TRYING NOT TO EXCERSIZE TOO MUCH. Weird?!

Options
So, because it is my second time around, I have analyzed my previous weight loss experience and try to avoid actions which led to a failure.

Last time I was exercising 6 times a week: 40 to 60- minutes of cardio + 30 minutes of strength PER DAY! If I would not be able to do one of those, I would feel like I have failed and it led to feeling bad about myself.

This time I try to stick to 5 times a week of cardio and 3 times a week of strength. If I'm tempted to do more, I do not do it. I want to choose a work out plan which I will be able to stick in a long turm. I figured that I can't keep working out like I was before for a long term. It is stress for a body.

Does it make sense to anyone? Or I'm going crazy here? :happy:

Replies

• em_lou007
    Options
    Hiya!!

That makes perfect sense to me :smile:

Your right -it is a lifestyle change so you need to be able to keep going with the choices you make without feeling guilty or pushing yourself to unreasonable limits.

Do what feels right for you

Good luck this time around xx
  • steelersfan49
    Options
    yeah, it makes sense. i have done this yoyo dieting for years now! i dont think there is any solution. i am back to exercising 5-6 days a week. but, i have been walking the track ( 3miles) or doing the wii free run) it just takes so long to lose this weight. its so easy to put on but taking it off feels like it takes forever.. this time, i hope to get it off and then just walk 3 times a week for 2 miles to maintain. it is impossible for me to maintain a lifestyle with so much exerise.. besides i hate exercise! lol
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    i think that sounds pretty reasonable :)

hope it works for u

best wishes
    Kirstie x
  • might4
    might4 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think 6 times a week is healthy...maybe just drop your intensity on a day or two. Instead of a hard core cardio workout...go for a nice solid walk. I just think there is nothing wrong (and everything right) with working out 6 days a week.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. I think exercise needs to be an enjoyable experience that is sustainable long term.

There have been a lot of studies done recently that indicate that short bursts of intense activity is far better for long term healh. 2 hours in the gym every day is no longer required - hoorah!!

Good luck with your goals :flowerforyou:
  • Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I totally know what you mean. I am getting addicted to working out and when I don't I feel horrible, its like you said I failed. So what i've been trying to do is even on my off days just do a walk or dance all at low intensity. that way I feel like I did do something
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    I think 6 times a week is healthy...maybe just drop your intensity on a day or two. Instead of a hard core cardio workout...go for a nice solid walk. I just think there is nothing wrong (and everything right) with working out 6 days a week.

I just can't keep up with 6 work outs a week. If I really push it and everybody else around (including my 2 year old son) I can. I do not count walking as excersise. I go for a walk with my son every day. I do not have enough time to work out 6 times a week. I work 1 full time and 2 part time jobs, have a toddler son and a husband! :noway: Sometimes I feel like I'm a wonderwoman! LOL! :laugh:
  • Ashtarot
    Ashtarot Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Dose he walk or are you pushing him? If he is walking then bring the stroller any ways and go till he is ready to not walk any more , put him in the stroller and go home at a faster pace . No I don't think you are crazy hun. There is no way that I could keep up the pace you were at with out something or someone losing out.
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    Dose he walk or are you pushing him? If he is walking then bring the stroller any ways and go till he is ready to not walk any more , put him in the stroller and go home at a faster pace . No I don't think you are crazy hun. There is no way that I could keep up the pace you were at with out something or someone losing out.

Thank you very much.:flowerforyou:
    He walks and runs, jumps, sometimes walks waaaaay too slowly. But we move around a lot!
  • Ashtarot
    Options
    My youngest is nine now but I remember when they were that little. :) About 35 to 40 min. was when I would start to hear the "I don't wanna walk no mores" then about 20 min. back to the house in a stroller It's good to enjoy them at that age .My 15 year old doesn't want to go any where with mom any more. lol
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    .My 15 year old doesn't want to go any where with mom any more. lol

Oh! I'm afraid of those days! )) But it hard to believe that my guy is going to 15 sometime in future! :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • Ashtarot
    Options
    It sneaks up on you that's for sure.
  • momsailor
    momsailor Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are going crazy. Many of us love the feelings of getting stronger, going faster, and having the satisfaction of having worked out. Books and websites on workout plans all seem to include a section on "overtraining". They recommend you establish a habit of monitoring your heart rate - both during exercise,and when you are resting - taking your "resting heart rate" RHR every day. To be consistent, just roll over in bed so you can see your clock or your cell phone, find your pulse on your wrist or your neck, and count the beats for a minute. You'll get a good baseline after a few days. If you find that your RHR is rising, you have swollen lymph nodes, general apathy, muscle aches, it might be a cold or it might be overtraining. Back off for a couple of days and keep monitoring. Then build back up.

There is way too much information out there, so I try to limit my searches to either the Mayo Clinic website or, if they don't have what I want, another credible source like www.livestrong.com. Try this article from Livestrong to see if it helps:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/94707-increased-heart-rate-overtraining/ Happy exersizing!!!
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    I don't think you are going crazy. Many of us love the feelings of getting stronger, going faster, and having the satisfaction of having worked out. Books and websites on workout plans all seem to include a section on "overtraining". They recommend you establish a habit of monitoring your heart rate - both during exercise,and when you are resting - taking your "resting heart rate" RHR every day. To be consistent, just roll over in bed so you can see your clock or your cell phone, find your pulse on your wrist or your neck, and count the beats for a minute. You'll get a good baseline after a few days. If you find that your RHR is rising, you have swollen lymph nodes, general apathy, muscle aches, it might be a cold or it might be overtraining. Back off for a couple of days and keep monitoring. Then build back up.

There is way too much information out there, so I try to limit my searches to either the Mayo Clinic website or, if they don't have what I want, another credible source like www.livestrong.com. Try this article from Livestrong to see if it helps:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/94707-increased-heart-rate-overtraining/ Happy exersizing!!!
    Thank you for the link!