Binge eating and control

Options
So im fairly new to the site and slowly learning about nutrition. Ive been over weight my whole life an have for the first time attempted to change things! I started off really well and have slowly lost motivation. I see people on here with huge sucesses and i find them so inspring. My question is how do you keep up the motivation??? Im a self confessed binge eater. So i do well for a while and feel amazingly proud, and then lose it all in just a few mins of a binge. Im struggling. Anyway if anyone knows of a way i can try change my thinking or control the binges id really appreciate help! Also looking for more friends to support me on here if anyone wants to add me feel free :)

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I empathize with your struggle. I am a carboholic. Occasionally, I give myself permission to "cheat," and then I fight the battle for a couple of days to get past the cravings. I have found that using artificial sweeteners, Splenda, Aspartame, etc. make me crave carbs and sugar, which leads to binging. Processed sugar can have the same effect on me. The only sweetener I use now is Stevia, which is a plant-based natural sweetener.

I fell in to some bad habits during December and January and proved to myself once and for all that life is much easier if I just keep all the no no's OUT of my kitchen. My motto for 2011 is "If ya don't BUY it, ya can't EAT it!!"

I find that eating lots of fiber, and including some good fat with each meal or snack helps me avoid the need to binge. Nuts, flaxseed, avocado, a little olive oil, are all good options. Good luck!!!
  • wardba4
    wardba4 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    when you feel the urge to binge i still have them especially in the evening, i binge on healhy things now. Where i used to tear thru a whole row of oreos i now will have a 100 cal pack of say yogut covered pretzels that covers my sweet needs. then i hit the carrots and fat free ranch you can eat just about as much of that as you want. my biggest problem area is the evening but i am getting better and at least most of my snacks are now healthy.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I love food. It's how I gained the weight in the first place. One thing that helped me was allowing myself one cheat meal per week. Any time I felt like eating something bad, I would tell myself to save it for my Friday night meal. I would get a cheeseburger and fries, or Mexican food, or pizza, or Chinese food. The other thing you have to do is make sure you're eating enough calories and that you're not feeling hungry throughout the week. When I eat 3 healthy meals and 2 healthy snacks per day, I don't feel the need to binge. I eat eggs in the morning and a salad with my lunch every day. It helps me to feel more full and keeps me from snacking late at night.
  • loulomas
    loulomas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I find 1 chocolate a day and 1 bag of lower fat crisps tends to keep my cravings at bay. I also gave up alcohol as my New Years resolution and find that my willpower has improved with regards my dieting.
    Good luck
    Louise
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    When you want to binge, find something else to do for at least 30 minutes. Drink lots of water and remove everything out of your house that you binge on. Only keep healthy items that you can eat. I eat when I get bored so I try to stay busy and have also taken everything out of my house that's not really good for me. The few things that I keep for the grand kids and people that don't have weigh issues, I don't eat. It takes control but ultimately I'm the only one that can control it. Be strong and determined. You'll make it. I have faith in you.
  • xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I do drink a lot of sugar free sodas so i think i will try curb that. I have been drinking more of it lately and i think its been worse since when i think about it. Ill also try keep myself busy when i feel the urge. I really appreciate the help!
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    I have my moments of weakness, especially the week before TOM. But I have two rules for myself: 1) The only foods that are off limits are the pre-packaged "diet" foods, and 2) I am NOT ON A DIET (that term implies a short-term change), I now budget my calories. I go through stages of chocoholicism, but I limit myself to three miniature pieces. Everything in moderation. My biggest breakthrough came when I stopped viewing what I was doing as a diet and started looking at it as a budget. You can't go on vacation unless you save up the money. Ysame principle. I can't eat that guacamole-queso cheeseburger unless I work extra to save up the calories. Funny thing is, after a while your body gets used to eating better and you start to crave the healthy foods!
  • alisonstrickland
    Options
    Hi
    I have just joined this site and motivation is my biggest problem especially because I am an emotional eater and binging is something I do frequently
    I dont know any sure fire ways to maintain the motivation,,,,, but I started my change a week ago .....again.... and now is the hard time.
    the decision in itself is motivating to start with, but when the excitment goes and you start facing the times when you would normally binge I guess you just have to resist and stick to your focus,
    I really want to win this time, I am determined this time to focus and not stop.
    People can tell you lots of ways to stay motivated that works for them but we are all unique and we just have to find what does it for us its your decision in the end.
    Currently one thing I am doing is flooding myself with every book and magazine containing info around weight loss,emotional wellbeing and healthy eating info and tracking my eating and exercise on my phone and in a food diary.
    Im hoping this will keep me on track!!!
    Good Luck on your journey :smile:
  • kbails84
    Options
    You're not alone… This is the most common reaction with people who are attempting to make life changes in any arena, including "weight loss". I believe that your mind is the biggest obstacle to overcome in these situations. You’ll find that as you attempt to subside or quench your cravings you’re brain conveniently attempts to fight it because we as human beings dislike and are resilient to change.
    In the area of eating habits you may notice once you give yourself a “good” thing (lots of food), you’ve ultimately opened a door that is terribly hard to close. I believe you can thank dopamine. It feels GOOD to eat and makes us happy. So, with that in mind I believe you have to keep your mind happy and preoccupied. Find healthy habits to maintain daily! Walking, riding a bike, and better yet: portion control. It is important to supply yourself with habits that reinforce your good behavior. Never do them alone, support groups and friends are there for a reason!
    I personally believe that as long as you’re working towards a goal you should be able to reward yourself. The failure you may sometimes feel is as a result of “letting yourself down” don’t feel that you’ve failed, simply recognize that you’re attempting to make changes and they all come in steps, and time. You will last much longer in your ultimate goal if you take small steps and cut back on over-eating then if you stop it all together and provide yourself with a “cold turkey” new lifestyle. Life is a marathon, not a sprint.
    I wish you the best. – Kbails84
  • xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I feel that just talking about it helps. I don't really have anyone I can talk to about my eating. I can't even be honist with my partner about it. I just can't admit I binge I'm so embarrassed by it. To know that I'm not the only one is defiantly helping. Im feeling more positive tonight that I can do it. My problem is I give up on myself to easily. Baby steps I guess!! Thanks kbails84, my mind is my enemy at times but at least I know I can blame dopamine for it haha.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Lots of good points so far, here's my 2 cents :)

Plan ahead and have healthy alternatives readily available. If you feel the urge to binge, grab an apple or carrots or eat a light nonfat yogurt or protein bar or a healthy meal replacement drink. Substituting healthy foods for non-healthy ones is key.

Make sure you are eating enough (healthy!) calories in a day. Starving yourself will lead to binge eating.

Eat as big of a healthy breakfast as you can. Lots of studies out there show that people who eat a decent sized healthy breakfast have an easier time controlling cravings later in the day.

Have something healthy to eat every TWO hours. Grab a healthy snack and eat it *before* you start feeling the urge to binge.

Build up a network of friends to support you and help you stay accountable. Make your food diary public and be honest with yourself and put EVERYTHING you eat into it.

Take pics of your self now, from all angles and as many different poses as you can think of. Take measurements too.

Set realistic goals for your self. 1 to 2 lbs of weight loss per week is doable and sustainable. Trying to lose 5lbs a week for weeks on end is a good way to fail. It is a life long journey, not a sprint to one month from now and then your done.

Drink LOTS of water, ditch the sodas.