Daily water consumption

Options
I'm confused... how much water am I supposed to be drinking each day? Some places I read: "drink 60 oz a day" other places say "drink half your weight in water"-for example if you weigh 200lbs, you'd drink 100oz.... which is it? Is their such thing as drinking too much water?Thanks! *I think I've drank about 80oz today.

Replies

• papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I try to do 2 litres of water a day, mainly i have a glass before eating, i find it helps. no idea about having to much, would just bloat me :)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    64 oz/day is the minimum most people need for their bodies to function properly.
    There is evidence that drinking up to half your body weight in ounces (e.g. a 200-pound person should drink 100 oz of water) can aide weight loss.
    Best way to tell if you are drinking enough - your pee should be mostly clear with only a little color. Too much yellow = you aren't drinking enough, completely clear/colorless = you're probably drinking too much.
  • cjudesaenz
    cjudesaenz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    it is recommended to drink half your weight in water as stated above and yes there is such a thing as too much water. These recommendation are for healthy adults. but there is such thing as too much water for even normal people also children and the elderly and those with certain heart and renal conditions need to monitor there intake so not to cause potentially harmful effects.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I get 9-12 eight ounce glasses per day. I have a cup with a lid that holds 24oz that I refill throughout the day. On days I don't work out I usually fill it three times, I'll go through one 24oz water bottle at the gym. I takes drinks of water all day long, I'm never thirsty.

The color of your urine is not necessarily a good indicator of how hydrated you are because it depend on how often you go to the bathroom. I tend to hold it for quite a while, which means it's often more concentrated and darker, even though I'm hydrated.

Get at least eight 8oz glasses a day and you'll be just fine. Drink a couple more if you sweat a lot at the gym.
  • Pattilynne
    Options
    I get 9-12 eight ounce glasses per day. I have a cup with a lid that holds 24oz that I refill throughout the day. On days I don't work out I usually fill it three times, I'll go through one 24oz water bottle at the gym. I takes drinks of water all day long, I'm never thirsty.

The color of your urine is not necessarily a good indicator of how hydrated you are because it depend on how often you go to the bathroom. I tend to hold it for quite a while, which means it's often more concentrated and darker, even though I'm hydrated.

Get at least eight 8oz glasses a day and you'll be just fine. Drink a couple more if you sweat a lot at the gym.
    Also, the color of your pee can vary due to the suppliments and vitamins you use. The GNC Mega Men and Women's Ultra MEga will have you peeing brite yellow for most of the day, no matter how much water you drink.
  • lhague
    lhague Posts: 258
    Options
    I just read to confirm this, you should drink 8 - 8oz. water daily, but there is also other considerations. You also needs to replace water after working out. Below is the mayo website for water.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    I've always considered 8 8-oz glasses the bare minimum for me. I function best on 4-6 liters a day, preferably 6. It can be pretty difficult to get too much water unless you can drink 2 gallons in 6 hours or so. Most people who OD on water have been marathon runners who drank too much in a very short period of time. Just to stay safe, I keep under 2 gallons in an entire day. 6 liters is just over 1 1/2 gallons. When I exercise I feel like I could drink a little more some days, but I don't because I'm paranoid about my "less than 2 gallons a day" rule. As long as you're getting between 8 8 oz glasses and 6 liters, (or a gallon and a half), I'd just experiment and see what feels best for you. Remember that the amount will be different somewhat from day to day, especially depending on what type of exercise you do on any given day.
  • jmhunter84
    jmhunter84 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I try to shoot for 100 ozs, and more when I work out and when I am thirsty! Listen to your body!