what size weights to use with 30 day shred?

Options
I just got the 30 day shred. I didn't know I would need weights. What size hand weights would you reccommend? I only have 8 and 10 lbs. Will that kill me?????

Replies

• sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I use 3 lbs and it's quite a work out, but maybe im just a baby lol
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I use 3 lbs also. Some of the moves I think I could do at a heavier weight, but some I really struggle to complete even at 3.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    3 to 5 lbs unless you're pretty darn fit! :)
  • lradloff
    lradloff Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Oh start with 3!!!! Then go up from there. I've been doing it for a while now, and on the majority of the exercises, the 3 lbs still get me good - just a couple I use 5 with! I love it, good luck!
  • als0317
    als0317 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It depends on how strong you are. I did the 30DS with 3lb weights and would sub in my 5s or 8s for some exercises when I knew my body needed more weight. Then I moved to using 5lbs as the base.
  • lilpull
    Options
    I would die using 8 or 10 lb weights. The first level I started using Baked Bean cans! Now I use 5 pounders, but am unable at this point to do the moves on level 2 with full range of motion (haven't tried L3 yet). 3 lb weights sound plenty heavy...
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I agree with 3. I use 3 pounds and its a challenge! Start with 3 then move up when u can.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I used 3 and 5 pound weights. It depends I switch it up. 8 is going to be heavy half way through.
    Good luck..... I love the 30 day shred : )
  • ssoska
    Options
    I started with 3 lbs. but I have now moved up to 5 lbs. I will be trying to move up to 8 lbs soon, but I will start with only certain portions... not the whole thing.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    The first time I did the 30 Day Shred I grabbed my 5 lb. weights. After that, I have stuck with my 3 lb. weights! I would suggest starting low and moving up as you feel like it.
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the speedy posts!!!! I might have to find something around home (like cans) to start. I won't be going anywhere I could buy smaller weights for awhile... But I don't want to put this off. I used to do circut training in university. I loved it!!! I am very much looking forward to starting this program!
  • melcakes
    melcakes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use 3lbs and I wanna die! My friend doesn't use any so if you don't wanna get new weights just go without for now!
  • mhoch
    mhoch Posts: 50
    Options
    Yea I tried to use 7lbs for all of it, but the front lifts and over the head lifts are too much. I got 3lbs for those. But the heavier weights are good for the back and chest exercises. Those are larger muscles and I find the 3lbs is just way to light for those muscle groups.
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I did it with my 8 lb weights last night..... You are exactly right. They were perfect for some of the back and chest exercises. But the squats with the lift over the head and lunges with the forward lift to the eyes nearly killed me. I dropped one of them and just did two hands on the one weight. Thanks for all the response. I learned from this that I will keep my 8 lbs close, but will definately be purchasing some smaller weights for some of the activities!!!! It was tough - she made me SWEAT, I felt like puking afterward, but I made it through. I thought I was in okay shape. I don't think I am quite ready for level 2!!!!!