anyone else dislike exercising?

Options
I am participating in a weight loss challenge at my school. I decreased my caloric intake to 1400 as recommended by mfp and after 7 days lost 0.4 lbs. The coach coordinating the weight loss challenge told me I need to exercise the first few weeks in order to lose weight. I really dislike exercising. I have a treadmill at home but seem to last only about 15 minutes 1-2 days a week on it. I can't walk around my neighborhood because (a) it's cold and (b) there are a lot of loose dogs in my neighborhood.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    You have to find something you like doing. Walking on a treadmill is boring. I have several dvds at home for cold days and I go to Zumba and Power pump at the gym. You might be able to check out some exercise dvds at your local library. They also have several on Netflix. Doing the same workout all the time is boring to me so I have to switch it up and do something fun. If you're having fun, it doesn't feel like exercise.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to exercise if I do it with a friend. Do you have someone who you could go to a gym with and walk on treadmils together?
  • angieb1978
    Options
    yer im the same but i go swimming twice a week with my kids and try to do 20 lenghs that i do enjoy but as for any other exercice i am so lazy
  • cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    walkinjg in place while you are watching tv, listening to your favorite music while you exercise is a great way to take your mind off of what your are doing. when you nocitce you have been sitting for a long time getting up and doing something (jumping jacks dishes picking the room up ect...) you would be suprised at how much these little things help you get fit and intrested in exercise. the biggest thing is puching yourself to to the exercise for a week or two then seeing the results from it, that will get you loving exercise very quickly. trust me i HATED exercise and it took me 28 years to figure out that i need it and i feel so much better if i get up and do it.
  • speednut
    Options
    If you have a Nintendo Wii, the Wii FIT PLUS is fun. It's a video game that helps you work out and keeps track of your progress. You do need the balance board for it to work. You can run, play soccer, skateboard, do yoga, ski, ride a segway, etc.
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    If you have a Wii you should try the JUST DANCE 2 game. It's so much fun you don't even realize you're exercising.
  • christmre
    christmre Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am doing a weight loss challange also, but with family members. I used to hate to exercise too, I realized I don't hate exercise, but I do hate the treadmill :p I started borrowing workout dvd's from the library and using nexflix streaming to try out lots of different workouts, and fournd that the crunch dance workouts are great, they have a great instructor, Jennifer Galardi, on some of them, she is the best, not annoying or too perky, and the workouts are not too hard for a beginner. I hope you find the workout that is right for you, it will make working out less of a have to, and more of a want to. Good Luck!
  • bucky17h
    bucky17h Posts: 120
    Options
    You need to find an exercise that works for you. There are all types of excuses for not exercising. You may have to start out slow, 15 minutes on the treadmill is fine. Do that. Listen to music while you are doing it, read something. Soon you will find you can go longer and will be doing 20 -30 minutes. Rent exercises DVDs from the library or Netflix or borrow from friends, see what you like and then you can purchase them. If you have a Nintendo Wii, there are lots of great games that get you moving. Zumba is great, they have that in DVDs, Wii or 360 Kinect. It is fun, dancing and great calorie burn. Best of Luck and remember it is a lifestyle change, if you did not exercise before, you need to work on changing your lifestyle so you exercise and enjoy it! You can do it!
  • ljp41
    ljp41 Posts: 1
    Options
    I do Jazzersize and love it, I tri to go at least 3 times a week. It is an hour and then I'm done for the day They play popular music and the routines are easy. Get a pedometer and see how much you are walking ..I walk alot at work and you would be surprised how it can motivate you to walk more to reach a goal. Go for what feels good to you and try new things , just be active!
  • hollyyoung71
    hollyyoung71 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I vote for the wii fit also... just ordered the zumba on amazon and cant wait to try it. Just dance is an awesome workout and I heard someplace that doing the hula hoop on the wii fit is just like doing stomach crunches although I am not sure how true that is.
  • Bobble2610
    Options
    I tidy alot... You burn a decent amount of calories when you tidy up... and it's all part of your workout, so you've burned up to about 500 calories before you even LOOK at a gym... and it works, cos I don't work out and I still lose 2lbs or more every week.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Just gotta find what you love (or at least like). I havent been on a treadmill in years and you'd be hard-pressed to get me to do it, but I do workout nearly everyday. I like running, mall walking, and I LOVE group classes like step, body scuplt, sports conditioning, and high-intensity aqua aerobics. Just keep trying stuff and try everything at least twice. When you find your mojo you'll know it.
  • shelliewu
    Options
    I guess my problem is I get bored with things quickly. I have a treadmill as I stated and I do listen to music while I walk but fade out quickly. We bought a Wii Fit and I used it a few months and the fit board has since been under the couch. I have a few exercise dvds and worked out with them for a while now I don't know where they are :) I live in a rural area and there is one local gym but it doesn't offer child care so joining a gym is not an option for me. I think I will go buy Just Dance for the Wii today. That will be something my kids and I can do together.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I am not one who likes exercising, but I have found sitting on the stationary bike with a good book and my headset on, 20-30-35 mins can pass without a problem :)

I want a wii fit, but first have to get a TV :) And until a current huge vet bill is paid off, that ain't happening :P
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I hate treadmills. I prefer going outside. Hill, stairs, rain, snow. Don't bother me one bit. I do get bored and either have a partner to talk to or mp3 to listen to music. As everyones stated, you just gotta find what you like.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi there--I'm with you. I live in a rural area as well and it's just not convenient to go anywhere to exercise. And as much as I love to exercise in the great outdoors, I find it's either too cold, or I can't seem to get my heart rate up high enough for the calorie burn. So I slug away on my boring elliptical in the house. To pass the time I download podcasts, mostly to hear about new music or cooking, and catch up on those. I also stream netflix and watch a few shows, and alternate between the podcasts, music and shows. It makes things a little better but I had been exercising for 60 minutes --and it's hard not to get bored for that long.
    I just started trying to mix it up a little and bought some exercise dvd's to do in the house so that I can be on the elliptical for a shorter time....that's helping too.

It is a chore though--no doubt about that....but a necessary one! good luck!
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise that's just moving for the purpose of burning calories--seems stupid and pointless (even though I know it's good for me!). So I got a wavemaster (heavy bag on a stand) and do kickboxing workouts on it. That way my workout is for the purpose of improving my skills, and the exercise is just an extra bonus.

I also really like Turbo Jam (workout dvds). It's comparable to a couple of video games in price.
  • tatiana_13
    Options
    Yeah, I dislike exercising. And folks will say, find something you like. But...I don't find strenuous physical activity fun. Maybe if I lived in sunny california, a long walk on the beach would be nice...but that's not my life, so....So, I find something that I find really challenging, something that I can really sink my teeth into. Like weight lifting (hi intensity heavy lifting, not 5 pounds hi rep stuff). Or hi intensity intervals. Which also have the up side of being quick...20 minutes and I'm done.

I think sometimes we have the wrong attitude about things in life. You don't have to like it...but you can find it fulfilling. Its like work. Or school. Ever sweat through a really tough assignment? Its not like its all fun and giggles. But when your finished, you feel really accomplished. So, if "fun" isn't going to be the word you connect with exercise, pick another. You won't be alone.
  • I used to hate working out. I was so lazy but now I go to the schools gym where they have all sorts of machines and after we work out, I feel so much better and super energized! :) I love it andbim always thinking how I can go more often
  • mariapilgreen
    Options
    Its hard, but it does get easier... get some good music going and go at it.... you will start liking and may even end up loving it once you start to see the results you want!!!!