Should I weigh in the first week?

Options
This is my first week on MFP and I'm debating if I should weigh in tomorrow. I'm worried about being discouraged if I don't lose any (or very much) weight. I feel like I"m just starting to get the ball rolling again and I don't want to be let down and feel like it wasn't worth it. Any advice or thoughts?

Replies

• Orla17
    Options
    I'm the exact same as you...I have decided I'm going to weigh in tomorrow! It will give us some motivation for the following week and can see if things are working out!
    Good luck! Let me know if you decide to do it!
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    i would weigh in - If you don't lose much if any then just think of it as a kick up the bum for the next week. I would also take your measurements so many people have gotten discouraged by the scales showing no change but their body measurements have changed dramatically x
  • Sandiweber03
    Options
    I just ended my first week on Friday and now on my seconed week. I too was scared about what the scale would say, but I worked really hard. I weighed myself in the morning on Friday and I lost 4.5 lbs! I was so excited! If you do weigh in and didn't loose don't get discouraged! You will loose eventually! I'm sure you've done great! Good luck!
  • pokloness
    Options
    I weighed in at the doctors office and it made me start mfp. So it just depends on how you feel and what motivates you. If you think looking will discourage you don't look until maybe two-three weeks. (when you are forming better eating habits)
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I find i put it on after the 1st week but it's only cos a lot more exercise which is toning up the muscles, so don't be discouraged.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    The 1st time is always unsettling. I would, though. Weigh-ins let you know if your diligence to your goal has been paying off, as far as numbers go. Losing inches and getting fit are another aspect for optimal health.

If it's any consolation, the first weigh-ins for any weight loss regimen are usually the biggest drop in numbers simply because it's mostly water weight coming off first, especially if you've incorporated a scheduled workout program for yourself. Burning off calories + calorie tracking = benefit for weight loss. Once you step on the scale after a while, it becomes easier and more welcoming for future weigh-ins.
  • alvin_grung
    alvin_grung Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I found that I lost weight like crazy the first week and was weighing in several times a day - and that was a great motivator. If you have been doing a 1 - 2 lb/wk rate, you have probably lost, too, just through the system flush. Do you feel better, thinner? If so, go ahead and weigh yourself. Be sure to do it at week's end.

The key is to make the truth your friend. I log it all, even if I munch chocolate I said I wouldn't have. Twice I've gone to the stationary bike at 11:00 p.m. because the tally told me I was over my allowed total for the day. Twenty minutes or more of biking put me back on track - all because I knew I needed to do it.

MyFitnessPal is the best thing I've ever done in terms of changing lifestyle. i've lost 30 lbs. on the old cabbage soup diet and years ago 20 or so on the Scarsdale and some other fad diet, but those see you put it on again at an astonishing rate, in my experience. I've lost just a net of ten so far (on holidays last week and put some back on) but I am convinced I will keep gradually moving forward, which is all that matters. Good luck!
  • britt_fit
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for all of your input! The support on this site is amazing! I think I will weigh in tomorrow so at least if I don't lose weight, I'll know I need to do something differently!
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    Weigh in. If you've lost that's great, if you've gained examine why, if your the same don't sweat it, if you've been exercising especially with weights you may have lost fat and gained muscle. I knew I had lost weight the first week because I quit drinking at the same time as I started exercising and eating about 40% raw and 90% clean foods. You need to know where you stand and make adjustments. For me generally the proportions protein, carbs and fats don't matter, they need to be unprocessed, organic preferably, and I need to drink a lot of "good" water (not tap water).

Good luck.

If you need a friend add me.

Joe