What can I do with all of this.........

Options
GARLIC!? My dentist gave me a TON of fresh, dried, homegrown garlic. I :heart: garlic but I have never had the experience of having fresh garlic at my disposal so I am wondering what I can do with it. Besides making a vampire repelling necklace that is. :laugh:

Replies

• tilly6277
    Options
    GARLIC!? My dentist gave me a TON of fresh, dried, homegrown garlic. I :heart: garlic but I have never had the experience of having fresh garlic at my disposal so I am wondering what I can do with it. Besides making a vampire repelling necklace that is. :laugh:
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    We just roast it and use it in everything
  • tilly6277
    Options
    How would one go about doing that? I am used to going to the fridge, opening the door, finding the jar of garlic and unscrewing the lid. :happy:
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a good garlic press. makes it very easy to use garlic...

tpcimage?id=2575&size=250&locale=en_US

This is the one from Pampered Chef, but you can get them at kitchen stores and they will look similar.
  • tilly6277
    Options

This is the one from Pampered Chef, but you can get them at kitchen stores and they will look similar.

Ooh! I have one of those I got for a wedding gift! I never knew what to do with it! Do I have to cook the garlic before I use it?
  • Benson
    Options
    To roast it - takes the bitterness out- I just tidy up the bulbs a bit and put it in the oven for about 10-15 min. We have a little garlic baker but any casserole dish will do.
  • Benson
    Options
    Margie M I wish you lived closer - I sold PC a few yrs ago and now I need many new things!
  • Juliebean
    Options
    Ooooooooooooh! How about some seafood? I love shrimp and scallops that are sauteed with fresh garlic and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray butter. Mmmmmm....
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options

Ooh! I have one of those I got for a wedding gift! I never knew what to do with it! Do I have to cook the garlic before I use it?

Don't have to cook it. just peel off a clove (one little chunk is a clove) and put it in there and squeeze. You don't even have to peel the skin off, then there is a little scraper thing to dig the skin out of the bottom of press.
  • MargieM
    Options

Nope, you just take the smaller clove out of the larger bulb and put it in the press and sqeeze. You don't have to peel them or anything, it presses the garlic right out of the skin! Pull the leftover skin out of the press, and your done. It's dishwasher safe too.... Fresh garlic is the only thing I use now, the minced stuff in jars isn't all that good for you. Plus you get tons more flavor from fresh.
  • MargieM
    Options
    Margie M I wish you lived closer - I sold PC a few yrs ago and now I need many new things!

I pm'd you.... :smile:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people roasting it and using it instead of butter on bread and as a spread on crackers.

The recipe I've heard of....
    Chop off the top (so the cloves are exposed).
    Place in a baking dish, of some sort.
    Drizzle with a little olive oil.
    Cook until soft.

(I would say cook at 350-375, you don't want to burn it any)

Others may have better or other suggestions. I've never made it but I hear it is wonderful.
  • MargieM
    Options
    Roasting garlic makes it much more mellow, and it is good to spread on bread and stuff. MMMMM I :heart: garlic! You can also mix it with butter to make yummy garlic bread!
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny that it was given to you by your dentist... you would think that someone whose job involves leaning over people's open mouths all day wouldn't want to encourage garlic consumption :sick: :laugh:
  • Juliebean
    Options
    I think it's funny that it was given to you by your dentist... you would think that someone whose job involves leaning over people's open mouths all day wouldn't want to encourage garlic consumption :sick: :laugh:

:laugh: Agreed!
  • tilly6277
    Options

I thought that exact same thing! That or he does not like his dental hygenist that works for him! :laugh:
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options

I thought that exact same thing! That or he does not like his dental hygenist that works for him! :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: