I WILL!! How about you?

Options
A lot of people seem to forget that this whole weight loss and healthful living thing is a journey with no real destination.

Once you achieve your "numeric" goals, you are still not done: you often have to eat a particular way to maintain, you probably have an exercise you would like to start, or maybe improve upon, or in my case there will always be another race to run. Yet so many people are ready to throw in the towel after a bad day, bad weigh in, or a week or 2 of no loss. They constantly seek motivation from others instead of looking within. The question I often have for them is how badly do you want it? I often ask myself the same question after a fitness/diet related "rough" patch. But I always know the answer...at that particular point in time, I just didn't want it bad enough!! But I have never waivered from my decision to lead a healthier lifestyle.

I just read a great article about perserverance and overcoming adversity. I found this paragraph particularly striking though, and thought I would share.

"...everybody on this planet has the ability to think this through and then make a decision to change, and all it takes is that decision. From this moment on “I WILL!” is the mantra. There will be times you slip and times you don’t do what you’re supposed to but as long as that decision has been made, you KEEP moving forward towards your dream. You haven’t failed if you miss a goal, you can only fail when you STOP moving forward. NOTHING is ever accomplished in one day."

Replies

• HBean
    HBean Posts: 55
    Options
    Wise words
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Some people need otivation from others to gt back on track. I know when i look at it i think god do i really want to be thinner and healthier and go without my favourite foods the majority of the time for the rest of my life of do i want to be fat and happy even if it's possibly a shorter life.

I don't know i do kind of wonder sometimes which is best. At the moment i'm still at the stage where i'm not really enjoying the exercise, i'm definately not enjoying the food so for me it is easy to slip of the "wagon" and yes it takes a heck of a lot of effort to get back on track.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I will! That's one reason I'm not setting any deadlines for weight loss goals. It'll happen when it happens, and I'm going to keep exercising the same no matter what.
  • Kiwijay
    Kiwijay Posts: 216
    Options
    Thanks for posting that. That is exactly what I wrote on the 1st January 2011 in my diary 'this is my I WILL year'. And it's true too, I will achieve whatever I want to achieve.
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    My Profile as well states, This year is my year... I will succeed in bettering my lifestyle of eating and exercise. No matter what it takes to get there or how long..This is a new year and a new me..Thanks for posting that it was well taken...
  • MsRaeJ
    MsRaeJ Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.....I HAVE had a rough week with three sick kids, not enough sleep and lots of stress and it's easy to let things slide (in my case it's ALWAYS the diet that suffers!). It's a journey though and one little rouch patch isn't enough to stop me. This is just what I needed to hear :-)