Ladies - Time of the Month question

Options
Hi Ladies

This question has been on my mind since I have started in a fitness program the last couple of months. I am working with a personal trainer 2 days a week and work out on my own the remaining 4-5 days.

Now here is my question.How do you ladies manage to stick to your daily calorie limit (food cravings, keeping active etc) and what not, to safely get through those 2-3 lady days of the month, without sabotaging efforts.

Also I start feeling drained 3 days before my period starts , so that means almost a whole week for me

Any experiences/lessons appreciated

Thanks

Replies

• safetypins
    Options
    I ALWAYS crave salt... which is terrible because I already retain SO much water...

Mostly I just suck it up and don't give in... but if I REALLY cant stand it, I put salt on oranges... because A. Its my favorite way to eat oranges, and B. I feel the least guilty about it.

I'm also CRAZY tired and lethargic around my period... and I avoid the scale because I'm at LEAST 3 pounds heavier than I should be.

You just gotta muscle through it... it SUCKS, but, its one of those things I refuse to make excuses for... its always going to be there.
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    force yourself to do it. you arent going to see any results if you use excuses
  • sarahbear119
    sarahbear119 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just act like it is normal day...
  • savimal
    Options
    Thanks Ladies

Any light to moderate workout you still do during this time? Is that recommended at all or will it make you even more tired? Havent dared to attempt any exercise, until after my third day.
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    Thanks Ladies

Any light to moderate workout you still do during this time? Is that recommended at all or will it make you even more tired? Havent dared to attempt any exercise, until after my third day.
    why would it not be recommended to work out during TOM? that makes no sense at all!
  • 1ofthegang
    1ofthegang Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I usually only skip my regular workout on my first day (so crampy and tired :yawn: ). I still do my wii fit so I don't feel like a total slug...
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    force yourself to do it. you arent going to see any results if you use excuses

This.

I just get through the day and drink more water.

PMS is real, but I am a strong woman who can say no. lol.

That, and I just replace my cravings with my ability to be a RAGING *****! :laugh:
  • cjudesaenz
    cjudesaenz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    actually for me, i feel much better after a workout during those days,,,, i have horrible pms and ive noticed that some motrin with increased h2o intake and a great workout do wonders
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ladies

why would it not be recommended to work out during TOM? that makes no sense at all!

Exercise actually helps TOM cramping, bloat, etc.

Although, if you have endometriosis as I did (had surgery 2 months ago) then you have HORRIBLE pain and can't move...then fine...rest!!
  • safetypins
    Options
    its difficult to do, but I always make myself work out. I've always had really terrible cramps, and they only got worse after I had my IUD put in, but thats never stopped me.

I'm a swimmer, and swimming does GREAT things for my cramps and I don't have to feel so uncomfortable and bloated in the gym... Maybe you can try that?

But really, there's no reason you be letting your period stop you from continuing your workouts. Take some midol and move on!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I give in completely. I'm to the point where I've given up refined sugar and processed foods (with the exception of bread and a couple other things), so eating a little junk food 2-3 days out of the month is acceptable to me. Plus, my cure for cramps is a medium Coke and medium fries from Jack in the Box. One "meal" and I'm cured for the rest of my period. But, I still crave salt and sugar so I get some chips and a little candy. My dinner tonight is Cheetos, beef jerky, Red Vines, chocolate caramel macadamia clusters and blood orange soda. Not at all what I eat the rest of the month, but a day or two like this won't hurt anything. I may see a small gain on my Monday weigh-in, but I know it'll only be water weight.
  • savimal
    Options
    Wow That is something ladies. Thanks a lot.

I think this month, I am definitely going to attempt walking on the treadmill during those days and pick it up from there.
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    For me since I've made the changes in my daily schedule of eating, I am finding I am not having the cravings near as bad. I also fing that if I continue to do my workout it helps with the cramps and lower back pain that I deal with. Everyone is different you have to find what works for your body and metabolism.
  • xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I completely sympathize with you. For me it all goes out the window at TOM. but for me it's the week before it's due. Once its here I'm fine, I hardly even get cramps but wow do I get cravings/binge. I can't help but give in. Does anyone else find it just the week before or am I strange? Lol
  • sek92
    sek92 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    the week before is my downfall, the week of no problems. if i mess up one of those dyas, just chalk it up to whatever, move on and start over, have my whole life to work it out correctly, might as well enjoy the ride
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i try and treat it as any other day. my craving is usually chocolate! but i allow myself a piece everyday so i dont feel too deprived! and as for exercise, i find that i dread the thought of it but when ive actually completed my exercise i feel loads better