FRUSTRATED.....HELP!

Options
Hello everyone, someone....

I have recently lost 9 lbs in the last 5 weeks. I have lost an inch in my arms, 3 in my bust, 6 in my waist, 3 from my hips and 1 from my thigh. So everything I am doing seems to be do something..............right! Well, I workout (jill michaels, insanity) 5-6 days a week for at least 40 mins each workout, and I calculate my calories on fitnesspal. I don't always eat all my recommended calories.

I actually gained a pound back this week!!!!!!!!!! UGH! Why is the scale NOT moving! I thought weight loss was about calories in/ calories out. I am making sure I stay under my recommended calorie range and most days I don't eat my exercise calories. I may have a day off from everything, but I still calculate my calories and TRY and stay under 1500-1600.

What am I doing wrong? Does someone have an answer for me.................please help me understand, b/c I am extremely frustrated. :(

Replies

• littlelionesslove
    Options
    Could just be water weight...I know for me my weight can fluctuate nearly three pounds just based on how much water I drink. Sometimes sodium plays in, too because it makes your body retain water. You're doing great!! Keep up the good work and it will be okay!
  • might4
    might4 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are are a typical occurance during the weight loss process. Don't get discouraged and continue with steady exercise. I just hit 9 pounds last week and the scale isn't moving this week at all. I am just keeping my head in the game and soldiering on!!!
  • starlte
    starlte Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    well i do know that muscle weighs more than fat. so if you are exercising and gaining muscle in the process there is one answer. also it is normal to lose weight quick at first and then kinda hit a wall. make sure you are drinking plenty of water so you dont get dehydrated. also i have added a b-12 vitamin along with my multi vitamin. b-12 helps boots metabolism. Don't give up and good luck!
  • teacher4380
    Options
    Also keep some variety in your workouts...your body gets "used to" what you are doing and doesn't react the way it did when you first started a few weeks ago!!! This is that dreaded plateau...add a few more minutes or a higher intensity (not crazy high...but higher) or a totally different routine!!! Also, make sure you are getting at least your 1200 calories per day and plenty of variety in your diet too!!! Make your plates colorful with fruits & veggies!!! Don't stress!!! It is one week....it will probably happen again!!! I used to walk outside a lot (now I use a gym & strength train too) and I got mad because of my plateau....what you have to remember is a mile at your old size burned more calories...now you have lost some of that weight but you are doing the SAME mile...so you need to "up it" a bit...add a few weights in your hand, go a longer distance, up your speed, etc. (not all at once though!!!) I hope that makes sense!!! Good luck & keep us posted!!!
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You could also be gaining some muscle which weighs more but as you know, is better for you. You body will start dropping weight again...never fear! In the meantime, take your measurements, which is a good indication of continued progress. Congrats on the workout dedication! I'm impressed!
  • im2spooky4u
    im2spooky4u Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When that happens to me, I up the workouts and don't weigh myself for a couple weeks. It is frustrating to know you're working so hard yet the scale fights you. Keep at it and the weight loss will start again. Just make sure you are eating enough so your body doesn't go into starvation mode and make you gain.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    9 pounds in 5 weeks is awesome. Now, if you are due to TOM or had something with a higher sodium amount it can mess with the scale. Try not to let one week affect all your hard work. The weight will continue to go. Oh and muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. The only thing that can potentially happen is that the scale may not move but your clothes will be looser as you continue to tone!. Good work and keep moving forward.
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Try upping your cardio this is what is working for me, Yoga helps tone too.
  • dawny78
    dawny78 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm finding this at the moment i go from 12'10 to 12'11 and i feel like i have been working hard sometimes i do think you must not give up though cloths fit me better and i can notice I'm more tonned , a pound isnt to much after all you have lost 9 so far a big well done to you . :) keep up all the good work
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat all my recommended calories.

If you are working out as much as you say you may need to increase your calorie intake. I know it sounds weird but MFP gives you a daily intake goal to lose the weight you want without working out. If you work out, you may need to eat more to refuel your body and keep it running. If you aren't even eating the minimum suggested calories, your body may rebel and hold on to the weight it has now. Just try to increase your intake a little, making sure that you don't eat less than your daily intake goal, especially on the days you work out. This too shall pass. The body can be finicky at times but it will all work out soon, I'm sure! :happy:

Also, don't buy into the "muscle weighs more than fat" theory. 1 lb of anything is still a lb. Muscle will look better and take up less mass but that won't make any difference to the number on the scale. :huh:

Losing weight is a journey and there will be ups and downs. Don't let the downs make you lose your focus. You can do this...it's just preparation for life after you reach your goal. Your weight can fluctuate A LOT so 1 lb is minisule in the overall scheme of things. Just keep plugging away and you will get there! :bigsmile:
  • Katrina634
    Options
    Thank you everyone so much. You are so right! It is a journey and a lb is really nothing to get upset about. I am not giving up, I will just work harder until I find what works for me. About the sodium thing, I did eat a 3 or 4 small dill pickles yesterday while at my step-son wrestling match. Who knows?!

I just know some people (my cousin) who dropped ALL of her weight so fast doing the same things I have been working my butt off at. She is younger and obviously has a better metabolism. ;)

By the way, I just finished week 6, not 5.........type-out, oops! ;)

I have often wondered about the "not eating enough" theory. I don't make myself eat if I'm not hungry. But I was still thinking the less I eat (not under 1200) would help lose weight faster, due to the calorie in/calorie out deficit.

I'll get there......slowly! :smile: On the brighter side, I am very happy with my inches though! ;)
  • dawny78
    dawny78 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Love your comment about the Inches Hun well done thats a postive way to look at it , keep up the good work
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    FIrst guess would be water, I gained 1 pound friday when I weighed, I knew I had been "good" all week, so I made an effort to drink lots of water friday and saturday, this morning I had lost the pound I gained and 2 more pounds. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water.