Possible pregnancy?

Options
I'm not sure if I'm pregnant, I'm ten days late and this is the only site I know I of that I can post about it and not have any of my or Nich's family find out yet.

We don't want to tell anyone yet because:
A. We're not sure if I am pregnant.
B. If I am, we're planning to wait the usual 2 1/2 to 3 months to tell just in case [Heaven forbid] I miscarry.

I am unsure when to get a pregnancy test, and which one was the best to use. All I've found out is that it's best to test first thing in the morning because as you sleep, the chemical the test measures builds up in your system and you can get a more accurate test. Also, that you should take multiple tests because a negative test doesn't necessarily mean you're not pregnant.
Also, I'm having an issue with the garlic-avoidance. I love Buffalo Wild Wing's Parmesan Garlic wings, [And I often like garlic in many of my meals] and this is driving me crazy: Do I continue avoiding it this early just in case, or would it effect the baby this early if I am? Some studies I've read say there's no causation with garlic and miscarriages, but that they may still be correlated. You know, the ole' correlation doesn't mean causation phrase. Is it still okay for me to eat garlic this early, or should I just stay away altogether?

So all my questions:
1. When should I test? Is now too early? [January 13th, 10 days late]
2. How often should I test? Maybe once a week for three weeks to be sure?
3. Can I have garlic this early [If I am pregnant] or will it effect the baby even now?
4. If I have any garlic related substance and choose to eat it, is there a point where I should stop eating it? Is that point now?
5. What do any currently or previously pregnant mothers have to say about the garlic?

Replies

• JulieBoBoo
    Options
    Having had a miscarriage let me tell you that I needed the support from my friends and family after we lost the baby. I was happy they knew because then we could mourn the loss together instead of me trying to go through the most devastating thing in my life as some kind of secret.

Congratulations if you are pregnant. The only real way to know is to get a test. If you are 10 days late it should show up on one of the pee sticks by now.

Good luck.

ETA I've never heard that you need to avoid garlic when pregnant. I know you need to stay away from unpasteurized cheese/milk, raw fish/sushi, and deli meats but never heard of garlic as a problem. You DO need to be taking folic acid supplements.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i would test! i tested when i was 3 days late coz i was impatient! best one to do is an early mornng test. you can do a cheapie or get a digital one. digital ones tend to require a higer hcg concentration. if it tests positive get yourself a dr. im not sure where you are from, but in uk we usually go to the gp (general practitioner) who then assigns us a midwife who takes over.

i told my parents and my closest friends as i wanted support if something untoward happened. everyone else i texted after i had my first scan at 12 weeks!

as for garlic, i didnt really have any issues with it. i didnt avoid it! and my daughter is now 2 and bright as button!
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Been pregnant 4 time here. Take the test, they are very accurate early. If neg, take again in a week, if positive, you're pregnant. Never heard of garlic being a problem. Love it and ate it during all four successful pregnancies. Best if luck. It's and incredible journey!
  • AmyMKRN
    AmyMKRN Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you are indeed pregnant it would show on a pregnancy test. Most of the tests are made to be taken the day you're cycle is due. Garlic is fine, but make sure to take a prenantal vitamin and get in to see a doctor if the stork is coming to visit.
    Amy
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    If you are 10 days late, you can take a pregnancy test and it should be fairly accurate, especially if you have reg. cycles. All the different pregnancy tests should work for you by now. You only need a early detector if you haven't missed a cycle yet. Also it's hard to get a false positive b/c it has to detect the horomone to give you a positive result. If you get a negative, I would wait 2-3 days and try again.

As for the garlic, I have never heard of that and I have had 4 pregnancies. I ate garlic all the way through.
  • loria30
    loria30 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You can test up to 5 days early with some tests. I would say if you test now you would have a good idea and it should be accurate. If the test comes up positive right away, don't question if and call your gun in the morning.

I never heard anything about not eating garlic...
  • I ate garlic while i was pregnant i never had issues never even heard of no garlic when you are pregnant. Good luck to you but i did look this up it just says dont consume large amounts of garlic. I thinking they are aiming that at the garlic pills people take. otherwise most italians would have massive issues.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    oh folic acid as well! if u are pregnant make sure u get some into you! i got tablets, and get some pre-natal vitamins!

good luck, hope u get the result you want!
  • cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    you can take it now. no reason to wait. =)
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Take the test and go see your doctor. Sorry but coming on the internet for advice for something that important is really not the best idea.
  • jojomoore
    Options
    Hi,
    10 days late should be a fine time to test as long as your periods are normal and on time.
    First urine of the day will be very concentrated so this deffinetely will help in detecting a pregnancy earlier on.
    Ive always found EPT to be the best brand of test to detect pregnancy the earliest (personal experience).
    As for the garlic issue....well, I never heard of it being a problem. Check with a advice nurse to be sure but I have 3 little ones and never restricted my garlic intake and was never advised too by my ob/gyn.
    Also, if test is negative try waiting 1 more week than using the second test. Packs usually come with 2 or 3 :)

Goodluck!
  • Charrisse
    Options
    You can certainly test now, and since you are already 10 days late, testing 1rst thing in the am isnt necessary. You would probably have enopugh hormone at this point in time to test accuratly.
    Really any of the tests are about as accurate as another. Go get one, test right away and use the second and test first thing tom am. :)
    Good luck!
    There is no reason to avoid garlic unless you are allergic to it or something like that.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    You can test now.

I am 15 weeks pregnant and my dr. said to start with a non-digital test and then confirm with a digital another day because the non-digital can read less of the chemical.

I would test a couple times this week and then call the dr. They will test you at there office to check everything.

I have heard nothing at all about not eating garlic in my pregnancy. If you are worried just eat it once in awhile but that was not something on my do not eat list from the dr.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Take the test and go see your doctor. Sorry but coming on the internet for advice for something that important is really not the best idea.
    I absolutely agree! Better to talk to a doctor or even make an appointment with Planned Parenthood to get a reliable pregnancy test rather than inquire among strangers on the Internet. Many will have thoughts for you on here but remember the best place to check first is your own doctor. It looks like your profile says 21 but seeing the photo of you and your bf (?) you look much younger so please please check about this with someone professional and not simply question those on the Internet.

Definitely agree with Juliebo regarding sharing the news in case something would happen and you'd be alone with the news if something came up. NOT something you would want to go through alone or SHOULD go through alone. :frown:

I hope things work out the way you want them to and your families give you support on your decision. :flowerforyou:
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Test now! and start folic acid, or start prenatal vitamins. Even if you arent preggers now, if you are trying or planning on having a baby in the next year its good to start the prenatal vit. which has the folic acid. No reason to avoid garlic either.!! Good luck!!!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Start taking a prenatal vitamin, and pee on a stick. With both my pregnancies I used the First Response pregnancy test, and I did the tests early. With the first pregnancy I tested at like 3 days late and with the second pregnancy I tested before my perdiod was late at all (I just knew I was pregnant). At 10 days late you are going to get a very accurate result. Good luck to you!!!!
  • StoneColdLiger
    StoneColdLiger Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree! Better to talk to a doctor or even make an appointment with Planned Parenthood to get a reliable pregnancy test rather than inquire among strangers on the Internet. Many will have thoughts for you on here but remember the best place to check first is your own doctor. It looks like your profile says 21 but seeing the photo of you and your bf (?) you look much younger so please please check about this with someone professional and not simply question those on the Internet.

Definitely agree with Juliebo regarding sharing the news in case something would happen and you'd be alone with the news if something came up. NOT something you would want to go through alone or SHOULD go through alone. :frown:

I hope things work out the way you want them to and your families give you support on your decision. :flowerforyou:

Regards to the possible pregnancy: Nich (the father/boyfriend) and I have spoken further and we're getting a pregnancy test today, and will be seeking professional medical help based on our findings, and we are also going to test a few different times if the test comes up negative.
    Regards to the age: I realize I look younger, I was born December 28th 1989. The weight makes my face very round and child like. So, I am still pretty young, but not quite as young as I look. And if inquiring minds want to know Nich is 20. Lol.
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    The post by nstuartm12 was me. I didn't realize I was signed on to his account. :embarassed:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Regards to the possible pregnancy: Nich (the father/boyfriend) and I have spoken further and we're getting a pregnancy test today, and will be seeking professional medical help based on our findings, and we are also going to test a few different times if the test comes up negative.
    Regards to the age: I realize I look younger, I was born December 28th 1989. The weight makes my face very round and child like. So, I am still pretty young, but not quite as young as I look. And if inquiring minds want to know Nich is 20. Lol.
    Sounds like you both have your head on straight and made some good plans! If you find you're pregnant, I wish you a very healthy and happy one Hon:heart:

My apologies regarding your age. I didn't intend it to sound condescending but more of a concern. But also one thing to think about is you looking younger now you will realize is an awesome thing down the road. :wink: