How to avoid the junk food in my house?

Options
I have a large family so there are always exsessive amounts of junk food since my brothers are all teenagers which means fat, carbs, sugar, and salt is everywhere! I really need help on trying to avoid it, but sometimes its impossible at 8 when im watching tv and everyone is munching on doritos! please help ?:)

Replies

• tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    get 100 cal snack packs or the popcorn that is only 100 cal.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I feel your pain. It is so much easier when you can keep it out of the house. What works for me is weighing the snack and logging it before eating. It really makes you think about what you are eating.
  • cjfoster
    Options
    I always have raw veggies, fruits and nuts on hand. If i want the chips and salsa--I keep trader joe's flax chips and salsa on hand. I find that as I cut out sugar the cravings for junk food go away.
  • Michaelbrodsky
    Options
    I make myself a thinlybsliced apple with peanut butter on it
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    1. Don't make excuses. Just because other people aren't making healthy choices, doesn't mean you have to.

2. Start educating them about healthy eating and discourage bad habits. Don't be a Nazi about it though. They'll tune you out.

3. If the snacks are still going to be around, get a bowl and measure out a small portion, factor it in, log it and stick to it. That way, you'll get a little taste of "naughty" food, but you won't over do it.
  • Proudmumofboys
    Options
    I am having this same problem. I have 3 young boys, 10, 5 and 2 1/2, they are always wanting to snack on chips and etc.. If I buy yogurt, applesauce and stuff like that, they will eat all of it fast.. My hubby has a sweet tooth as well, so there is always icecream, cookies around. I'm not into that stuff, but love CHIPS, salty stuff is what gets me.

what about fresh veggies, apples, rice cakes, stuff like that.
  • jables12
    jables12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keep thinking to yourself "im better than that" cut up an apple with peanut putter or carrots and hummus...eat proudly!!!
  • balletslippers
    Options
    It really helps to add it to your diary first (you can always take it off if you change your mind!). Then you can see how many times you're eating throughout the day. Seeing the food add up like that... it makes me think twice.

It also helps to give yourself a separate shelf or cupboard. If you can find space, pull out some "acceptable" foods and put a little in ziplock bags. Separate these into your own little food space in the cupboard. Limit yourself to only eating the stuff in your space, as if eating the other food would be stealing. This can give you a little more pause before you attack those cookies or chips your brothers are devouring.

Good luck!
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    get 100 cal snack packs or the popcorn that is only 100 cal.

I have two boys and we've switched over to 100 calorie packs --- keeps me on track. If it's Doritos or something in a bag, I grab a plastic cup and if it says 15 chips for 140 calories, I put 15 chips in the cup and that's what I get.
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    100 calorie snack packs are just the same foods but measured into smaller portions, no? I find that just measuring it myself is cheaper and easier and is better in the long run for my self control.
  • Chelij
    Chelij Posts: 49
    Options
    My bf INSISTS on having chips and cookies in the apartment at all times. What I do is 1) I buy him flavors that I don't necessarily like, and 2) keep them in a cupboard, on the TOP SHELF where I won't necessarily go or see all the time. Helps HUGE!

Also, don't deny yourself a treat every once and a while. For example, I have dessert with both lunch AND dinner! it's not like a huge slice of pie or cake or anything, but I'll find healthy alternatives. Like I bought low fat chocolate bran muffins today, or I'll take a sugar free jello cup and dump it in a bowl, put some sliced strawberries in it and top it with some light cool whip (and sometimes drizzle sugar free caramel syrup on it)...YUM! Seriously fixes my cravings big time!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    My newest snack is a wedge of laughing cow light cheese in a celery stalk. 45 calories total. Sometimes I do two stalks with 2 wedges of cheese. It makes for a whole lot of chewing for only 90 calories. And the creamy cheese tastes like I am cheating, but I am not! :drinker: