Homemade Manicotti-257 cals a serving! Made with Crepes :)

Options
So I made this awesome low calorie Manicotti. I was watching Kitchen Boss on tv and his Aunt Anna showed how to make her old italian recipe. I used that recipe which is at http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/auntie-annas-manicotti-recipe.htm .

I substituted a lot of things making it a lot healthier and it was SOOO good. Below are my substitutes. BTW, making it with crepes is SO much better than buying pasta shells.

Recipe: http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/auntie-annas-manicotti-recipe.htm

My substitutes:

1. Instead of Eggs, I used Egg Beaters.
2. I used Part skim ricotta instead of whole milk
3. I didnt add any butter to the crepe mix...I sprayed the pan with PAM
4. Also, I didnt add any oil or use the potato shaving. I think it was just her idea to reduce acidity...to me it tasted just fine :)
5. Used hot italian Turkey sausage instead or regular- 3 links

The crepes aren't that hard to make....just take a small pan and pour some batter in there then swirl around to form a bigger circle.

Hope you try it b/c it was GOOOOOOD !!!

Replies

• Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Bump yummy bump
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Bump yummy bump
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Do you have a recipe you follow for the crepes? It sounds like an interesting substitution!
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Jeanine_Colavecchi Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It's in that link but this is what I used:

Crepes:
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup milk (I used Skim)
    2 large eggs (I used 1/2 cup Egg Beaters)
    1 cup flour

Directions:

Blend the water, milk, and eggs. Add the flour , blend until smooth and free of lumps. Allow the batter to rest for an hour.

Heat an 8" non-stick skillet to medium heat. Have waiting melted butter and a pastry brush. Brush a light coat of butter over the surface and when hot, with a ladle, pour in 2-3 tablespoons of batter. Quickly and carefully tilt the pan in a rotating motion until the batter forms a thin, round layer in the pan. Let cook, 30 seconds or more until the bottom is set and starting to color. Lift a set edge with a fork or small offset spatula and flip the crepe over, cooking a bit longer until the bottom side is set (will be a bit shiny in places). Remove to a plate. Lightly grease the pan, and repeat the process, continuing until all of the batter has been used, you should have around 10-12 crepes
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    One manicotti is 257? Or is there more in 1 serving? Thank you
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Jeanine_Colavecchi Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    One manicotti is 257. I filled them with a lot too and the crepes are not small. 2 will fill you up for sure.
  • TBirdGirl
    TBirdGirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    This sounds DE-LISH.... thansk for sharing. I'm new to fitnesspal but I'm loving the site so far. I'm still trying to figure out what the "bump" is about... can someone fill in the newbie?
  • sjarvisk
    Options
    Have you tried it with wheat flour or a mix of flours? Would it turn out the same?
  • ngr1973
    ngr1973 Posts: 334
    Options
    YUM... can't wait to make this! Sounds like the perfect Friday night dinner.
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    This sounds DE-LISH.... thansk for sharing. I'm new to fitnesspal but I'm loving the site so far. I'm still trying to figure out what the "bump" is about... can someone fill in the newbie?

When you "bump" something, it shows up in "my topics" so you can find it again easily.
  • MelaniePalmero
    Options
    This post makes me hungry and Jaweenis! My favorite crepe recipe is simple though. It's not costly and is very easy to cook.

http://www.jesrestaurantequipment.com/chefphilonline/crepe-making-quick-tips/
  • Charlie175
    Charlie175 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Felesina1
    Felesina1 Posts: 142
    Options
    bump
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I would probably make smaller crepes because I generally use a smaller pan when making crepes anyway, but this looks like a great recipe! I think I'm going to try it!
  • megreif
    megreif Posts: 9
    Options
    bump!