How many people drive themselves crazy with watching sodium

Options
OK so I am always below on my calorie count and tend to keep my carbs and sugar at a decent level..however The sodium thing kills me! I do drink between 64 and 128 oz of water daily so if I am doing that do I really need to worry about the sodium? HELP!!!

Replies

• heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    my sodium is always high too. i eat a lot of frozen food, prepared food, restaurant food, etc... so it's the price i pay for convenience.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Watching my sodium has really helped me with my weight loss. When I grocery shop for myself, I stay away from the inner aisles. Restaurant food is so high in sodium- Subway is high in sodium. You're better off just eating at home.
  • Manda1987
    Options
    I set my sodium goal lower than MFP gives. MFP adheres to the American standard of 2300 mg per day, but the Canadian Food Guide suggests much less: 1500 mg!

I do try to keep it below 1500, but if I go over I don't freak out, so long as I stay under 2300 mg.

The real reason why you need to watch your sodium intake is for your cardiovascular health. If you have a family history of heart problems or high blood pressure, you should really be careful about your sodium.
  • jaxcpotter
    jaxcpotter Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I watch the sodium simply because I strongly dislike waking up to an extra puffy face in the morning. For me it doesn't matter how much water I drink, I will bloat if my sodium is high. It is difficult to find convenience foods which are low in sodium. I agree with aznladie82, avoid the inner aisles.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    *LOL*
    my husband just told me i HAD to add my name to this list ...
    (seeing as i was just sitting here surfing restaurant sites for nutritional info, specifically looking for sodium info, and seeing as he and i just had quite a discussion about my 'new obsession' re sodium)

Both he and i have high blood pressure.. and in the past i 'thought' i was trying to watch my sodium intake and eating within limits.. but on joining mfp and adding the sodium tracker to my diary i can see all the hidden sodium and i have become obsessed with not going over 1500mg a day now.

i like to talk about my revelations to hubby and it's driving him nuts because even though he SHOULD care, he doesn't. BUT... when i told my Dr about this site and it allowing me to track sodium so much more completely now, he was thrilled!
  • dawny78
    dawny78 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm new to all this how can sodium stop you loosing weight ?
  • ShellyMacchi
    Options
    Sorry I'm new to all this how can sodium stop you loosing weight ?

too much sodium and you retain water... one of the fasted ways your weight goes up
  • Manda1987
    Options
    It's all chemistry.

Your body tries to maintain a certain ratio of water/electrolytes. When your sodium levels go up, there's proportionally less water, so your body doesn't eliminate as much water as it normally would. That's when you put on water weight.
  • paigeski
    Options
    I have such a hard time with sodium! For my job, they fly me out for 4 weeks at a time for work (I work on the oil rigs as a mudlogger/wellsite geologist) and I stay in a motel the whole time. The motel doesn't have a kitchen, just a microwave and fridge, so its been very hard for me with my sodium intake. I really can't help the sodium I eat, because I have no other option sometimes-either go out to eat or have a frozen dinner. I try to add more fruits, veggies, salads, etc..but after a while, I need something a little more filling. On my 2 weeks home, it's so much better!
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm never over on my sodium.... I'm not sure if the foods i'm logging have the sodium content correctly written in. I think we measure it differently in the UK so it's not showing up properly on the diary???

Anyways, having been a huge, major salt addict (Seriously, I put it on toast.. and pizza.) I have now stopped adding it to food, so I figure i've practically halved it anyway. And I drink more. So yeah, I'm gonna say that i'm good.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    It all depends how active you are. If you do any kind of endurance activities you actually need salts to maintain a decent electrolyte balance.

The standard setting is based on a sedentary persons needs.

I ignore it.
  • Johnsjm
    Johnsjm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Here is something my dietician said to me. Too much sodium will cause swelling and water follows sodium. Therefore, it can greatly affect your weigtloss. MFP says 2500 of sodium per day, but ideally you should stay under 2 tsp or 2000 mg of sodium! Great alternatives are 1/2 the sodium iodized salt (if you really need salt), Mrs. Dash is a great seasoning back up along with garlic & onion. No matter what you eat from a box, frozen and even cheese has sodium due to preservatives. Avoid those high in sodium at all cost! If you pay attention when shopping you will find great low sodium choices, Jif all natural low sodium tastes great & is better for you, greek yogurt in place of sour cream is a great alternative, A good rule of thumb is sodium should be 1/2 the calories listed on the item. As one other reply stated, even subway has sodium so no place really is safe to eat out.

