Vacationing: All you can eat...

Options
Hey there folks. My wife and I are going on a 7 day cruise in mid-March. Part of the cruise is the inclusion of "all you can eat" food, including 24-hour room service. I plan on watching what I eat and making use of the fitness facility on the cruise but I was wondering if anyone on here has gone on a cruise recently and was willing to share any experiences/strategies when it comes to weight loss while vacationing. I don't want to be a total "stick in the mud" on the trip but I also don't want to take steps backward after losing about 20 lbs. Thanks for any input.

Replies

• turtle12
    Options
    One good thing is that you can load up on fresh fruit! But I have been on 3 cruises and it is hard to eat right with all the great foods. Just dont be too hard on yourself- enjoy your vacation!
  • AmericanNewfie
    Options
    I too am going on vacation in March to an all inclusive and honestly, I am not going to worry about it for a week. I mean, don't get me wrong, i am not going to be dumb about it but for a week I am going to enjoy what I paid for. One week is not going to totally blow it for you. Yes, you may gain some weight but a majority of that will be water weight and will come off relatively quickly when you return to your diet. I would say enjoy yourself and if anything, stay away from fried foods for the week.
    Have fun!
  • gregmroberts
    Options
    HI there, we just got back from a 5 day Carnival Cruise to Cabo. I was worried about the same thing. First thing, no need to worry. There are so many food choices on the ship there is no need to pig out on junk 24 hours a day. Make healthy food choices whenever possible (sometimes it might not be possibe) I always started my day with nonfat yogurt mixed with nuts and raisens. Sometimes would eat a hard boiled egg(just the whites) There is a huge salad bar everyday for lunch. At dinner I let myself cheat a little and it was actually good for my body to receive a change in diet. When I got back from my cruise I actually lost more weight!! Oh also dont get discouraged if you get bloated on the ship. For some reason everyone was retaining water. It comes right of when you get home.....hope this helps. Oh I also had some wine too and it didnt affect my weight.
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I went on a 7 day cruise in January with my boyfriend, my mom and her husband. The food is everywhere and plentiful for sure. Depending on which cruiseline you're going on you'll have loads of healthy alternatives for the duration of the cruise. Initially I was very steadfast in only eating certain things and very limited amounts (the first day). However, I loosened up during the cruise and ate whatever I wanted but didn't overeat all the time. I had dessert every single dinner, indulged in sushi, had bread, cakes, chocolate, red meat, potatoes and even ordered room service one night just for the heck of it. I also made use of the fitness center and because the ship is so large, I was walking a LOT. I was sure that I would gain on my cruise but oddly enough I actually lost a pound.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I've not been on a cruise but have been on all inclusive vacation.

I agree about not being a stick in the mud, especially as you're on vacation but what I did was aim to maintain my current wait (which I think is a realistic aim for being away). Work out how many calories you need to maintain your current weight and aim to keep within that limit.

I know you may not be logging everyday but from losing 20lbs I'm sure you have a good idea of which food choices to make etc. Also, when I'm away I always get in the gym and do 20 - 30 mins each morning just to give myself a few extra calories.

Just do all the little things:

- drink tons of water and a large glass before each meal
    - fill up on veg and salad and always eat those first
    - try to stay away from fried foods and go for the grilled options
    - skip dessert
    - ignore the bread!!!!!

You will be fine - enjoy your vacation
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I try to lose a few extra pounds prior to departure Also, I run, so when I travel, i'm sure to bring my running shoes.
  • gdotman
    Options
    id say load up on the fruits and veggies and lots of self control.
  • dnb3333
    dnb3333 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The trick is to eat until you are satisfied, and eat what you like, so you don't feel deprived and over eat. Remember to drink lots of water because all the prepared food has so much salt, which causes water weight gain. Stay active and any time you are hunger between meals eat a simple snack, fruit or plain vegetables.
  • ChelleBelle1
    ChelleBelle1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on the 20 lbs!!

Have you gone into the MFP calculator to figure out what your calorie count is if you're just maintaining weight? If you haven't, I would recommend doing that before your trip. Don't go with the idea you're going to lose weight while you're there, but also dont plan to just go crazy and gain either. Allow yourself to indulge in things you havent been eating, just dont go overboard. Portion control is everything. And remember it's only one week.

Hope you have a great time!
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    One more thing. Drink tons of water, more than you normally would at home. The water retention on the ship is ridiculous because of the salt in the air. It's actually worth it to buy the bottled water in your room and also stock up on cheaper bottled water on shore visits, even bring some with you if you can. The ship's water is not tasty, nor did it do anything to slake my constant thirst for the week.

Also, invest in the motion sickness patch if you can. You can get them from your doctor and they work like a charm. We had a rough few days at the end and I never felt ill the entire time despite all the rocking back and forth and bucking that we experienced.