Why does it have to be so hard!

Options
So I'm gonna be completely honest! I think I fell off the bandwagon! I don't have the desire to workout or to cook anymore! I think once I saw I gained my weight back from week 1 I kinda just gave up! :( I don't wanna give up but I just don't have the motivation to get up and do anything! BLAHHHHHH I feel like I take an hour to make something just for it to take 5 minutes to eat it lol maybe 15min! I hate drinking water and I know thats a big must! I just HAVE to have my carbonated pop for some reason I crave it! Why can't the weight just go AWAY and why in the hell does it have to be so hard!! It was SOOOOO easy to put the damn weight on thats for sure! I know my TOM had a lot to do with the some of the weight gain and my tiredness but now thats its FINALLY over I'm hoping I get some enery back! Okay I'm done complaining now! I just needed to vent!

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    This sort of happened to me. I decided to have a cheat day about a week ago...I had pizza and breadsticks. BIG mistake!! After that, I craved horrible things. While my calories weren't bad..I was eating stuff I shouldn't. I lost no weight that week. This week I haven't lost much b/c I am just now getting back to it. HARD to come back once your off! My advice...hold on tight and don't fall off! LOL
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds stupid, but it takes time to come off (that whole "it didn't go on overnight so it won't come off overnight" thing again). If you've gained back all the weight you've lost--so what? Just start again, don't let the scale defeat you! We all have setbacks--some of us have bigger setbacks than others--but we can all overcome them as long as we don't give up. Hang in there, and keep going! :flowerforyou:
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Lindsay, believe me, it is a struggle for everyone. I firmly believe it's just a matter of getting over that first hurdle when it becomes natural and a habit. I've been told that if you do something for 21 times (some say 28), then it becomes a habit. I stuck to this when I started and made sure that I committed to working out at least 21 times (not always every day in the beginning, every other day to start). And it just seemed to become a habit and now I love it. You can get there too, I know you can! Feel free to vent to us whenever you need that boost. Any help I can give you, I'm happy to help. Stick with us honey!!!
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    it IS hard. especially with tom. it sucks. there are days we all screw up, all eat things we regret, all you can do is move on and ask yourself WHY do you want this? isnt that reason strong enough to make you try your best? even that isnt enough sometimes, and thats ok. the weight was easy to put on, but if you lose it the safe, gradual healthy way, if you change your lifestyle to that of a fit healthy person, the benefits will be worth the wait. stay strong. you can do this.
  • corey_e
    corey_e Posts: 162
    Options
    LOL! Last night I went to red robin and had a caesar chicken wrap and then a mini blizzard. Today I was sooo tempted to go to Mc Donalds and get a cheese burger and fries. Why is it when we give ourselves a little treat we want to ruin all our hard work?! It can be hard at times but when you see the weight fall off and your clothers get baggy it's so worth it! Stay strong! :flowerforyou:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I agree it is easier for me anyway to just make myself stick with it. If I have a cheat day then I want to have more cheat days and pretty soon it becomes a cheat lifestyle, and I think the first week is the hardest. So just tell yourself I can do this for a week. and stick to it after that week tell yourself I can do it for another week and so on. I hope this helps
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    It seems like it was easy to put the weight on, but think about what you really went through:

1. You stressed your joints
    2. You stretched your stomach constantly
    3. You weakened your heart by pumping it full of cholesterol and fat for years and years
    4. You spent money on more food
    5. You spent money on bigger clothes
    6. You skipped things that you would enjoy because of self-consciousness (things you can never go back and do over)
    7. You became emotional and cried at night when the fat jokes were too much
    8. You wondered if people didn't like you/hire you/date you because of your weight
    9. You deprived yourself of essential minerals because the other stuff tasted better
    10. You may have set these examples to those who are impressionable, such as your kids (if you have any)

So you THINK gaining weight was easy, and maybe you didn't get the immediate, painful impact, but it has not been easy on you at all! If every donut or cake you stuck in your mouth caused you pain, or made you sick, no matter how good it tastes you would never have ate it! But more or less, each of those "treats" do cause you pain EVERY DAY. These sugary foods make you sick all the time!