No matter how much water you drink to flush the sodium, it still greatly affects your body.

I decided to have pizza one night as a family fun friday night. Couldn't decided where to get the pizza, I figured the bake & take kind from the grocery store would be the healthiest. After spending 1 hour reading the labels on frozen pizzas and the fresh bake & take pizzas, and making the pizza from scratch, I quickly realized my sodium was going to be through the roof. I decided to run to dominos and read their ingredients. Too my surprise, it was the "healthiest" way to go, by that I mean, less calories, less sodium & less fat, if you order the basic dough, basic sauce and pepperoni only. Not what I expected, but it makes sense, the more fresh ingredients, the less preservatives!
  • dawny78
    Options
    So how do i measure this :/ and how do i get the level down to what it needs to be ??
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I do drive myself, and my husband, crazy watching the sodium especially when eating out. I have given up some seafood restaurants and food because of the sodium, and I only buy low sodium canned beans (which I also rinse before using), and tomatoes. I try to use fresh or frozen vegetables for my meals as much as possible, and I read the labels. No more cottage cheese for me until I find a lower sodium brand, no pizza, no pre-packaged food unless they are below 600-500 mg of sodium, no added salt in my meals. Just lots of other seasoning. No chinese food or sushi, no fast food places.

I am usually between 500 and 1000 mg below my sodium limit everyday, but it takes lots of planning. There are many foods, not processed or canned, that are high in sodium so it is difficult to estimate until I enter everything in my diary. It is not easy but it is duable.
  • dawny78
    Options
    So i'm thinking the noodle bar tea i had last night is why i put on a 1lb over night even though i was still under my cal intake for the day .
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I watch it now that my dad has been having liver problems, and developed diabetes. His diet has gotten so strict. I've been reading labels for a long time so it's just one more thing for me to look out for. And, I'm a salt person more than a sugar person. You get used to it, though.
  • ShellyMacchi
    Options
    Too my surprise, it was the "healthiest" way to go, by that I mean, less calories, less sodium & less fat, if you order the basic dough, basic sauce and pepperoni only. Not what I expected, but it makes sense, the more fresh ingredients, the less preservatives!

i agree, it sure does pay to investigate and be aware!
    i was just checking nutritional info on chain restaurant sites... and i was AMAZED to find i could have an individual perogy pizza (from Boston Pizza) for 1/2 the sodium i could have on just about any item on the 550 cal menu form applebees.

i just do NOT understand why restaurants cannot cook with less salt and leave it to the customer to add extra if they feel they need it... isn't that why there are salt shakers on the tables??
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options

i agree, it sure does pay to investigate and be aware!
    i was just checking nutritional info on chain restaurant sites... and i was AMAZED to find i could have an individual perogy pizza (from Boston Pizza) for 1/2 the sodium i could have on just about any item on the 550 cal menu form applebees.

i just do NOT understand why reataurnats cannot cook with less salt and leave it to the customer to add extra if they feel they need it... isn't that why there are salt shakers on the tables??

I'm suprised Applebees is even as successful as it is. Or still open for that matter. It's got to be the most processed food at any restaurant. I got chicken once and I'm fairly certain it wasn't even a real chicken breast, but chicken parts used to form a breast.
  • dawny78
    Options
    i just do NOT understand why restaurants cannot cook with less salt and leave it to the customer to add extra if they feel they need it... isn't that why there are salt shakers on the tables??
    [/quote] very good idea i feel that this maybe one thing i need to watch ...i will be avoiding the noodle bar till i am down to the weight i want to be at .
  • SillySarah
    Options
    It all depends how active you are. If you do any kind of endurance activities you actually need salts to maintain a decent electrolyte balance.

The standard setting is based on a sedentary persons needs.

I ignore it.

Same here.

I almost always go over my sodium intake each day by about 1000 mg. I am pretty active and I sweat a lot. But I drink a lot of water throughout the day and my blood pressure is healthy.

To the OP: Everyone is different. If your blood pressure is in a healthy range, you drink a lot of water, and if the food you are eating is minimally processed, I wouldn't worry about your sodium intake too much.