BOTTLED WATER

Options
Do you know where that bottled water you buy by the 24 pack, gallon, or jug comes from?? How about how the plastic bottles are made? Have you ever considered the consequences of producing and selling bottled water?

I just watched this AMAZING documentary that made me aware of SO MANY issues I knew NOTHING about.

Here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72MCumz5lq4

The movie is called Tapped. I highly recommend it!

Please share your comments with me!

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I haven't read up on consequences of purchases produced water. But I have seen brown water come out of my tap... so I'll stick with the bottled kind! :sick:

Is there a brand that offers the least destructive production process?
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I haven't read up on consequences of purchases produced water. But I have seen brown water come out of my tap... so I'll stick with the bottled kind! :sick:

I live in los angeles. drinkin the tap water there will get you killed.

I have a friend who has to change her filters on her purifier waaaayy too often. and then the question is asked... what about the manufacturing and disposal of filters?
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yearly our city sends out the samples of the water... I think I will stick to bottled don't feel like drinking arsenic.
  • JBDuc
    JBDuc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    why buy individual bottles? why not stick with the larger 5 gallon delivery such as Ozarka or the like? They reuse the bottles, the sources are clean, and you can use something like a Nalgene instead of cluttering landfills.

I too don't drink tap water. Too many bad things in there that filtration simply won't get out unless we're talking about one heck of an expensive filtration system!
  • girlofsun26
    girlofsun26 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

I live in los angeles. drinkin the tap water there will get you killed.

I have a friend who has to change her filters on her purifier waaaayy too often. and then the question is asked... what about the manufacturing and disposal of filters?

I'm in LA too ain't no way I'm drinking it...I use to cook with it too and I'm sorry when theres yellow foam on your pot from just boiling water there is nothing YUMMM about that...Now I just use a service..
  • melissatacker
    melissatacker Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I do know where my bottled water comes from it is actual spring water and not filtered tap water like most bottled water tends to be...and as far as producing the plastic bottles goes-that's what we have recycling for :)
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    why buy individual bottles? why not stick with the larger 5 gallon delivery such as Ozarka or the like? They reuse the bottles, the sources are clean, and you can use something like a Nalgene instead of cluttering landfills.

I too don't drink tap water. Too many bad things in there that filtration simply won't get out unless we're talking about one heck of an expensive filtration system!

We used to use the filtered pitchers, but it got too expensive so we switched to the 5 gallon water bottles instead. I think it's much better than buying individual water bottles for the points that you mentioned. :)
  • 1southernchick
    1southernchick Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Bottled water is so convenient. I get really funny about drinking water out of the tap in public places. However at home I will drink from our tap. I drink 100 oz of water a day. It's a chore, so I try to make it as easy as possible.
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Bottled water is so convenient. I get really funny about drinking water out of the tap in public places. However at home I will drink from our tap. I drink 100 oz of water a day. It's a chore, so I try to make it as easy as possible.

yes, bottled water is convenient, but it takes 10 seconds longer to refill a reusable bottle from your home tap water before you go out.
  • samrockrocks
    Options
    it's true that recycling is the best option for water bottles, but you haven't considered how the bottles are made.. the chemicals used to make the plastics and the people that those factories affect.

i totally understand that some cities tap water you would deem unsafe, why not challenge the system? COMPLAIN about the quality of your municipal water.

also, as i originally said, the FDA doesn't regulate most bottled water, so how do you even know what you're really drinking and how much better or worse it really is than you tap?
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    Right now I'm using bottled water more often than I'd like (which- if you're even remotely environmentally oriented is quite a sin) because of the way my day runs nursing my baby etc. That is just the way it is working out for me- I very well understand that there are good options for refillable water containers (that aren't plastic, anti bacterial blah blah) but I will revisit that when I'm not under constant seige of needing to live with the utmost convenience.

Technically- if you're going to talk about how it's not a big deal to use bottled water because you can always recycle the water bottles you should be considering everything required to make that bottle of water and transporting it..and how much it weighs etc. Essentially for most people that live in areas where the tap water is decent you can always add on filters to have an improved quality. Also you can generally contact your local water utility and get a statement of any foreign material/chemicals in the water.

I'm not saying any of this to bash on anyone- I am using bottled water right now for a few different reasons.
    I also recycle my bottles (I recycle around 60% or more of my trash anyway) but we also have to consider that amount of waste that goes into adding it to the recycling stream ..transportation and just hope that they are *actually* recycling it instead of just dumping it in a landfill- which I've heard does happen sometimes.
  • smareeh
    smareeh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    We drink bottled as well as well/tap water. I personally think its another one of those things....Really if we stopped drinking and eating everything that was at one point or another declared harmful we would not have anything to eat or drink and we would be huddled in a corner rocking back and forth lol.
  • jamezyjamez
    Options
    What's funny is that some brands of bottled water are basically tap water in a bottle anyway.
  • samrockrocks
    Options
    What's funny is that some brands of bottled water are basically tap water in a bottle anyway.

it isn't "some" brands.. it's MOST brands. coke, pepsi, and nestle are ALL tap water! and those are just the top 3!
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options

it isn't "some" brands.. it's MOST brands. coke, pepsi, and nestle are ALL tap water! and those are just the top 3!

I find it crazy that most people would assume that the large corporate drink companies are selling bottled water that *is* spring water. Serious duh factor.
    I can't remember but I thought that you have to label your source on the bottle.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I drink Poland Spring. Pretty sure that's not tap water.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I drink Poland Spring. Pretty sure that's not tap water.

It isn't...I just looked at their site. So I prefer Ozarka- and I don't care- I *can* taste the differences btwn waters. Nestle Waters makes both Poland Spring and Ozarka. From everything I've seen..it looks to be legitimately from natural water sources.
  • krisk60
    Options
    Ozarka spring Water is spring water, but they also sell "Drinking Water" which is municipal water.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options

yes, bottled water is convenient, but it takes 10 seconds longer to refill a reusable bottle from your home tap water before you go out.

And only an extra minute or two if you wash the bacteria out of the bottle with some soap and warm water before you refill it. If you don't, you may be inviting a whole host of other problems.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    Ozarka spring Water is spring water, but they also sell "Drinking Water" which is municipal water.

Right- I've seen that. I usually am the type to read labels on everything and avoid anything labeled as drinking or sterile or anything.