Muscle soreness

Options
Hey Fitness Pals! I have been hitting it hard trying to preare for a mini-marathon, even though I won't be able to compete in one until the fall. I want to be in shape by April... anyway, I was up to doing 5.5-6 miles a day, really hitting my stride; and then in the past week, my muscles have been extremely sore. I get through 2 miles and can barely go further. I stop and stretch and may get to three, but no more. I have taken a couple days off, but I went today and only did 2 miles and it was painful. The muscle soreness is in my calves and back. Any suggestions on why all of the sudden and what I can do to ease this so I can get back to daily 10 K's instead of 5 K's?

Thanks! Happy Valentine's Day! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• yacker678
    Options
    This might not be it, but for awhile I could not even walk on the treadmill for more then a few with out geting terrible soreness in my legs. Now that I drink a ton of water they are gone. Totally gone I can go forever and my legs are pain free. Water is the key to my problem.
  • allysonvb
    allysonvb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm really bad at getting my water in, so I'll bet you're right. I guess I'm dehydrated? I'll try to ramp it up and see if it helps. Thanks!
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem, and I too run 10ks 5 days a week

my problem was lack of potassium! might wanna check it out :]
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    When I train hard I eat 50% or more quality carbs and 30% lean protein. I also have a banana a day... and fuel up on good carbs before a long run that's an hour or more. Post run I almost always have a protein smoothie. Lots if water too! At least half ur body weight in ounces or more! !
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Also... don't increase mileage more than 10% a week....
  • yacker678
    Options
    Well I will be interested to know if water helps you. If you are not getting enough I bet that is it. It is amazing to me how I am all of a sudden pain free. It was horrible and I always wondered why I got them. Tried bananas that didn't do it. Now i drink sooo much water.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Hey Fitness Pals! I have been hitting it hard trying to preare for a mini-marathon, even though I won't be able to compete in one until the fall. I want to be in shape by April... anyway, I was up to doing 5.5-6 miles a day, really hitting my stride; and then in the past week, my muscles have been extremely sore. I get through 2 miles and can barely go further. I stop and stretch and may get to three, but no more. I have taken a couple days off, but I went today and only did 2 miles and it was painful. The muscle soreness is in my calves and back. Any suggestions on why all of the sudden and what I can do to ease this so I can get back to daily 10 K's instead of 5 K's?

Thanks! Happy Valentine's Day! :flowerforyou:

I agree with previous posts.
    #1 -increase your water - a lot.
    #2- I would review your diet over the same time frame and maybe even a week prior to the onset of soreness. See if your protein intake is up or down or if carbs or fats have changed over your normal (non pain run times). You could have an allergy to something you ate recently which is causing a somewhat toxic response in your muscles (holding on to lactic acid). Wikipedia has a great bit of info on the subject including a section devoted to how it's created and used in exercise. The beginning is a bit technical but the exercise section was very informative. I remember the kids show Magic School Bus even did an episode on the subject one time when the kids were competing in some track & field event and they went yohow the acid is created and removed and why we get cramps and soreness. I'm not sure if it's available online but you might be able to get a simplified version of the process if you can find it.
    #3-If you're still having problems it could be potassium and or magnesium or manganese (I get them mixed up). Your doctor would know and would be able to test your levels to see if that's the problem. You might just want to opt for a full vitamin/mineral lab and adjust from there. They could even test your lactic acid levels before and after exercise to see if maybe they're spiking for some reason.

Water is above all the easiest to try first. In the meantime, I wouldn't push yourself beyond what your body is telling you to do or you could end up doing more harm than good.
  • DisneyMum
    Options
    Your water intake might have a lot to do with it.
    Magnesium is really helpfull too. I take Natural Calm about an hour before I got to bed. It's almost like a hot tea. I found that really helped me.
    I agree with Raeanne, don't increase your mileage too quickly. If you go too hard to fast you will get injured.
    Good luck!:smile:
  • allysonvb
    allysonvb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Thanks for the input! I drank lots of water beginning last evening and I have felt SO much better today. Honestly, I had been fighting a little depression over the past week, and that seems to have been lifted too. I don't know if it is all inter-connected, but whatever the case, I'm feeling better. I went to the gym tonight and got in SIX miles. The last mile was tough, started to get cramps; but at least it wasn't after 2 like it was the other night. I'm hoping after a couple of days with the water regimen I'll be back and can add to my mileage. Thanks again for all the input- I'm thinking of starting a multivitamin, too to get the potassium and Magnesium that you all talked about! Thanks again!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    yeah water is amazing really. remember we are like 80%+ water ourselves. (could be more, i cant remember - not important ,lol)
    its so easy to become dehydrated...just try and get a habit going of a glass (250mL) every 30-40 minutes everyday and you'l be fine. if something happens with work and i cant fullfil my usual quota, i start feeling crap pretty quick, lol. legs are almost always the first thing that give me trouble!!
  • wrn1979
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and don't use "thirst" as a measure of how much water you need. Your body is well on it's way to dehydration by the time your brain tells you that you are thirsty.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    You might want to throw in a rest day, too. Most people can't do 5-6 miles a day, day in and day out. Your body needs time to recover.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    yeah you shouldnt really need to run that far everyday. even for a mini marathon.

most kenyan's dont do it ;)
    they wont tell you they dont, but they dont.

some run intervals on most training days. 800m. rest, 800m, rest. they might do a ahndful of these instead of running 5k, or 20k, or whatever. but they'll run these much harder than they would a longer run.

i'm no distance runner. does me no good...i only ususally run intervals. and ususally no more than 400m. I might run 5 or 6 of these on running days.

I set a personal record last week on my 3.2k trial by over 1 minute by training using only intervals for about a month. I never ran a good distance in that time....

:)
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I didn't see anyone mention "adhesion". Could be your muscle tissue is adhering to the membrane(just below the skin) that wraps around the muscles, tendons, ligaments and bones. I use a wooden dowel(1.5 inch dia.) and roll across the affected area for abt a minute. Hurts like H^$%, but the pain is gone after that and I'm back to normal in 15 minutes.

ETA: Maybe your shoes are worn out but don't look it. Running shoes are really only good for 350 - 400 miles and that includes abt half of the walking miles you do for warmup/cooldown.