New Here. Looking for long term help

Options
I have two goals. The first is to lose 60 pound in 25 to 35 weeks.
My second goal is to develop a protocol, or foundation that will help me keep the weight off.
I have two things right now I will begin.
1. Drink enough water ... that is one, half ounce of water consumed daily for every pound of body weight (200 pound person drinks 100 ounces)
2. Consume last meal of the day at least 4 hours before going to bed.

Anything else you can share will be helpful.

Replies

• Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    read all of the labels on the food you buy. compare like items to find the most healthy.
  • Shari_T
    Options
    Welcome! Good luck on your fitness journey. Sounds like you have a great goal. My doctor told me to do the two things you have listed plus try to avoid red meat plus exercise five days a week.
  • jennifir
    jennifir Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me. I suggest you find a form of exercise you will love. mine is zumba!
  • savvynurse
    Options
    Welcome to the club. I try my best to pre plan my meals. I also use the mobile app that way I can log on the fly. Came in real handy today at Chili's. Also add some friends on here. Make yourself accountable to yourself first....others second. I wanted to loose about 35lbs since the first of the year... 14 down... the last 21 are going to be rough though. Add me if you want.
  • heatherangela
    Options
    Keep lots of fresh fruits and veggies in the fridge! I've started keeping washed and cut veggies in a bowl in the fridge for those times when I am too lazy to wash and cut them and am tempted to go to an easier, less healthy snack. This way I can just open the fridge and grab some celery or carrots or cauliflower.
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    Read 'Skinny B1itch' and 'I Can Make You Thin'. Helped me loads.
  • ladybu6205
    ladybu6205 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Here is some of the things that worked for me... of course, what works for me may not work for everyone, but maybe they will give you some ideas.

I switched to WHOLE GRAIN bread, crackers, etc.

Initially, I switched to whole wheat Pasta, but my daughter did not like that (has a nuttier taste and firmer than regular) and my husband was diagnosed with Diabetes so I ended up switching to Dreamfield's Pasta which has only 5g digestible carbs per serving. Taste and looks much more like regular pasta.

I switched to using Olive Oil instead of the other oils and shortening/lard

I increased my fresh fruits and vegetables, decreased my carbs, sugars, sodium, fatty meats.

I tracked all my meals, snacks, and drinks. Portion Control is a MUST. A good rule of thumb: Use a smaller dinner plate than what the average dinner plate now-a-days is. Divide the plate so that 1/2 the plate is fresh or steamed veggies, 1/4 of plate is lean protein, 1/4 plate is healthy carbs.

Cut out or eliminate Pop... even diet leaves you feeling bloated and craving sweets.

I switched to baking with apple sauce instead of oils...

I switched to Splenda rather than Sugar... Splenda even makes a Brown Sugar which is 1/2 Splenda, 1/2 brown sugar.

I used reduced/low fat dairy products...

Pack your lunch with Healthy foods, pre-measured to correct portions. Pack healthy snacks also to fight the urge of hitting the vending machines.

Drink LOTS of water....drink a glass or two before every meals to help you feel fuller and less likely to overeat.

I started every dinner with a Salad and low fat dressings... add fruits and nuts to your salads.

I read the nutrition labels on EVERYTHING....choose the healthiest options.

When I was craving a bowl of ice cream or a sweet of some sort, I gave in and treated myself. The last thing I wanted to do was over eat healthy foods trying to satisfy my craving. It's better to take care of the craving than to overeat trying to satisfy it. Keep the portion in control/moderation and count the calories.

Exercise, Exercise, Exercise. I found creative ways to just get moving. I have been known to do standing "crunches", Squats, side bends, even belly dance moves with my waist while doing my hair and getting ready for work. You can do stretches and strength training while watching tv (sit on a fitness ball, good ab workout)... while doing dishes, you can do calf exercises just by going up onto your tippy toes and back down... put a bit of speed into your housecleaning, plant a garden and tend to it... anything to get the heart pumping.

Well, off the top of my head, that's a few things that worked for me...

Good Luck!
  • peterhern
    Options
    Thanks so much!
    I logged on again to see if anyone read my post and was overwhelmed by the number of responses and the amount you all shared.
    So excited I decided to celebrate ... just got off the phone with Domino's ...
    Just a joke, folks.
    Just a joke.
    Thanks, again.