some of it but the fact that drinking pop is just empty calories makes me not want to any more... I don't even have it in my fridge. I will drink coffee because I need the boost when I wake up but this is going to be a lifestyle change, which means I am pledging now no more pop! (and healthier eating and more exercise too!)
  • Charrisse
    Options
    I bought a water carbonater - I just drink carbonated water with lemon. Love it.
  • klchase33
    Options
    I Drink diet pepsi and it has improved my weight a lot. I try only one can a day and a lot of crystal light though.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    Honestly, I tried to cut out soda one time.. Or I should say Caffeine. I made it around 4 hours. I had the WORST headache of my life and nothing could make it go away.

If I could cut out soda, I would, but I simply can't handle that headache. No way. I do drink diet though :)

Interesting info. I will have to pass this along to a girl I know who used to drink an INSANE amount of Dr. Pepper every day.

Caffeine has horrible withdrawal effects so it's hard to get off of it cold turkey. Have you considered weaning yourself and switching sources throughout the process to something like tea which would be a bit better..or coffee..to give you some caffeine?
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I've tried to drink 8 glasses of WATER, so that's cut way down on my ability to consume pop, and there may come a point in the future when I cut pop out completely, but for now I'm trying not to overwhelm myself with too many changes right on top of one another. So, I'll keep drinking my diet cherry Dr Pepper! I mean, it has cherry in it, and that's a berry, right?! :drinker:
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    For those who can't do soda in serious moderation, they should give it up. I might drink a little soda 1-2 days a week and I don't have any weird cravings for it and it doesn't affect me noticeably with the exception of:

1) I tend not to want to drink water after
    2) I'm more awake (caffeine)

It definitely mixes things up if you are tired of water, but my suggestion is to make sure you get most of your water in before starting to drink the pop.

With that being said, I know some people who go through at least 2 liters a day. THAT is bad.
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    I have read all the horrible things about diet soda, and I still choose to drink it. You know, people try to tell me that it is horrible for me all the time, and they smoke, drink, and do horrible things to their body as well. I think that no one has room to say anything unless they are not doing anything that is harmful for their body. This isn't directed to the poster, because I don't know anything about them. Just in general.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    So, I'll keep drinking my diet cherry Dr Pepper! I mean, it has cherry in it, and that's a berry, right?! :drinker:

This comment can't be serious???
  • Karleyyy
    Options
    So, I'll keep drinking my diet cherry Dr Pepper! I mean, it has cherry in it, and that's a berry, right?! :drinker:

Of course not. Don't be ignorant.
  • Karleyyy
    Options

Of course not. Don't be ignorant.
  • twinsfan1976
    Options
    I did the quitting caffeine thing cold turkey. October 16th, 2010 is the last time I had any. It kinda sucked at first, but I honest can say I don't miss it.