I'd much rather have a few sores muscles then a lifetime of the "pain" of fat.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    It seems like it was easy to put the weight on, but think about what you really went through:

3. You weakened your heart by pumping it full of cholesterol and fat for years and years
    6. You skipped things that you would enjoy because of self-consciousness (things you can never go back and do over)
    8. You wondered if people didn't like you/hire you/date you because of your weight
    9. You deprived yourself of essential minerals because the other stuff tasted better
    10. You may have set these examples to those who are impressionable, such as your kids (if you have any)

So you THINK gaining weight was easy, and maybe you didn't get the immediate, painful impact, but it has not been easy on you at all! If every donut or cake you stuck in your mouth caused you pain, or made you sick, no matter how good it tastes you would never have ate it! But more or less, each of those "treats" do cause you pain EVERY DAY. These sugary foods make you sick all the time!

• cameobelle
    cameobelle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know I am trying to get back to it. It is soo hard to eat right when no one in the family really is. Its all "I have a sweet tooth!" Gosh darn it I wish I could just force everyone to eat fruits, veggies and chicken and not worry about it. I was losing inches last time I was on and don't know why I stopped now I am at an all time high in weight other than when I was pregnant. Good luck on your weight lose I know you can do it it is just getting our heads in the right place and our stomaches. hehehe
  • JeepBaja
    JeepBaja Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    1st off, don't be so damn hard on yourself. All you are doing is causing frustration and then you fall back in to the I-Just-Don't-Care routine. Having a cheat day is not the end of the world. The key is to not beat yourself up the following day and just get back into the routine of calorie counting. Cold turkey (no-pun) never works and for those of us who are used to eating junk food to just stop means that it's only a matter of time before we fall off the bandwagon and over-eat.

2nd, are your goals realistic? For me, the weight just get put on overnight and it is not going away overnight. I use the goal of 2lbs. a week set forth by MFP but I am averaging closer to 3.5 (10 a month) and I can say I hardily eat right. I am eating better these days and less but I would still give a Prius driving herbivore from Berkley, CA a heart-attack if they saw my usual consumption!

You have to remember that the weight did not appear overnight and it will not go away. MFP make it very simple to help you lose weight. I've struggled for years before I started calorie counting... my problem was just plain over-eating. But my goals are not so unrealistic and I am exceeding on all fronts while enjoying the tasty food I've grown to like.

STOP BEING SO HARD ON YOURSELF! :)
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's hard. That's why so many of us are fat. :cry:
  • ashleyinthestars
    ashleyinthestars Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It takes patience, dedication, and baby steps. I started in Oct 08 (well, actually it was more like Jan 09, after the holidays) by only changing my diet. I took the time to focus on making better choices and learning how to measure food. I cut out soda, alcohol (I still enjoy alcohol about twice a month, but I used to drink every night that wasn't a work-night and during football games on Sundays), and fast food. I was also unemployed at the time so I bought food in bulk and ate a lot of the same things. It got kind of boring, but it definitely allowed me to get the ball rolling, get my palate accustomed to less salt & sugar, and I lost 25 lbs! In May of 09, I plateaued and realized I would need to start exercising to get anymore of the weight off. I started off with JM 30 day shred and BL DVDs and I only exercised 2-3 days a week. Eventually my energy levels started rising and I'd do 4 days a week sometimes. Gradually I started integrating more things like walking/jogging park trails, Exercise TV On Demand (where I discovered Leslie Sansone!), and bike riding! For Christmas we bought the Microsoft 360 w/kinect and I have the BL game and Zumba (which I love love love). I now workout 5-6 days week, food is a no-brainer, and to this day I still don't have a gym membership.

You can do this! I know it's hard. I started out at 330 lbs and felt like I was going to die before I lost the weight...and I also felt like, at times, the weight was coming off too slowly. Just always remember that this is a lifestyle change you have to step outside of your comfort zone and just do it for any change to happen. Also remember that MFP is a WONDERFUL tool; it has seriously helped me keep on trucking. I love my food diary and all the wonderful support I receive on here. I still have another 60 lbs or so to go before I re-evaluate and take my next steps.

