Help From PCOS Ladies

Options
I was just wondering what ladies with PCOS are doing to lose weight. I am having a hard time trying to lose weight and was wondering what other people are trying. I have been trying to select whole wheat instead of white for the last two weeks but it does not seem to make a difference; if anything I gained last week. Has anyone been trying a low carbohydrate diet? if so how many carbs a day?

Replies

• mcurtis01
    mcurtis01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Try a low GI diet and take a cinnamon supplement. still very slow but may see results
  • are0721
    are0721 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with PCOS....and I'd like some info too. I have lost 17 pounds in about 2 1/2 months, but I haven't been doing anything special. Basically, I just make sure to stay within my calories with whatever I'm eating, which probably isn't the best way to go...and to be honest, I dunno how I'd do with a low-carb diet haha
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My sister uses the carbohydrate addict's diet plan. Its a book that tells all about it. She loses a lot of weight that way. You get one hour to eat anything you want with in reason so it is great for her. I don't know much else about it but I'd say its on amazon.com or at a local book store.
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have been switching to Low GI foods but it doesn't seem to be working.
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS and I usually don't have a problem losing weight at least to start. I've never been thin so I'm not looking forward to seeing if my PCOS is going to give me problems getting there.
    I believe that my weigth problem is mostly from bad food choices and lack of activity so this site is my way to change that.
    I have found that a healthy diet seems to have the effect of giving me a period. Even when it has been years between. So I am not sure if it is from carb restrictions or not.
    I have heard eating like a diabetic can really help but I don't know if I would go as extreem as Atkins or anything.

Anyway that is my take on it.

Best wishes
    Brenda
  • AnnaleisJ
    AnnaleisJ Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I was diagnosed last June and been on this site since last September. So far I have lost 18lbs so definitely recommend that you keep on using this site. I have made some changes to my diet like eating wholewheat and low GI foods for some things like pasta, rice, bread & wraps. The other thing is to drink plenty of water as I think that really does work too.

I know the same thing may not necesarily work for everyone but my periods have become more regular and I have put it down to the changes I have made to my diet and the weight loss (although I was not obese when I started but was very wobbly around my middle which has now mostly gone)

I would like us to be friends too as I don't currently have any friends with PCOS and it would be nice to know someone who understands what it feels like.

:smile: :wink: :smile:
  • are0721
    Options
    This is kind of a silly question, but what are low GI foods??
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    My metformin at 1500 seemed to really make a difference for me. I'm almost 57 lbs down at this point since starting last year. Trying to stick to low GI as well and cutting out sugar (including natural sources like most fruits & dairy). Making it a diabetic diet almost. Also, I try and focus more on resistance exercises vs. cardio because I've read studies that say that cardio alone doesn't help all PCOSers (so my exercises of choice are aquafit, resistance bands, pilates and yoga)

It's hard to describe low GI foods, but you can look them up online and there are lists of them. a great example is instead of making mashed potatoes with a white potato, cream and butter, make it with a sweet potato & light cream cheese. A few things that have really kept me going.

1. If you're going to have a high carb food, make sure you're getting adequate protein at the same time: i.e. never just eat an apple, make a peanut butter dip to go with it. The protein helps change the way your body absorbs the sugars in the fruit so that you don't have a sugar high and elevate your blood sugars (it's a trigger for some of the hormonal stuff going on).
    2. Make sure the fats you're consuming are good fats (fruit oil like olive or coconut vs. nut/vegetable oils or avocados or peanut butter) - these will help regulate
    3. Eat something every 3-4 hours. Don't let yourself get too hungry.
    4. Balance your plate properly. Half of your plate should be reserved for veggies, quarter of it for your meat/proteins and the last quarter for your high fibre, unrefined starches. Keep this balance in mind for snacks too.
    5. Eat enough and drink enough water. You should be getting about half your body weight in oz (So I'm 234, so I should be drinking 117oz - That's about 15 glasses of water). Make sure you spread that out over the day - I have a 3 glass water bottle and do 1 in the morning/drive in to work, 1 before lunch, 1 with lunch, 1 after lunch/drive home, 1 with dinner and 1more before bed. Don't go from 6 to 15 in one day, you'll make yourself feel horrible.

The internet is packed with great resources. Everyone is different though - so find what works for you through trial and error.
  • are0721
    Options
    Thanks for the info, that's really helpful!
  • Caper88
    Options
    This is kind of a silly question, but what are low GI foods??

