How hard is it to rollerblade?

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
I'm thinking of shopping around for a pair, but I'm hesitant. I can roller skate pretty well, but how different is it from rollerblading? There's a cul-de-sac the next block over, so I'll have a pretty good sized place to practice in until I get comfortable.

Replies

• justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It won't take you long to get the hang of it. Have fun!
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    If you are comfortable with wheels on your feet you will be fine...It is so great to cruze around on a nice summer day, do it and have fun.
  • bjenny1234
    Options
    I personally think roller skates are harder than rollerblades, I think you will have no problem learning!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I only tried them once but I didn't think it was any harder than 4 wheel skates.
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Rollerblading is great, and different from roller skating. It took me a while to get the balance down, but after I did, it was easy to zoom around.

I find it easier to rollerblade indoors, but finding a rink is difficult in my parts. Anyway, I highly encourage and recommend that you wear a helmetl, knee and elblow shields (for a while I also wore wrist shields). Gotta be safe and protect the goods :happy:
  • turtle12
    Options
    Its has a lot to do with balance, it you are okay on rollerskates, you should be able to get that hang of i t-andits a great workout! Good luck!
  • I just got back from rollerblading for 40 minutes (which is about 4 miles for me). I usually push my son in the jogging stroller, but it was too cold today, so I loaded up the stroller with about 15 pounds of weights! I know I look crazy, but I need the stroller for balance to get a good workout! I wonder if those poles used in cross-country skiing would help with balance? Another thought, I got my pair of rollerblades at Goodwill (a top of the line pair). They were pretty much brand new (but I sprayed them heavily with Lysol anyway, lol)! You might find the same luck -- that way you can try it out without much investment (rollerblades can be very expensive). And just a tip, do not buy a cheap brand -- it makes a huge difference on your feet! Rollerblading is much more like ice skating than roller skating, to me. Good luck! I hope you love it!
  • toots99
    Options
    I just got back from rollerblading for 40 minutes (which is about 4 miles for me). I usually push my son in the jogging stroller, but it was too cold today, so I loaded up the stroller with about 15 pounds of weights! I know I look crazy, but I need the stroller for balance to get a good workout! I wonder if those poles used in cross-country skiing would help with balance? Another thought, I got my pair of rollerblades at Goodwill (a top of the line pair). They were pretty much brand new (but I sprayed them heavily with Lysol anyway, lol)! You might find the same luck -- that way you can try it out without much investment (rollerblades can be very expensive). And just a tip, do not buy a cheap brand -- it makes a huge difference on your feet! Rollerblading is much more like ice skating than roller skating, to me. Good luck! I hope you love it!

Thanks for the advice. :smile:
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    depends on the person....I pesonally have three broken arms from various contraptions with small wheels....lol. You, on the other hand, will probably be fine!
  • chiliflea
    chiliflea Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    depends on the person....I pesonally have three broken arms from various contraptions with small wheels....lol. You, on the other hand, will probably be fine!

You have 3 arms? lol

I'm saving to buy a pair of quads at the moment - don't fancy rollerblades for some reason! I've never done either before and have always wanted to learn! Think I'll be strapping cushions to myself for the first few times!!

Good luck! x
  • toots99
    Options

You have 3 arms? lol

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And what are quads?
  • Riliye
    Riliye Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love to rollerblade...but they hate me, haha. Rollerblading was one of the contributing factors in my knee surgery back when I was younger -- but it was mostly my own fault for being clumsy and opting out of protective gear. Like someone said before, I definitely recommend the guards if you choose to rollerblade, and it is a ridiculous amount of fun, so I say go for it!

I think one of the main different things about rollerskating vs. rollerblading is the location of the brakes -- I can't remember if you can change the position of the brakes on the rollerblades but mine were on the back; aren't rollerskate brakes on the front? Might take some getting used to.
  • chiliflea
    chiliflea Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    quads are rollerskates...
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I loved to roller skate as a little girl, and in my early 20s I bought a pair of roller blades. I loved either one, but I will admit that I found the roller blades to be harder on my ankles. Of course that could be due to size and age! =)

A little anecdote: My baby sister was 13 and I was 25 and she and I went rollerblading. There was this hill behind my house that had recently been paved, and she and I were dying to go down it. We roller bladed up that hill and then had to take a ten minute break! During that entire time, there was absolutely NO traffic. So once we were rested, we started down, her in the lead, so if she fell, I would know to stop and help her. She takes off. Then I take off. Immediately there are two problems: 1. I was going a LOT faster than what I had anticipated and 2. Two cars are behind us. Now, we were going slow for a car, but for humans on wheels, plummeting to their inevitable deaths, it seemed like we were riding rocket ships. Or at least that's how I thought of it. Because of my heavier weight (I was around 220 at the time), I quickly surpassed my sister. We both made it safely over the huge hump where the drain was at the bottom of the hill, and though we were still cruising, it was clear we were in control, as we went up the next small hill, I slowed down more and she passed me. The cars eased past both of us, when just as the second car was passing me- WHAM! I wiped OUT. Destiny was ahead of me at this point and didn't know I'd fallen. My right thigh had mega road burn, but other than that, I was just fine. I was so shaky, I didn't think I would make it back up, but I was panicked because Des was now out of site, and despite the earlier irresponsibility (you've been paying attention to the fact that we went down a PUBLIC STREET, right?) I was concerned about her falling, getting run over, kidnapped, you name it.

I finally got up and started off again, but my momentum was gone, and I was shaking so bad, I could barely stand, plus my leg hurt pretty bad! Des had apparently noticed my absence and had come back to check on me. When she saw my leg, she freaked out, but I was so glad I was the one who paid the price for my foolishness, that I wasn't worried about it. (I hadn't had a good look at it yet, or I would have either been crying or passed out.)

I told her I had been terrified that those cars were going to hit her. She said, "What cars?"
    "How did you not see them?!" I exclaimed.
    "I was praying," she calmly replied.
    "What?!?!" I exclaimed. Again. With more exclamation marks.
    "When I started going so fast, it terrified me, so I thought I better start praying."
    "But Destiny, why weren't you able to see the cars?" I was totally confused.
    "Tonya, I close my eyes when I pray."

So yeah, wear protective gear. :smile:
  • jmcniel
    Options
    It will come to you pretty fast. You will have your bumps and bruises, so getting the protective gear is a must. Today I went 'blading for the first time in 13 years, and I was actually shocked that after 15 minutes escaped with only a scraped knee and shin; next purchase of course will be some knee pads!
  • stacielynn1
    Options
    rollerblades are awesome and such a great workout! not hard to pick up either just make sure to wear pants the first time incase u fall!
  • shimacrema
    Options
    Rollerblades are great. If you can learn how to rollerskate or ride a bike you can learn how to use rollerblades. I learned in the store while I was purchasing them. Go for it! Its an awesome workout. It will develope muscles in your calf that you didn't even know was their. It will also build your core big time and your thighs of course. My only advise that I think is vital is knee guards. If you don't get any other protection invest in knee and wrist guards. No matter how good you become, you will fall and its no joke. Ask me how I know lol

Good luck
    Shima