We're in this together! :flowerforyou:
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Please don't wait a day longer! What I would give to go back to when I was your age...lord you talk about hard...wait another 30 years like I did and you will still be saying the same thing! Only this time your body will have aged and it will get harder. You are a beautiful young woman and you deserve to pamper yourself with good food and fun exercise. Find something you love to do...dance, boat rowing, boxing...something...just do it. Grab ahold of great self esteem and be the person you know is in you to be! That means loving the you that you are now!
  • dmmsquared
    Options
    It is definitely hard, but please don't give up. The effort will be so worth it. Check out this post. There's some great advice and tips in it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/172612-30-pounds-down-a-list-of-tips-and-advice

If you need your carbonated drinks, try some LaCroix if you can get it by you. It's flavored carbonated water (no artificial sweeteners, sodium, calories) and it's delicious. And as for the water, I hated it too, but you get used to it and soon your body starts to crave it.

You can do this!!!
  • tatiana_13
    Options
    Vent away! We all need to do it sometimes. But its not as hard as it seems. Its hard, in part, because you're making all these big changes at once. In truth, if I had to go back to being the person I was 3 years ago, you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming. My tastes have changes, my energy level has changed, my body has changed, my stamina has changed. All in a good way.

Believe me...if I woke up every morning feeling like...this food is disgusting, I hate water, I hate working out, I miss the old me who use to sit on the couch eating potato chips out of the bag and whose body was ageing very, very fast...but I guess its worth it to be thinner. Hell, I'm no movie star. Nobody's paying me to be thinner. If that was *all* I got from it, I don't know if that would be enough.

So...all this is to say, it gets better. Eventually, it won't feel so hard. Because you'll actually *feel* better.

Hang in there!
  • serendipity_2050
    Options
    You are not the only one to experience this (clearly looking at all the responses!!) but I had this the other week, I was feeling blue to tried to make myself feel better with food. But it made me feel worse like it did you and I spent the next week and a 1/2 feeling terrible because I was eating everything in sight. But now I seem to have it back in check.

Although I went for dinner last night with a friend but I counted the caloires (something I don't normally do when I have been 'bad') and today I have been feeling very full anyway so have only really eaten dinner.

Just try to keep in mind what it will feel like slipping in to your goal size jeans, or a bikini. Visual aids help, if you already own the jeans you want to fit into, hang them on your waardrobe door for a boost of motivation in the morning!!

Good luck hunni, you are by no means alone in your quest!! :bigsmile:
    xxx
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

Very well said!
  • v1k1n95
    Options
    I HAD THE SAME ISSUES.

Let me tell you, it can be done.

I used to drink 3-5 cans of soda per day and eat endlessly. Seriously, I considered everything a reason to have a snack (was also usually the most tasty, fattening thing I could find). I also had zero physical activity whatsoever. I woke up, sat on the bus for an hour, sat in class for 7 hours, came home and sat (not literally) on my laptop until I went to bed.

Now I have changed drastically and it was somewhat painless for me because I wanted to change sooo bad. The soda issues you're having, it's all in you head. You don't NEED them and it took me about a week and a half to realize that. From using MFP, I've realized that by replacing every beverage you drink with water, it usually allows you to eat 300-700 more calories per day. Seems like a solid trade off. Soda actually tastes weird to me now for some reason since I had a can two days ago for the first time in over a month.

My advice, like the dude from P90X says, "do your best and forget the rest." Make small changes and focus on one small thing at a time. Weight-loss isn't going to happen overnight regardless of what the commercials tell you. I never thought in a million years I would lose ANY weight, but so far I've lost 15 lbs as of my last weigh in, probably about 20 now. Focus solely on cutting soda from you diet and don't worry TOO much about what you're eating (be reasonable) until you have that under control. Them move on and slowly add workouts to your schedule. Eventually, you'll be eating healthy (there's nothing wrong with treating yourself every now and again) and love working out. Trust me.

"Do your best and forget the rest." Wouldn't you rather spend ONE YEAR getting yourself into great health in shape than waste that year on wishes of overnight weightloss and spend THE REST OF YOUR LIFE being overweight and frowned upon? I think you would.
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    If it were easy, we would all be skinny.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Perfection is optional, but perseverance is mandatory