You can google and buy books that show a GI list of foods. Foods are put onto a scale number based on the sugar spike that happens after you eat the food. The lower the number the smaller the spike. It is good for diabetics and PCOS patients to fallow because they are more insulin resistant.

I have also tried metformin but it caused me to get really sick from side affect so my dr removed me from it. My first week or two of weight loss goes over well but after that I hit a stand still or gain.
  • chewysmommy
    Options
    Hi, I have PCOS as well. I have only been on this site for about 3-4 weeks, and I have lost about 6 lbs. I think eating lots of fresh fruits and veggies help, BUT I think (at least for me) EXERCISE in the morning gets me up and going and gives me energy for the day. I used to be SOOOO TIRED! From the time I got up, I would look forward to nap time when I could put my boys down and lay down myself. Since I have been doing my daily exercises, I have had so much more energy.

I also know that I NEED a lot of sleep. With PCOS, some people just cannot function without enough sleep. At night I get between 8-9 hours. Also, being on a schedule really helps me. I am speaking more from a "How do I feel" stand point, than a weight loss stand point. I know for me, I used to feel like crap most days and it was just really hard to get through the days. Since I have been active, "allowed" myself to sleep longer at night, and started eating well, including really limiting carbs, I have felt so much better.

Hope this helps.
  • Caper88
    Options
    Thanks chewysmommy , It is just becoming really hard to see gain or standstill when you work so hard.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed When I was 16. They put me on birth control pills...I think it helped me loose the acne, dark spots, and hair loss. I lost about 60 pounds and have kept it off. I don't think there is anything to make it too much easier...I think it just sucks more for us and we just have to work harder. Calorie restriction and exercise helped me most. I can't loose anything if I don't exercise at least 3-4 times per week. I recently been watching my sugar intake more closely and it also seems to be helping.

Sometimes I just wish they made a metabolism pill....life would be soooo much easier.
  • Caper88
    Options
    lol astovey if you ever find one let me know. It sucks big time for us and I would be the first one to jump on that pill bandwagon
  • gailosborne
    Options
    This is what has been effective for me...For 80 -90% of the time - I have one portion of potatoes or pasta or cereal or rice or bread (wheat free) per day. I eat only 2 portions of fruit per day. A portion of beans/lentils. Unlimited vegetables and lean meat/fish. Lots of low fat dairy such cottage cheese and natural yogurt. (I don't eat fruit yogurts anymore because of the sugar.) I don't eat carbs on their own either, I always have with protien. When I do go off plan, I find anything sweet sends me off the radar in terms of craving, so try to eat cottage cheese or a boiled egg or something around the same time...it works for me!!

I lost 100lbs and have kept it off for over a year now, however I only had mildish PCOS (not hair or acne issues but weight gain around the middle and period problems') and a pituatry gland that doesn't work well, but things have much improved with the weight loss.

Best advice I can give you - Don't go too low with the cals to make something happen its self defeating, keep it steady and think long haul. Be regular with the exercise and drink lots of water. Give it time and be consistant, make your goal to build a healthy lifestyle and the weight loss will become the byproduct if that makes sense.

I also really agree with the suggestion of lots of sleep.
    Gail x
  • chewysmommy
    Options
    For me, I gained 60 lbs once I went on the pill! So, I am not doing that ever again.

Also, this is more to just say not actual advice....lol.....I LOST weight with both pregnancies. I actually lost about 35 lbs with my first pregnancy. There is something about being pregnant that helped me with my hormonal imbalance.
  • Caper88
    Options
    Thank you for more input and advice.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I actually just started reading a new PCOS blog. People might be interested. http://divapcos.wordpress.com/ I really agree with her approach to the complete change in lifestyle. It's not enough to rely on the medications, but the types of food you're eating. I'm getting a lot of great natural remedies on here and I'm really excited to use some of them. It's not for everyone, but I think it's going to work for me.

Have fun!
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I've had PCOS for years, and I find that low carb works. Not no carb though, you will be exhausted. You can have potatoes and goodies, but keep the portions small. Portions should be on regular size plate...veggies 1/2 the plate, meat 1/4 the plate and carb 1/4 plate. There is also a book called the PCOS diet. I suggest you read it. It definately helps us understand how our bodies metabolize differently. Good luck! I know that us PCOSers have a hard time with losing weight, but we can do it!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    for me, eating low carb is key! i try to stay under 100 grams (or 25%) a day. i have lost 30 pounds this way (only 7 more to go).