Snack ideas?

Options
I've had some decent success in mixing protein and carbs for snacks. My go-tos up until this point have been apple with peanut butter or a couple almonds, apple with cheese, peaches and cottage cheese, Triscuits with hummus and chocolate pudding with peanut butter. I'm starting to get sick of all of these, though. Any ideas for fairly low-cal (under 250) snacks that incorporate a bit of protein and preferably aren't too expensive or difficult to make?

Replies

• Bobcgirl8
    Bobcgirl8 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's a lot of calories for a snack, but I love a Cliff Bar because it really fills me up and gives me a bit of an energy boost. I usually have one for breakfast with a banana. Yay Cliff Bars!!
  • sjarvisk
    Options
    Pure Protein brand bars are good- lots of protein, mostly under 200 calories and under 6g fat and mostly lower in sugar. You do have to be careful with different brands of protein bars- read the labels!!!! You can find the Pure Protein bars at WalMart and bulk at Costco.
  • brownie1629
    brownie1629 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    smoked tuna on rice cakes are pretty good and filling scrambled egg whites on toast not as yucki as it sounds lol add a little bit of curry powder if its too bland :)
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    sliced veggies with some light dip or hummus

light string cheese

yogurt (even with some granola or fruit in it)

make a big fruit salad and then portion it out over a few days

low fat chocolate pudding with a graham cracker

low fat bean dip and some healthy baked chips

oranges with walnuts

tuna with chopped celery wrapped in lettuce

:)
  • ccso608
    Options
    I've been using salsa as a staple on alot of my snacks. adds a lot of flavor, not too many calories. I usually pair it up with triscuits, cheese and maybe a piece of turkey. Very flavorful.
  • Manda1987
    Options
    Some tasty ideas :)

I can't afford protein bars (our grocery budget is about $50 a week for two of us) but I hadn't really thought of incorporating meat into things. Looking forward to tomorrow's meal plan!
  • mbuzalski
    mbuzalski Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Homemade fried rice. I don't really fry anything. I use brown rice and I throw in a scrambled egg. Sometimes I add a little soy sauce. Easy and cheap.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    OK--this is gonna sound weird.....but it is really tasty. 1 ounce of baked Doritis is 90 calories. If you use the Doritos to scoop up fat free cottage cheese, it is YUMMY. My 14 year old daughter started me eating this.......it is really pretty good.
  • heathally
    heathally Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Make your own trail mix using nuts and dried fruit. Measure it out into those snack size baggies so you can just grab and go and you're not tempted to eat more than you should.
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I do this for dinner with some grilled chicken and broccoli. feels like i am having chinesse food!! yummy
  • rngreen
    rngreen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Celery stuffed with a wedge of Laughing Cow Cheese.
    Mozzarella cheese with fresh sliced tomato sprinkled with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and cracked black pepper
    Cottage cheese with red bell pepper
    Sliced pears with mozzarella cheese
    Sliced turkey rolled in lettuce leaves with light mayo and red bell pepper
    Roast beef with fat free cream cheese and spinach rolled in a wheat tortilla
    Bananas with peanut butter